THAI: Economy class passengers can only load 20 kg bag from April 1st

webfact

i have a one way flight booked for early April on the Thai air A380 night flight bkk/lhr, 30 kgs. they were the cheapest at 13,000 baht, also been looking at return lhr/bkk/lhr for out august return next year, Thai air are coming in at £508, showing as 30kgs on Thai air web site and 30 kgs on traveltrolly, others swiss, lufthansa, finnair, gulf air and Austrian are coming in at £427 - £485, eva air £560 and BA £633 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

Won’t be long and you will be paying per kg in body weight.

looks like us fat bastards better start that vegan diet.????

Wondered for a long time why they don't charge by the Kg.  I mean Person + Luggage, so they can't be accused of discrimination.  A 50Kg person taking 50Kg luggage could be the same as a 100Kg person with no luggage.  Adjust the trim and away we go.

Over simplification of course, but a system could be designed to handle that with the inevitable exceptions.

38 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And this policy was implemented while they are suffering from massive losses, and trying to establish policy that increases revenue and fills the seats. They must have some impressive people thinking up policy. A real brain trust. 

take the time and read up on the details. It only applies to the deep discount airfares. Why make claims that just aren't true, if you do not know the  actual facts?

This is a bit of a joke among pilots. My wife weighs 48 kg and her bag is 30 kg for a total of 78 kg's.  I weigh 90kg, already far more than her and her bags combined. Yet she must pay excess baggage fees for her bags exceeding the weight?  The new 20kg rate just emphasises the unfairness of the excess baggage rule.  Just imagine having to pay extra for your bags and the passenger sitting next to you already weighs more than you and your bags combined and yet doesn't have to pay. The need to introduce a combined weight rule if they expect us to swallow their BS about bag weight.

4 hours ago, JRG23 said:

Don't think 23kg is standard, only ever get 30kg on international flights

Right, that was my limited view these days on US bound flights, haven't flown East from here in quite some time.

I see other comments now, Thai is pacing other airlines.  Bummer. ????

the problem as I see it is not the hold baggage but what people take on board as Cabin luggage

I have seen people struggle  carrying their bags on and putting in the luggage apartment above their seat

or  in front of where  they are sitting its bigger than I put in the hold

its a accident  waiting to happen 

4 hours ago, Dibbler said:

"New rules said that for four categories of economy class (including L,W and V designations) passengers will now only be able to take 20 kilos free of charge."

That's pretty normal and it means the more expensive economy class (Y etc) will still be able to load 30kg.  Don't see what the fuss is all about.  Consistent with what airlines around the world are doing.  Try loading 30kg on any of the big US airlines!!  You'll be paying excess.

This is a savvy business move that should have been thought of long ago.

i now fly ANA.  much better

Thai airways struggling over the last 7-8 years,  the flag ship airline of Thailand. 

virtually nobody having any money to buy houses here. 

Banks not lending money to people.

But apparently the Thai economy is doing great..and the baht just goes from strength to strength ????

Thai airways has always been horrible about excess baggage.  That’s why we never fly Thai airways anymore.  I remember back in 2010 when I was flying here from Tokyo Japan Thai airways charged me over $300 USD in Japanese Yen just for 10 kilos of excess baggage and we only had like two carry on suitcases for my wife and I.  We never flew Thai airways ever since.  Last time when we flew Emirates Airways I had tons of excess baggage and I was expecting to pay a fortune but they didn’t charge me a dime.  Emirates Airways is probably my favorite airline I’ve flown with them many times.  

I really enjoyed flying Thai Airways over the 14 years or so that I have been flying to and from Thailand, that said, it's been a while since I have flown Thai in my annual trips abroad as their competition just runs rings around them, a comparison below.

Thai Airways Bangkok to Sydney direct return is around 24,000 baht for an October return flight this year.

Jetstar from Phuket to Sydney direct return is half the price with 20kg luggage.

I suppose Thai Airways top brass think that by hanging on to the mentality of, if we keep our prices high, people will think we are worth it, as opposed to realising that real wages growth around the world has been going nowhere fast for the past decade, and people need to feel they are getting value for money, besides if you have a family of 6 you will certainly be looking for a value as opposed to pretty Thai stewardess which you can find at most bars in Phuket on your return flight ????

Good luck with the new fleet that will be going nowhere fast after you find out they won't be worth getting them off the ground as the passenger numbers won't cut the mustard.

