THAI: Economy class passengers can only load 20 kg bag from April 1st

webfact

On 3/6/2019 at 2:50 PM, CGW said:

That should help - people to choose another airline ????

Should help with cutting fuel costs as they will have less passengers on-board ????

Airlines that allow 30kg and are not a government cartel will be happy with this latest idiocy! ????

Well, don't look at VietJet airline.

I booked my flights - C.M. to Saigon, Saigon to Quy Nhon - and got to the airport with the same small carry-on suitcase and small back pack that I had moved from the U.S.. with, through Vancouver and Beijing and they charged me extra for the suitcase b/c it was over the 10 Kg - THAT IS TEN KILO - weight limit for carry-ons.... 

Then (after I threw away some things and re-packed dirty clothes into the backpack) in Saigon - where I had to stay for a night b/c I had missed the scheduled connecting flight - they said they did not permit a carry-on luggage at all, (unlike Air Canada and China Air) apart from the small backpack - so I had to pay again - since they had refused to send my checked bag through onto the connecting flight ( which I missed anway b/c I lost time searching for my bag in the Lost and Found, after getting my Vietnam online visa for which the line took about as much time as the flight to Saigon, 

What I don't get is that it is the same amount of weight whether you check it into the hold or carry it on with you - I mean saying that you travel light and have only a small piece that fits within the small limits they specify for carry-on luggage. It would have been decent and honest of the airline to make it clear that the cost of the ticket does not include the luggage fee.

Also you should consider that with VietJEt you get to have your flight changed at the last minute, or after the last minute - to a different Boarding Gate - and they don't post the change on the message boards, and they have been known to lose luggage entirely - and not give sh1ft about you complaining.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

On the other hand and for all companies my wife for example who weighs less than fifty kilos will have to pay if she wants extra weight for her luggage, while some passengers without luggage will weigh heavier than her with her paid supplement. Some will be offended without doubt, but where is the logic in this? 

It is just the one thing airlines aren't allowed to do, make passengers pay according to weight.  Because that is basically what you are saying. Because you weight less you can 
bring more luggage on board.

How offended would you be if your weight gets checked in front of 100's of people and you are far more heavier then your own estimate.

"THAI have reportedly been losing billions of baht in recent years."

Maybe if they tried reducing their prices they would have more customers? Not exactly rocket science! (Or airplane science for that matter!) And this latest move will just drive customers away to other airlines who allow 30 kilos free baggage.

When you are going long haul for a 3/4 week holiday, the ladies in particular need to carry more in the way of clothes, make up etc - different if you are just going short haul for a week. 

1 minute ago, Bastos60 said:

It is just the one thing airlines aren't allowed to do, make passengers pay according to weight.  Because that is basically what you are saying. Because you weight less you can 
bring more luggage on board.

How offended would you be if your weight gets checked in front of 100's of people and you are far more heavier then your own estimate.

Probably happens at Weight Watchers all the time!

8 hours ago, plastkort said:

hmmm.... early april fools or what ? ????

Say no more.

I just went on West East flights LHR - BKK - LHR for April 24th and the baggage allowance is 30 KG both ways.

If this is in fact an April Fool joke it's in pretty poor taste.

7 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

and this is how it should be all along IMO

why should i get a charge $160 for bag 4kg over limit when a fat bastard will sit next to me who weigh more than me and my bag??

then all the fat spills out over the armrest, and both on either side must sit squashed and restricted for a xx hour flight.

No NO NOO these fat bastards should be measured accross the abdomen and made to pay for a 1st class upgrade if they cant fit in a nornal seat.

they eat and spend 4x as much on food as any normal person does, so sure they can buy 2 seats

or to first class and pig into all the free food and drink they want

I've got a pal who's a fat bastard who eats but drinks less than I do. Some of 'em can't do anything about it, it's in their genes.

They ought to be given extra blankets and be allowed to travel in the cargo hold. Like they do with dogs and cats etc. I would be quite happy doing that if you could lie down on the suitcases and sleep. And I'm not fat. Not very anyway.

