Passport validity questions and passport change question

Hey everyone!

A got a question about passport validity. My current passport will expire 15.10.2019, I want to get re-entry permit and go outside at 10 of April and be back at 17 of April. So when I go back to Thailand my passport will have less than 6 months validity, can it be a problem? My visa extension is valid until 1 of June.

Also, I can get a new passport before I go, I hear I can transfer only stamps to new passport, so if I do this, do I need to have both passports (old with visa and new with transferred stamps) with me?

Edited by clearance

8 minutes ago, clearance said:

My current passport will expire 15.10.2019, I want to get re-entry permit and go outside at 10 of April and be back at 17 of April. So when I go back to Thailand my passport will have less than 6 months validity, can it be a problem?

No problem. 

You'll only be getting permission to stay stay until June and the passport will still be valid. When you enter the passport needs only to be valid for the duration of stay.

You generally only need 6 months remaining when applying for a Thai Visa.

11 minutes ago, clearance said:

Also, I can get a new passport before I go, I hear I can transfer only stamps to new passport, so if I do this, do I need to have both passports (old with visa and new with transferred stamps) with me?

No. Once the permit and visa info have been transferred you don’t need to carry the old passport.

They don’t transfer the original entry visa sticker/stamp, but put a stamp in the new passport with the entry visa details.

Although the entry visa has expired, the details are still required for future extension applications.

• 1 month later...

Just back to Thailand. Through Friendship bridge. My passport was 3 day less than 6 months and officer denied to stamp my passport because of this. He said I need to go outside and find someone who can help. I asked young guy in glasses (in trainee uniform as I understand) and he helped me to get my stamp, he and two female IOs was very kind and helpful. Totally different attitude here than in airports. But be ready to have problems if your passport have less than 6 months validity, even if you have extension of your visa and re-entry permit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clearance said:

My passport was 3 day less than 6 months and officer denied to stamp my passport because of this.

The 6 months passport validity depends upon your nationality. Some countries must have 6 months while others only need a passport valid for their length of stay.

If you had less than 6 months of validity when you left the country you would not of been allowed to enter Laos or any other neighboring country.

Yep, I have another passport that have more than 8 years validity (we can have two foreign passports), used it to enter Laos from Malaysia, but visa, extension and re-entry are in old passport. Still don't understand this 6 months rule tho ????

16 minutes ago, clearance said:

Yep, I have another passport that have more than 8 years validity (we can have two foreign passports), used it to enter Laos from Malaysia, but visa, extension and re-entry are in old passport. Still don't understand this 6 months rule tho ????

Entering/exiting Laos using a different passport to the one you enter Thailand with (by land) could cause issues too.

10 minutes ago, clearance said:

Still don't understand this 6 months rule tho

I think some immigration officers do not understand it either and will always say 6 months is required even though it is not required for all nationalities.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:36 PM, elviajero said:

Entering/exiting Laos using a different passport to the one you enter Thailand with (by land) could cause issues too.

Looks like I dodged this bullet ???? Anyway will change my passport at Monday, thanks to everyone for helping me.