65,000 baht monthly turned down

19 minutes ago, connda said:

Also, for Americans, transferring funds internationally just got more complicated as March is the last month that we will be able to transfer money via the ACH system through Bangkok Bank NY. 

That is only true if your bank cannot send them in the IAT format.

Also those having their social security payments direct deposited will not end since the the SSA is already sending the majority of them in the IAT format,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Also those having their social security payments direct deposited will not end since the the SSA is already sending the majority of them in the IAT format,

True.  Neither of my banks or my brokerage support IAT format.  That may be fodder for another thread.  It would be interesting to know which banks and brokerages offer IAT formatted fund transfers because SWIFT is expensive and a pain-in-the-behind.  And I've verified with BKK NY that my SS deposits are in IAT format.  That's one less headache. :thumbsup:

Edited by connda

Mnnnn - Good Info here:

• JackThompson -You don't need "Thai" bank statements to get a Non-O from a consulate abroad - money proof in any bank will do. 
  • JackThompson And in Penang, you should be able to get a 1-year Non-O-ME based on retirement, also - vs the single-entry.
  • JackThompson You can get a letter from the USA embassy in KL - they only stopped them in Thailand

If i am reading this right then the following is possible:

1. If you have 800K THB (equivalent) in a non Thai bank you can go to KL USA embassy and get an Income letter. - Is an income letter available from the British Embassy?
  2. Take the income letter to Penang and apply for 1 year Non O multi entry, based upon retirement.
  3. Then leave every 90 days, but get nearly 15 months if last entry is well timed.

- Have I got this correct?

Edited by spambot

2 social security payments?  You only receive 1 according to ssa.gov.   You can receive your spouses check if you are a widow OR you receive your own.  One person does not receive 2 social security checks a month. 

Other than that,  this has all been discussed on the forums and explained on the Thai Immigration Website since last November.  You need to have the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for at least 3 months for retirement visa extension

That said - good luck to you.

• Sad 1

It’s going to happen to a lot more of us , and a lot more of us will be heading over the boarder to what I hope will be a more compassionate immigration system that wants foreigners to come and spend their income in the Country . When I was on Samui on Monday at the IMO I saw people being turned away for similar issues the whole thing is becoming a bit of a nightmare the only alternative I see is to go to KL and get a yearly multi entry I used to do that 12 years ago before moving over to extension of stay the good thing about it was it was an excuse to take a short trip to experience another country every 3 months and if you timed it right you got 15 months instead of 12. Please post how you got on good luck ????????

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

2 social security payments?  You only receive 1 according to ssa.gov.   You can receive your spouses check if you are a widow OR you receive your own.  One person does not receive 2 social security checks a month. 

Other than that,  this has all been discussed on the forums and explained on the Thai Immigration Website since last November.  You need to have the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for at least 3 months for retirement visa extension

If he has a child under age 19 and he is on SS or SS Disability, then he can get an extra check for that child until that child graduates high school or turns 19 whichever comes first. Also, if his spouse is a US citizen or is a non-US citizen who has lived in US for more than 5 years, then she would qualify to get SS when she reached 62 yrs of age and she could receive up to 1/2 of his SS FRA amount at her FRA age. His bank statement shows 2 checks, one for $1,745 and one for $940, so the $940 check is either the spouse's check or the child's check being deposited into that US bank account.

Edited by BertM
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

True.  Neither of my banks or my brokerage support IAT format.  That may be fodder for another thread.  It would be interesting to know which banks and brokerages offer IAT formatted fund transfers because SWIFT is expensive and a pain-in-the-behind.  And I've verified with BKK NY that my SS deposits are in IAT format.  That's one less headache. :thumbsup:

Both Citibank and Fidelity (via JP Morgan) cannot process IAT format for individuals, but Fidelity does SWIFT transfers for free. Just did my second one and it was smooth as silk (to borrow a local phrase) - had to do it by phone but with standing instructions took less than 5 minutes all in. The money hit Bangkok Bank the next day, a day earlier than a typical ACH transfer. Pain to set up, but works fine for me so far.

It is really unfortunate Thai Immigration is making such a big project out of what should be a simple procedure.  What is even more unfortunate, this same scenario you are experienceing is being played out daily at Thai Immigration offices all over the country.  I applaud you for taking the time to share your story.

We can thank the ring leaders of this circus for the difficulties you and others are having obtaining your one year visa extension.  I think the American Embassy in Bangkok and Consulate in Chiang Mai, can be thanked too for their lack of concern for the American retirement community in Thailand.  This lack of concern was clearly displayed when they stopped their "income affidavit letters."  

If anyone believes Thai Immigration leaders are going to change course or the American Embassy will try to help the now dwindling American retirement community in Thailand, you probably still believe in the Easter Bunny. ????    

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

More incorrect information from someone who HAS NOT ready the new police order or read all the threads on here about this. Correct information is 800,000 baht deposited in your Thai bank account for 2 months before your extension application and it must remain in the account for a further 3 months after your application has been approve and then the account must have a minimum of 400,000 baht for the remainder of the time until 2 months before your next extension application when the amount must be increased to 800,000 baht again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Have yet to find a bank in USA which uses IAT . If anyone could identify any USA banks which offer IAT this would be very helpful information for Americans living in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

It is really unfortunate Thai Immigration is making such a big project out of what should be a simple procedure.  What is even more unfortunate, this same scenario you are experienceing is being played out daily at Thai Immigration offices all over the country.  I applaud you for taking the time to share your story.