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I've got a pal who's a fat bastard who eats but drinks less than I do. Some of 'em can't do anything about it, it's in their genes.

They ought to be given extra blankets and be allowed to travel in the cargo hold. Like they do with dogs and cats etc. I would be quite happy doing that if you could lie down on the suitcases and sleep. And I'm not fat. Not very anyway.

I have never known anyone on a long hunger strike stay fat because it's in their genes, Mostly it is in and overlapping their JEANS.  lol

Lowering the limit to 20 kgs checkin baggage is stated as for some classes of Economy only. Therefore to check in 30 kgs you`ll have to pay more. Doubt fuel costs have got anything to do with it. Of course, loss of passengers on TG and flying with more empty seats won`t help this flawed revenue raising measure.

What is happening to Thailand? 

"Too big for their boots" in all departments. 

Nevermind the Chinese will still keep coming.

Thai Air are losing money so alienate more people.

Nevermind the Chinese will still come.

Someone should explain to someone somewhere that Thailand does not run the world and there are other countries that people can visit.

On 3/6/2019 at 3:18 PM, z42 said:

What calibre of idiot would go out of their way to make a policy that right off the bat makes their company's product both inferior and less competitive than the competition.... 

smh ????

Farang no understan business. 

Next, when fewer passengers are booking because of this they'll increase fares to compensate!

