Thailand ranks world's 23rd most polluted country

webfact

Thailand ranks world's 23rd most polluted country

air-pollution.png

Thailand has been ranked the world’s 23rd most polluted country and Bangkok ranks 24th in the list of cities with critical air quality globally, according to the 2018 World Air Quality Report. The report shows that PM2.5 dust particles for the whole year in Thailand averaged 26.4 microns.

In ASEAN, Thailand ranks the third most polluted country after Indonesia and Vietnam, which were placed 11th and 17th globally with average 42 and 32.6 microns of PM2.5 particulate respectively.

Bangladesh tops the world’s list as the most polluted country, but seven of the world’s 10 most polluted cities are in India, a country which ranks third most polluted globally.  Gurugram, a city about 30 km southwest of India’s capital of New Delhi, had the worst pollution levels globally in 2018.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-ranks-worlds-23rd-most-polluted-country/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-03-07

2 hours ago, webfact said:

2018 World Air Quality Report. The report shows that PM2.5 dust particles for the whole year in Thailand averaged 26.4 microns.

it is only relatively recently that thailand even acknowledged that particulate matter 2.5 should be the real focus, and then, in the thai way, set their own standard Twice that of the World Health Organization with no justification for doing so; by WHO standards the average reading exceeds the WHO standard ,25, every day of the year on average

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

23rd, Come on Thailand you can do better than that.

it's an opportunity for a new Hub, you could be missing out on.

It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n' roll!

I flew from Don Muang to Udon Thani...MANY MANY fires burning.

The air in Udon very acrid with smoke and particulates.

It boggles my mind that people do not care!

Instead of burning...Tractors and plows (bought by the government).

CLEAN AIR AND WATER ARE BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS!

nothing a few garden hoses aimed skyward can't fix... thinking here is "if you don't recognize the problem it doesn't exist" so in the case of litter if you don't put garbage cans there are no cans full of garbage to collect... problem solved!!!!!

In Bangkok the month of January and early part of February was particularly bad, readings were constantly in the 90s and over 100. Its been a lot better, looks clearer and the smell is not as bad, however its still in the 70s as I write this. This is a global issue, farmers need to burn off to enrich the soil. There is no easy fix "now" and for the foreseeable future. 

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/12/05/inenglish/1544008632_514634.html

6 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

Do not care and ignorant: "my little fire does not harm anyone, it goes up in the air and floats away from me"

5 hours ago, GreenerGrass said:

In Bangkok the month of January and early part of February was particularly bad, readings were constantly in the 90s and over 100. Its been a lot better, looks clearer and the smell is not as bad, however its still in the 70s as I write this. This is a global issue, farmers need to burn off to enrich the soil. There is no easy fix "now" and for the foreseeable future. 

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/12/05/inenglish/1544008632_514634.html

Ploughing the stubble back into the soil is preferred according to a report in the Tribune:

"Plough stubble back into soil

To ensure food security and good health for all, paddy straw should best be incorporated into the soil as per conservation practices. Burning wheat and paddy stubble only depletes soil fertility and causes pollution."

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/comment/plough-stubble-back-into-soil/589208.html

"Gurugram, a city about 30 km southwest of India’s capital of New Delhi, had the worst pollution levels globally in 2018."

It used to be called Gurgaon. I thought a Gurugram is where a yogi rushes into a hen party, does a striptease and kisses the bride.

Now China is rapidly setting up new factories in Thailand's new economic zones.  These factories have operated largely unregulated.  Do you actually think that will change?  More and more tourists are traveling here in the unregulated smog belching buses and vehicles.  Do you actually think that will change?  In twenty years of tourism they have not even been able to clear garbage in high tourist areas.  Look at areas of Pattaya such as Pratumnak and Jomtien. But I guess here greed outweighs face. Piles of garbage everywhere while the builders keep going. The prognosis is not good.  Thailand is on a slippery slope destined for incredible pollution on the ground and in the air.  The smart ones will soon vacate.

Thailand ranked almost, if not, 1st for the most dangerous roads! Within the top 20 for the most dangerous place to visit, and 23rd for the most polluted country...

What else?

Corruption! Human trafficking! Lawlessness! Human plus animal rights! Racism! Kinnaping children! Slavery, and so on...

Paradise!!!!

11 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

A Thai taxi driver told me he'd had enough of Bangkok pollution and was going back to his farm in Issarn. The ignorance of it struck me as it is Issarn farmers who are burning the fields. Duh, it does the Farang no good to think about it. My brain hurts.

Archived