Shouldn't make much difference for most of us.I travel light anyway.Will still use Thai fare permitting although BA is getting very cheap for direct flights to Thailand from Heathrow.i.e. 376 pounds direct in May although this is basic economy.hand luggage only.

On the other hand and for all companies my wife for example who weighs less than fifty kilos will have to pay if she wants extra weight for her luggage, while some passengers without luggage will weigh heavier than her with her paid supplement. Some will be offended without doubt, but where is the logic in this? 

22 hours ago, SammyT said:

Anyone know if this is both domestic and international? Seems real short sighted. If it's international, looks like I'll be flying Emirates/Qantas home then...

It has been 20 kg on Thai Smile all the time.

Well let's add the 20kg luggage restrictions the hard seats the freezing cold cabin temp and the crazy air fair price to the list good bye Thai airways 

Singapore  Airlines or Qantas for me when I have to go back to Oz. 

They have no clue do they??  good old Thai thinking at its finest 

Let's make that 600 million b lose next year . There  next step will be take out the seats and  standing room only like the BTS. 

22 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

That's the way it should be, people should pay more if they are much over their height to weight ratio, and everyone should be allowed up to 30 Ks for checked bags and 10 Ks for cabin bags.

23 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

As a another fat bastard I have no problem paying extra just so long as my 40 kilo wife gets a reduction.

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

take the time and read up on the details. It only applies to the deep discount airfares. Why make claims that just aren't true, if you do not know the  actual facts?

EVA offers 45 kilos, plus 7 kilos carry on, for their deepest discounted fares. That is no excuse. Most buy the deeply discounted fares. Sorry, but there are alot of guys around, who are just not in your league, when it comes to paying the big bucks, for the higher fares. 

Has anyone double checked the source of this news...  

I haven't read the whole thread, however, I just double checked a couple of fares / baggage allowances for: A flight Bangkok-Tokyo-Bangkok in May and: Bangkok-London-Bangkok in July - Both flights clearly show 30kgs luggage allowance for all fare types. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 14.43.02.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 14.44.27.png

6 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Yes, but the headline is worded a little ambiguously, and could imply that anyone who travels after April 1st will be subject to the restriction. I'm sure the ticket will say somewhere something like, "Thai Airways reserves the right to change the conditions of carriage at any time." Or something like that. As is usual here it's all a bit vague.

again - you bought a ticket with conditions/limitations at that point in time. When rules/conditions change it only effect tickets to be issued after the changes. At check in you can show then the allowed weight and argue the point if they say anything

On 3/6/2019 at 8:50 AM, CGW said:

That should help - people to choose another airline ????

Should help with cutting fuel costs as they will have less passengers on-board ????

Airlines that allow 30kg and are not a government cartel will be happy with this latest idiocy! ????

The more popular airlines flying to Bangkok don't allow more then 20-25kg. 
What Thai airways is doing is in line with what the competition is doing. 

I have always wondered why people are stuffing their oversize luggage to the brim when they leave on holiday. 

Limit the weight further to 15kg (all airlines) and have people pay for the extra weight they want to bring on board. 

This is beneficial for the passengers as well as not everybody takes more then 20kg in general and this way tickets will become slightly cheaper increasing 
occupation. 

Sounds like a win-win. 

Myself I carry maximum 12kg on a trip and if I leave the crap at home I don't use in Thailand I think it would be around 10.5 kg.

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

20 kg of hold luggage per person is fast becoming the norm for most airlines.

Over 20 kg you pay a heavy penalty!

This prevented us from taking a quick ski trip to Europe after Christmas. 

The flights were ok, but the baggage fees were extortionate (with all airlines we checked with), thus we couldn't get our kit there for a reasonable price and gave up on the idea of staying at a friends apartment (for free!)... 

That said: For the past 10 years or more we've been flying backwards and forwards to the UK twice per year and have always received 30kgs allowance in Economy or more with elevated Frequent Flyer memberships. 

20 kgs is tough. 

Last Summer: Returned from the UK with 96 kgs (between 3 of us) Bike for my Son and other stuff

Last Month: Flew to Japan with 66kgs (between 3 of us) ski gear.

Christmas: Returned from the UK with 90+ Kgs (between 3 of us) - Sons Christmas Presents and some kit for my motorcycle. 

It seems that on each journey the 30kg limit is tough enough !

The most weight I've traveled with is 115kgs with my Wife (before my Son was born) we'd bought a load of stuff in the UK which was 2-3 times the price here (we were Gold Card members flying business class so had loads of Baggage allowance which we took full advantage of).

Archived