Back in the 90's, I had many excellent flights between Korea and Los Angeles and Korea, Taiwan and Thailand. I remember having pretty nice wine and comfortable seats and being able to watch, on one trans-pacific flight, Men in Black  which, for a Hollywood movie, was at least semi-interesting. I was impressed and would have continued flying Thai but other air carriers badly undercut their rates offering better value.  But just two years ago coming to and from Nepal on a specially priced 10,000 baht round tripper was literally bullied and abused by staff for little to no reason. On one leg of the journey, I had momentarily lost my passport, it had somehow fallen out of my pocket, and as it eventually transpired, had gotten under the seat and been inexplicably moved under some kind of metal plate they had mounted in which barely enough space for the passport to get under had been left. So after five minutes of rummaging around, the flight attendant asked me what i was doing. I said my passport seemed to have fallen out of my pocket, that I had taken a look at it when I had just got to my seat and that it must be around somewhere, and without even the slightest offer to help she quite brusquely said, "I'm sorry about that sir, but please sit down. Why you worried anyway, you can just get another passport when we get to Thailand." Completely ridiculous and inconsiderate solution and I said calmly that I didn't think immigration would like it too much if i were to arrive without my passport could you just give me a minute, I'm sure the passport is right here and she took offense to the perceived criticism, "Why you say that!? You just tell them you lost your passport on the plane, it is just an accident, a mistake, of course they understand that? Why you think something so bad about Thai police  like that?" And I probably unwisely sassed her right back, "Come on lady who are you kidding?" And she went on her way doing her rounds. I sat down and the Nepalese guy sitting next to me began helping me and he was the one who miraculously found it under the aforementioned metal plate using his flashlight to be able to find it. It took quite awhile to extricate it using a pen to get under the plate and push  the passport out from under and again she didn't care. "Sir, I already asked you to sit down! You are blocking the aisle. If passengers want to use restroom, they cannot get by. You need to get into your seat." I replied, "well, what do you think? That I won't get out of their way?" It meant nothing that not only had I found my passport but it was under their metal plate that was a feature of the seat they had assigned me to at the absolute back of the plane in the very last row and that I need 30 seconds or so to solve the issue.  Again she wouldn't  even so much as listen to what I was saying let alone offer to help. She probably didn't like my fashion sense or the shape of my nose or whatever and thus didn't deserve minimal help or concern. There was no turbulence or even a fasten your seat belt sign on either making it a clear necessity that one be seated. It was just raw naked passive aggression. And when I got off the plane, surprise, surprise, I was apprehended by airport security, searched and when they found nothing incriminating told "Sorry, na, but my co-worker here (a guy) thinks you're a sexy man and just wanted to get to know you better," and off they went snickering and high fiving on down the hall and into the distance.    I would guess the air hostess set the search up. I have never been searched before or since coming off of a flight. And further to all this, rather incredibly, on the flight out the male flight attendant referred to me as "madame." When he did it a second time, I asked, "Why are you referring to me as madame? Am I clearly not a male? You know that the English word madame is used to refer to women, right?" He just gave me a long look and said, "Yes, madame." It makes me laugh to think about now but was quite humiliating at the time. The thoroughly enjoyable ting tong retired Japanese ex-Zen monk bloke who wore one of those Bell bicycle helmets making himself look like some kind of Kabuki actor sitting next to me was also incredulous, "Yeah, he calling you a lady! Why he do that?! Haha...oh...And you have the beard and moustache!Thai people...they really crazy, isn't they! Haha!" Tangential to all this, I asked the ex-Zen monk why he was wearing a bicycle helmet and he said "I like ride the bicycle! Haha! And anyway, I think maybe they will crash this plane! Haha! Safety! Safety! You should always wear crash helmet when you walking or in home! In Thailand and Nepal have many things fall on your head! Haha! Nepal has many earthquake!" I told him I had to admit but he was a wiser man than most for wearing a Bell helmet everywhere and why did he stop being a Zen monk?" "Haha! I'd rather drink beer! And ride bicycle! Haha!" I said sincerely impressed, "Oh wow. That is actually quite profound. I think you must have achieved liberation. Congratulations! And how very fortunate to be sitting next to you! Maybe that's your path, eh?" "Of course! Haha! Its my path! Haha!" And then the flight attendant continued with whatever game he was playing and made a point to refer to me as madame two more times, once when there was no need particularly to even speak to me. "can I get you another drink madame?!" I wasn't drinking anything, The guy was actively provoking me just for his own amusement. I would guess I wouldn't be the first passenger Thai Air staff have gone out of there way to mess with, so in addition to sometimes extortionate ticket costs and now a less generous baggage allowance because they want to cut corners rather than fix their problems, I for one have to consider how I will also be mistreated because I don't follow their unspoken regulations about hair length, fashion choices  and body size, nose length and degree of pointedness or who ever knows what their issue with me was I'm perfectly well behaved, bathed and manicured. Perhaps they also need to specify perhaps printed out on a poster with explanatory diagrams and posted at the check in counter, that ones appearance if not meeting certain specifications ie, that one not be over 6 foot 3 and weigh less than 250 lbs, that ones nose not protrude further than 3/8's of an inch from the extrapolated plane of one's face and the maker of one's eyeglasses not be a sponser of Thai Air that one  will not be eligible for basic respect and courtesy from cabin staff without a 10% upgrade fee, they new "basic courtesy" add on.

