65,000 baht monthly turned down

11 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

The American Embassy didn't have a problem with producing the "Income Affidavit Letters" which required absolutely no work and shamelessly charged $50.00 a letter.  They could offer the same service with minimal work offering an "Income Verification Letter."  

Verification takes a lot of time and money to check with the banks and the transactions, amount etc. 

It's not about making money but  to maintain credibility with Thai immigration so that you won't cheat their immigration laws.

Thai immigration have always assumed embassies would do this responsibly but sadly not.

Edited by EricTh

What I cannot understand is why are you all so afraid to just keep 800,000 Bht in a Thai bank account or have a regular amount send to your Thai bank account that qualifies ??

It is not as if one of the "BIG" 5 banks here are going to go bust.

I missed your age ? Sorry

Immigration will not question who has sent it, so, pension into your home country bank and a monthly transfer of 65000 in thai baht which is critical and to be safe say in the first week of month, it should come in marked FTT foreign transfer. 

For RT extensions we all have a minimum of 9 months if like me 20 months to get things in order, the aggrivation for me is having to Keep 400.000 tied up and when taking your last breath waving goodbye to it, but you do nit need it then anyway, calm down we all have a common goal and that is, no stress and no worries, there is time to plan and a lot can happen in a short time, go and help the economy and have beer and look at many people with far bigger problems in there lives, see you in the bar.

30 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Verification takes a lot of time and money to check with the banks and the transactions, amount etc. 

It's not about making money but  to maintain credibility with Thai immigration so that you won't cheat their immigration laws.

Thai immigration have always assumed embassies would do this responsibly but sadly not.

Thank you for sharing your infinite wisdom regarding the verification process to read monthly pension amounts being deposited into an American bank.  Maybe you would be better served sharing this vast knowledge with some of the more naive posters on this site.  

Hopefully you are not employed with the American Embassy or Consulate.  If so, I see where the problem lays.

Of course Thai Immigration is not interested in how expats invest their money in their prospective countries.   I'm not interested in being part of their make money for Thai banks either.  

I don't mean to hurt your feelings but I was actually hoping to receive a reply from the American Consulate clerk who views Thai Visa posts regarding this recent Thai Immigration visa debacle.  So far, they are pretending to turn a blind eye by not acknowledging a problem even exists. The expats leaving Thailand monthly suggests otherwise.  

Some refer to those who are leaving Thailand as bad foreigners, which we all know is not true.  Thai Immigration came up with this term.  ????     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A non-o visa only allows a 90 day entry. A OA visa allows a one year entry so the are certainly not the same visa.

Thanks for the explanation Joe. Is the poster correct that 12 month multis based on retirement are available from Penang and Savannakhet though? I was under the impression they only issued them based on marriage - possibly a few other reasons but I didn't think retirement was one of them.

Edited by KhaoYai

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Thanks for the explanation Joe. Is the poster correct that 12 month multis based on retirement are available from Penang and Savannakhet though? I was under the impression they only issued them based on marriage - possibly a few other reasons but I didn't think retirement was one of them.

12 Months Non-O Multi-Entry "Retirement" (> 50) visa is available from Penang (or at least was when I got mine last July).

I did put a thread up about my experience on here but can't find it now. Key points were:-

• I had 800k in a Thai Bank & a letter of income from the British Embassy in Bangkok (cannot get these in Thailand anymore so not sure what the requirement is now, if they're still required then I guess you can get one from the country you're living in or from the BE in KL)
  • I stayed at Chulia Mansion (Nice hotel) & used Banana Visa just down the street (Chulia) - Lady there was excellent highly recommend

B2F41366-F1C5-4BF1-AFC2-71B432EFEF47.jpeg

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Almer said:

Immigration will not question who has sent it, so, pension into your home country bank and a monthly transfer of 65000 in thai baht which is critical and to be safe say in the first week of month, it should come in marked FTT foreign transfer. 

Do not count on them not questioning the source of the funds.  I would expect to be asked at CM and Phuket (known to make as many hurdles as possible for us as "didn't use agent" punishment) - and watch this site for reports from others as this new method of proving income unfolds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bunta71 said:

Penang was sooo smooth and professional...picked up my non-O in ten minutes ......should have posted the results a couple days ago but have been simply drunk on the floor ....

2 hours ago, mosan said:

And now after all that has happened, you failed to take the time to tell everyone exactly what you did, what was required...thank you very much!

Better give him a chance to sober-up, first, so we get the story straight.  He seems to be continuing celebrations. ????

We know that for a Non-O based-on-retirement application (Penang) you need proof you are retired (pension-letter or embassy affidavit stating you are retired) plus proof of sufficient money in the bank (anywhere in the world) or sufficient income (pension letters, bank-proof, etc), or combo of bank-money + income.

Still, it would be good to know exactly what was presented in this case.  Whenever you are up to it butnta71 ????- appreciated.

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Do not count on them not questioning the source of the funds.  I would expect to be asked at CM and Phuket (known to make as many hurdles as possible for us as "didn't use agent" punishment) - and watch this site for reports from others as this new method of proving income unfolds.

You mean immigration's new method of making money.  (must use visa agent) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 1:51 PM, CMNightRider said:

Thank you for sharing your infinite wisdom regarding the verification process to read monthly pension amounts being deposited into an American bank.  Maybe you would be better served sharing this vast knowledge with some of the more naive posters on this site.  

Hopefully you are not employed with the American Embassy or Consulate.  If so, I see where the problem lays.

Of course Thai Immigration is not interested in how expats invest their money in their prospective countries.   I'm not interested in being part of their make money for Thai banks either.  

