private Miles exchange for tickets/reservations

dexpat

Hi All,

I came to know about people selling miles in exchange for money to book/reserve flights.

I think there is are forums (through word of mouth, never seen one) where people with millions of miles on their cards would meet up at an airline office and book you a ticket in exchange for money using miles from their accounts. I think someone said the going rate is around 25-35 satang (0.25 - 0.35 THB) per mile.

Does anyone have any idea about such exchanges, are they legal (i cannot think of a reason why it would be illegal), has anyone ever tried it out, how would one go about doing this.

I do not have much knowledge about it, but would certainly want to find out if it is indeed a cheap way to travel.

TIA

There are websites that offer this service, mainly US based. I personally have used flipmymiles a couple of years back and it worked out OK. You need to bargain for the best possible quote and payment, in my case, was via paypal (cheque payment was other option) which ends up quite expensive with charges / exchange rate issues if need to convert from USD.

Yes, not illegal as such, but likely to be against the FF rules and have heard of instances where the account has been closed and all remaining miles deleted where any suspicion of selling miles has been has been noted.

Have only used the selling option, buying, via same website, should also be an option but haven't gone down that route personally.

No knowledge of any Thai based option for this transaction. 

Thai Airways allow nominating someone else for award travel using your air miles.

When requesting an Award for someone else, his/her name must be included in your Award Nominee list before redeeming awards for them. People with lots of air miles on hand can nominate you for award travel in exchange for money.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/rop/About/AboutRoyal_Award_Nominee.page

Archived