Back in the 90's, I had many excellent flights between Korea and Los Angeles and Korea, Taiwan and Thailand. I remember having pretty nice wine and comfortable seats and being able to watch, on one trans-pacific flight, Men in Black  which, for a Hollywood movie, was at least semi-interesting. I was impressed and would have continued flying Thai but other air carriers badly undercut their rates offering better value.  But just two years ago coming to and from Nepal on a specially priced 10,000 baht round tripper was literally bullied and abused by staff for little to reason. On one leg of the journey, I had momentarily lost my passport, it had somehow fallen out of my pocket, and as it eventually transpired, had gotten under the seat and inexplicably gotten moved under some kind of metal plate they had mounted under the seat with barely enough space for the passport to get under it. So after five minutes of rummaging around, the flight attendant asked me what i was doing. I said my passport seemed to have fallen out of my pocket, that I had taken a look at it when I had just got to my seat and that it must be around somewhere, and without even the slightest offer to help she quite brusquely said, "I'm sorry about that sir, but please sit down. Why you worried anyway, you can just get another passport when we get to Thailand." Completely ridiculous and inconsiderate solution and I said calmly that I didn't think immigration would like it too much if i were to arrive without my passport could you just give me a minute, I'm sure the passport is right here and she took offense to the perceived criticism, "Why you say that!? You just tell them you lost your passport on the plane, it is just an accident, a mistake, of course they understand that? Why you think something so bad about Thai police  like that?" And I probably unwisely sassed her right back, "Come on lady who are you kidding?" And she went on her way doing her rounds. I sat down and the Nepalese guy sitting next to me began helping me and he was the one who miraculously found it under the aforementioned metal plate using his flashlight to be able to find it. It took quite awhile to extricate it using a pen to get under the plate and push  the passport out from under and again she didn't care. "Sir, I already asked you to sit down! You are blocking the aisle. If passengers want to use restroom, they cannot get by. You need to get into your seat." "well, what do you think? That I won't get out of their way?" It meant nothing that not only had I found my passport but it was under their metal plate that was a feature of the seat they had assigned me to at the absolute back of the plane in the very last row.  Again she wouldn't  even so much as a offer to help. She probably didn't like my fashion sense or the shape of my nose or whatever and thus didn't deserve minimal help or concern. There was no turbulence or even a fasten your seat belt sign on either making it a clear necessity that one be seated. But when I got off the plane I was apprehended by airport security searched and when they found nothing incriminating told "Sorry, na, but my co-worker here (a guy) thinks you're a sexy man and just wanted to get to know you more," and they both snickered  as they p****d off somewhere else. I would guess the air hostess set the search up. I have never been searched before or since coming off of a flight. And incredibly, on the flight out the male flight attendant referred to me as "madame." When he did it a second time, I asked, "Why are you referring to me as madame? Am I clearly not a male? You know that the English word madame is used to refer to women, right?" He just gave me a long look and said, "Yes, madame." The thoroughly enjoyable ting tong retired Japanese ex-Zen monk who wore one of those Bell bicycle helmets making himself look like some kind of Kabuki actor sitting next to me was also incredulous, "Yeah, he calling you a lady! Why he doing that?! Haha...oh...And you have the beard and moustache! Thai people...they crazy! Haha!" Tangential to all this, I asked the ex-Zen monk why he was wearing a bicycle helmet and he said "I like ride the bicycle! Haha! And anyway, I think maybe they will crash this plane! Haha! Safety! Safety! You should always wear crash helmet when you walking or in home! In Thailand and Nepal have many things fall on your head! Haha! Nepal has many earthquake!" I told him I had to admit but he was wiser man than most and why did he stop being a Zen monk?" "haha! I'd rather drink beer! And ride bicycle! Haha!" I said sincerely impressed, "Oh wow. That is profound. I think you must have achieved liberation. Congratulations! And how very fortunate to be sitting next to you! Maybe that's your path, eh?" "Of course! Haha!" And then the flight attendant continued with whatever game he was playing and made a point to refer to me as madame two more times, once when there was no need particularly to even speak to me. The guy was actively provoking me just for his own amusement. I would guess I wouldn't be the first passenger Thai Air staff have gone out of there way to mess with, so in addition to sometimes extortionate ticket costs and now a less generous baggage allowance because they want to cut corners rather than fix their problems, I for one have to consider how I will also be mistreated because I don't follow their unspoken regulations about hair length, fashion choices  and body size, nose length and degree of pointedness. Perhaps they also need to specify perhaps printed out on a poster with explanatory diagrams and posted at the check in counter, that ones appearance if not meeting certain specifications ie, that one not be over 6 foot 3 and weigh less than 250 lbs, that ones nose not protrude further than 3/8's of an inch from the extrapolated plane of one's face that one  will not be eligible for basic respect and courtesy from cabin staff.

<deleted> are you on about?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

53 minutes ago, NoComment said:

What is happening to Thailand? 

"Too big for their boots" in all departments. 

Nevermind the Chinese will still keep coming.

Thai Air are losing money so alienate more people.