I don't mean to hurt your feelings but I was actually hoping to receive a reply from the American Consulate clerk who views Thai Visa posts regarding this recent Thai Immigration visa debacle.  So far, they are pretending to turn a blind eye by not acknowledging a problem even exists. The expats leaving Thailand monthly suggests otherwise.  

Some refer to those who are leaving Thailand as bad foreigners, which we all know is not true.  Thai Immigration came up with this term.  ????     

Any figures about the monthly expat/retiree exodus?

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 4:30 PM, bunta71 said:

The two main guys at Krabi immigration who have known me for about 10 years told me..." Jack we know you have money, BUT this must be deposited in the Thai Bank,etc.

I'm sure they think its  stupid as  well.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, wgdanson said:

How would someone who does not go onto TVisa or other expat forum get to know about these changes, until he goes to do his extension exactly as he has done for the past many years. Surely the Emabassies involved (UK, USA, Aus & Dmk) ought to have emailed or sent a letter to every one of it's ''customers' who have been doing their letters of Income there.

In the end it is each persons responsibility to stay abrest of any and all law and rule changes that can affect them and their stay in Thailand. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Any figures about the monthly expat/retiree exodus?

Do you think Thai Immigration is going to advertise this?  Unless you live in a bubble in some moo baan, you can see westerners leaving each month as their visas come due.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, moe666 said:

In the end it is each persons responsibility to stay abrest of any and all law and rule changes that can affect them and their stay in Thailand. 

AND each Immigration Officer's duty too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Do you think Thai Immigration is going to advertise this?  Unless you live in a bubble in some moo baan, you can see westerners leaving each month as their visas come due.  

I was in immigration a couple of days ago getting a 7 day extension on the day my extension based on retirement expired.  Judging from the reaction and questions about why I was leaving after 8 years, it sure appeared that they are seeing many long term expats leaving.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, streetlite said:

I am a US citizen. Because of the IAT format I decided to use Transferwise to send money to my Bangkok bank account. This is a recent message from TW:  "When we send funds out to your recipient, the money will come from our local bank account in that country. For example, when we send to recipient’s in Thailand, the money will be sent from our local Thailand account. Being that the money is coming from a local bank account in that country, it would not be an international transfer and won’t appear this way."  Can anyone verify otherwise? I have TW set up as a borderless account.

When I send money from my US account to my Bangkok Bank account using TW, it shows as an 'International Transfer' on my Bangkok Bank account, even though TW sent it through their bank in Thailand.  I think TW uses the IAT format and they supply that info to Bangkok Bank.  Below is from my Bangkok Bank account showing the TW deposits that hit 19 and 26 March. 

26 Mar 2019 14:02

International Transfer

AUTO

25 Mar 2019 19:23

Cash Withdrawal - BBL ATM

ATM

23 Mar 2019 21:32

ATM

21 Mar 2019 16:16

ATM

20 Mar 2019 21:35

ATM

19 Mar 2019 14:02

International Transfer

AUTO

When I go into my US account online and pull up the details from the TW debit the following descrrition appears:

TransferWise Inc DES:  IAT PMT INFO: MIS 000000000000000000 FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE

As you can see they reference 'IAT PMT INFO'

13 minutes ago, MMan said:

When I send money from my US account to my Bangkok Bank account using TW, it shows as an 'International Transfer' on my Bangkok Bank account, even though TW sent it through their bank in Thailand.  I think TW uses the IAT format and they supply that info to Bangkok Bank.  Below is from my Bangkok Bank account showing the TW deposits that hit 19 and 26 March. 

International Transfer

AUTO

ATM

ATM

ATM

ATM

International Transfer

AUTO

When I go into my US account online and pull up the details from the TW debit the following descrrition appears:

TransferWise Inc DES:  IAT PMT INFO: MIS 000000000000000000 FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE

It will only show as international if the Thai bank used is Bangkok Bank - if transfer is make by either of Transferwise other Thai bank accounts it will not.  Bangkok Bank seems to be the most used so it is seldom an issue - but it can be and people have reported so.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

The major exodus I saw and tourist arrival figures support the Falang stopped coming a couple of years ago as a result of the pound going down. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MMan said:

International Transfer

AUTO

ATM

ATM

ATM

ATM

International Transfer

AUTO

Bear in mind that Immigration want to see roughly the same amount being transferred on roughly the same day of the month.

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Bear in mind that Immigration want to see roughly the same amount being transferred on roughly the same day of the month.

It actually only has to be equal to or greater than 65k baht 40k baht. There is nothing in the written rules that it has to be on or near the same day every month.

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It actually only has to be equal to or greater than 65k baht 40k baht. There is nothing in the written rules that it has to be on or near the same day every month.

I stand corrected sir. So 1st Jan, 28th Feb, 1st March, 30th April etc would be accepted?   LOL

Edited by wgdanson

On 3/8/2019 at 11:56 AM, inlandchris said:

Yes, me too this year but did a printout for the year. However, we are lucky and dont expect the same outcome next year. After the elections and most IM agents gets on-board, expect a change and plan for it Now. Be safe, plan B. I am still worried because you need a min. 400k in the bank now, later, 800k if all IM agents follow the new and sudden rules. Yes, some high official got mad because of all the cheats and now everybody has to pay for the cheats, human nature.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry Chris but it is EITHER 65k per month from abroad and spend what you want/need to, OR, 800/400k in the bank...400 of it untouchable. Which will you do?

7 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

That's irrelevant as far as receiving funds in a bank in Thailand

It is if you exchange the £s for Bht and keep them in your Borderless until you need them here. There is no problem having GBP in your B'less and funding a T'Wise transfer from it. Been there, done it !