We can thank the ring leaders of this circus for the difficulties you and others are having obtaining your one year visa extension.  I think the American Embassy in Bangkok and Consulate in Chiang Mai, can be thanked too for their lack of concern for the American retirement community in Thailand.  This lack of concern was clearly displayed when they stopped their "income affidavit letters."  

If anyone believes Thai Immigration leaders are going to change course or the American Embassy will try to help the now dwindling American retirement community in Thailand, you probably still believe in the Easter Bunny. ????    

There are a lot of people out there who do not rad TV and they know nothing about the new changes until they go for their extension. Who is at fault on that one. It always seems that it is someone elses fault here on Thai Visa, it is the insividuals responsibility to keep up with the news so that they are prepared for changes. The people I talk to here in CM are making small adjustments to the new processes in place and they are prepared for their next extension. Individuals have to take responsibility for their extension blaming others and expecting some miracle when you show up will nor get you that extension

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

How would someone who does not go onto TVisa or other expat forum get to know about these changes, until he goes to do his extension exactly as he has done for the past many years. Surely the Emabassies involved (UK, USA, Aus & Dmk) ought to have emailed or sent a letter to every one of it's ''customers' who have been doing their letters of Income there.

The embassies did not keep the records of their "customers" including the email addresses or the actual street addresses to send letters to

If the OP is American and chose to return home to get an OA then 800k shown in a us account without seasoning would work out, right?

If so is the only reason the OP is not doing it this way is because of the long travel demands?

I'm trying to understand why people are bothering with extensions.

I understand there are a few with medical issues or financial issues but I am finding repeat oa visas from home country is the best way.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The embassies did not keep the records of their "customers" including the email addresses or the actual street addresses to send letters to

Then they aught to !

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It's recommended you register with your Embassy when moving overseas so if people have done so they would have your details, if they (as I) haven't then they can't really blame their embassy.

IIRC the US Embassy sent a communication to all of it's registered citizens advising them off the change before the window closed for them to get 1 last Income Certificate, UK Embassy did nothing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Then they aught to !

You just do not understand!!! For the embassies to keep the email and street addresses of every one of their citizens living here in Thailand would mean that they would have to do some bloody work. They were too lazy to even bother to verify government pensions.

• Haha 2

I just was at IO in Phitsanulok and showed Jan ,Feb & March's 65k FTT transfers. Asked if this was OK if I do another 9. NO PROBLEM, and spend it ALL if you want to.

Yes, me too this year but did a printout for the year. However, we are lucky and dont expect the same outcome next year. After the elections and most IM agents gets on-board, expect a change and plan for it Now. Be safe, plan B. I am still worried because you need a min. 400k in the bank now, later, 800k if all IM agents follow the new and sudden rules. Yes, some high official got mad because of all the cheats and now everybody has to pay for the cheats, human nature.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

How would someone who does not go onto TVisa or other expat forum get to know about these changes, until he goes to do his extension exactly as he has done for the past many years. Surely the Emabassies involved (UK, USA, Aus & Dmk) ought to have emailed or sent a letter to every one of it's ''customers' who have been doing their letters of Income there.

I agree! The IM has everybody’s address and they should have mailed every expat involved. Since its the gov’t, mail is free but nobody cares and that is to be remembered about everything in SouthEast Asia so tuck that emotion away if you like to stay here.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

reply to post 56, when you say *all the cheats* its the corrupt IO that are the cheats. there is absolutely huge money flowing into Immigration offices via the back door. do you honestly think they are going to let this slip away without a fight, i think not, money flows all the way to the top of the pile.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, connda said:

Then I wonder what they have up their sleeves in order to get rid of men married to Thai women.

Getting-hell at every extension, at some offices.  Often, denials of extensions entirely, w/o reasonable cause related to the de-facto/de-jure nature of the relationship (been there, done that). 

Also, at some offices (including CW), taking away applicant's access to their funds for longer periods of time during a 1 or 2 mo "under consideration" period.  The "consideration" period serves no purpose, other than to increase agent-fees for those applications to pay for the district-official's sign-off, and make the local IOs more reluctant to process them w/o an "extra" financial incentive.

40 minutes ago, moe666 said:

There are a lot of people out there who do not rad TV and they know nothing about the new changes until they go for their extension.

Given 28 days notice for these last changes, perhaps weekly-checks with immigration are required?  But even if folks checked weekly, they would get varying stories.  The new rules are still unclear in terms of enforcement and how the combo will work. Only "what happened to me today" stories - differing per-office - seem to have any real value.

For folks who Were Encouraged To Retire here by the Thai authorities, based on meeting a now-defunct standard (which has been changed repeatedly before - with only one case of grandfathering), a 1-year minimum should exist for any changes.  Even small changes would be presented upon submission of the current application using the existing-rules, providing the applicant a full-year to prepare for changes or leave (which is still awful - should all be grandfathered if any common-decency standard existed).

And regarding the embassies - this applies to them as well:

13 minutes ago, dabhand said:

If that is the case then the best course of action, by the concerned embassies, would have been to delay the withdrawal of the Income Letters until a one year cycle had been completed. With a notification of the withdrawal date included with the Income Letter during this one year period. Then all concerned would have been adequately notified. The actual withdrawal date was clearly dictated by the embassies, not Immigration, so that extended period could have been put into place with no drama.

Exactly.

• Sad 1