Someone should explain to someone somewhere that Thailand does not run the world and there are other countries that people can visit.

Yes the Chinese will come , BUT not on Thai.........Chinese are quality customers TAT says.  lol

On 3/6/2019 at 3:41 PM, KMartinHandyman said:

Possibly the reporting isn’t clear and it’s two free bags each less than 20kg (Emirates is 2 at 23kg each) which wouldn’t be so out of line.

Doesn't say that at all! Clearly says ONE bag at 20kg or less.

What a crock! Thai targets the less affluent and claim "fuel costs",. Yeah right! I'm gonna make a  little assumption here and guess Thai Air will replace that luggage with a far pricier commercial cargo. 

1 hour ago, farq said:

Doesn't say that at all! Clearly says ONE bag at 20kg or less.

Where does it say that?

I've checked a few bookings (to Japan and UK) for May and July this year and a 30kg baggage allowance is clear. 

Could this be flights to certain destinations only (i.e. US) ???

Thank you Thai Airways, it will allow them to load better and more edible food now ........... Possibly also one or two cabin crew more who are dedicated to the job and not only walking nose-up up and down the aisles as if on a cat walk! 

Take alternatives, plenty of carriers with better seats, more modern equipment, bigger baggage allowance and nicer customer service. 

Thai Airways are certainly shooting themselves in the foot by doing this, most other international flights have 23 kg luggage as a minimum limit. Furthermore, are Thai Airways the most expensive on routes from Europe to Thailand, I am always using Aeroflot or other, as it is almost half the Thai price. Thai Airways does not have any low price in the low season either. Why are the prices 30% to 50% higher than other, ok, you gain 2 hours in travel time,  11 hours contra 13 to 15 hours, but that gives you a very good time price for yourself typical 1-300$/hour(one stop) Their massive loss in 2018 must be on the responsibility of poor management, too many chefs in the kitchen 

Carrying more weight means higher fuel burn. Hence the decision to cut baggage allowance as a cost-cutting measure. Unfortunately TG's problems go way deeper than this - bad fleet mix, half empty aircraft, locking in to poor fuel hedging, institutionalised freeloading etc.  

What I have noticed from this discussion is that there seems to be a potential split in baggage allowance by region. I have been flying between London - BKK for many years and the checked baggage allowance in economy on EVA for a long time was 20kg (can't remember TG). I never recall it being higher than that on EVA when I flew economy, though I could be wrong. I am aware it did increase at some point after I started flying premium economy about 4 years ago and it now stands at 30kg except for cheapest cat A fares. In premium, the current allowance on EVA is 35kg. So I'm quite surprised to read their allowance when flying between the US to BKK is 2 * 23kg in economy. TG are potentially shooting themselves in the foot if they are reducing to 23kg on the USA route if competitors offer more. 

I'm also rather surprised at the EVA generosity between USA and BKK since the allowance flying between UK and USA in economy is typically no more than 23kg (have flown several UK and US airlines transatlantic). 

Also agree the weight allowance should be body weight and baggage combined. But you can hardly see that happening really, lawyers and pressure groups will be queueing up... ????

23 kg bag weight is pretty standard for international flights. Usually two bag limit (46kg) but many cutting back to one bag. Limiting to a 20kg bag is a self-inflicted wound and will do nothing to help their bottom line. I would understand going into line with the majority of airlines at a single 23kg bag, 20kg is a mistake.

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The mass hysteria begins. All based on incorrect information.And of course ignorance takes hold. People who do not fly very often weigh in with their  unfounded claims.  STOP.    YOU ARE WRONG.

The change in weight limits reflects the current market and still remains MORE GENEROUS  than TG low cost competitors.

Only the discounted fares are impacted. the deep discount basic fares like group discounts and advance excursion rate.  More specifically;

1) fare class  L/ V/ W: for Ticketing/ Travelling effective on / after 01 APR 19
2) fare class G:  for Ticketing/ Travelling effective on/ after 01 JUL 19

PAX who pay more will still have their best of industry complimentary baggage allowance.

Really? Which airlines on the Asian routes provide 30kg to discounted economy class tickets? name one full service airline. Name one LCC. 

Oh, and you know this because? Seriously, do you think the airline  is making money on the ultra cheap tickets where  the pax  maximize their  baggage allowance?  If TG can get rid of some bottom feeders, good for the airline.

The calibre of idiot who would make an unsubstantiated claim with no knowledge of  current baggage allowances, airfares and services provided. How does TG's adjustment of the baggage allowance for a class of airfares which is causing  financial loss to the airline  bad? How exactly does  TG's baggage allowance make it uncompetitive and inferior when it still provides  one of the most generous baggage allowances in Asia Pacific?

Na,e the airlines who provide the   same fare classes which exceed the TG baggage allowance on the TG routes.  Compare baggage allowance and additional costs to Air Asia/ Thai Lion / NOK and it is  obvious that TG is the most generous. 

This bashing of Thai Airways is infuriating as it comes from the infrequent flyers who are clueless as to the characteristics of airlines and airfares. The airlines do not make a profit on the deep discount airfares. This is why they  added surcharges for baggage.  If people don't like TG, pick another airline.  

"Mass hysteria" or not, you asked for one airline that allows 30kg, what about OMAN AIR, for instance? Very good airline, full service, good fares, friendly staff. LCC of course never offer 30kg, we know that. And if airlines do not make money on 'ultra cheap' tickets, why do they offer them? Do be kind to us, I dont think so!

No, I do not fly Thai, mainly because of (experienced) bad service, lousy lounges, arrogant staff attitude and old planes. There are alternatives, and I am happy about that! 

These days, I prefer to fly with an airline that does not charge extra for this or for that, annoys me. Yes, that is a bit difficult locally, I get around that by shipping stuff to BKK via courier, certainly cheaper than paying those sometimes horrendous extra fees for luggage (like now on Thai Lion Air). 

5 minutes ago, Ulic said:

23 kg bag weight is pretty standard for international flights. Usually two bag limit (46kg) but many cutting back to one bag. Limiting to a 20kg bag is a self-inflicted wound and will do nothing to help their bottom line. I would understand going into line with the majority of airlines at a single 23kg bag, 20kg is a mistake.

Two bags were or are only on US flights, not to Europe! And yes, I dont get it why some allow 20kg, some allow 23kg, surely there should be some standard? Like Thai so far allowing 23kg but Thai Smile allowing 20kg? Arriving from overseas on seperate tickets, where am I supposed to put the 'extra' 3kg from Suvarnabhumi to domestic destinations?

Hmm, the second(*) single reason for me to book a ticket on that way-below-par, and bloody overly expensive, airline is gone then!

May I guess that from April on only Thai nationals flying TG will be allowed, wink, wink, to go on carrying their rocks' collection with them no-prob, and, of course, the anvil in the, second, carry-on luggage piece...?

Yet another pure BS 'regulation' to hit tourists supporting the local economy, having bought, for crazily high Baths, a whole lot of 'made in China' worthless stuff back home... Mai pen rai!

Going to reject, or charge for, overweight luggage from Thai passengers, are you, really? Liars!

It seems nothing has changed, or rather things are getting worse, with that below-par airline. I mean there are still no sensible, ...like common sense, 'brains' anywhere close to decision-making management. But hey, the central and south based taxpayers will go on footing to ludicrous bills... Till one day...

Go on with that aeropage of retired Generals, Air Marshalls, and other political creatures, with no sense at all, but de-ep pockets to run this State enterprise, ...de-ep into the ground! Oh, what a bunch (of cockroaches)!

(* The first one being it's the only one to 'comfortably' fly me straight from my homecountry to Swampy and back. Booked and paid my flights back forth and back till late October with TG, looking for alternatives for the future, soon! Swiss is not bad, and cheaper, also Zurich is a rather nice airport. Bye-bye then poofed-up TG?)

Archived