Trump rose on Forbes richest list as other billionaires slipped

webfact

Trump rose on Forbes richest list as other billionaires slipped

By Dan Fastenberg

2019-03-06T213921Z_1_LYNXNPEF25225_RTROPTP_4_USA-POLITICS-CONSERVATIVES-TRUMP.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump waves to the crowd before speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) annual meeting at National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland, U.S., March 2, 2019. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's personal fortune held steady over the past year, but he vaulted higher on the Forbes list of the richest people in the world as dozens of his fellow tycoons suffered financial setbacks.

Trump's $3.1 billion net worth is unchanged from last year, Forbes said. Still, his real estate holdings held their value better than assets that make up the portfolios of a lot of other billionaires, boosting him 51 spots to 715th among the world's 2,153 billionaires, said Luisa Kroll, Forbes Magazine assistant managing editor.

"He moves up because so many billionaires dropped in the ranks," Kroll told Reuters on Wednesday. "He kind of stayed flat but was able to increase his position."

Making the biggest splash on this year's list was Kylie Jenner, 21, who became youngest self-made billionaire of all time thanks to the success of the cosmetics company she founded three years ago. The half-sister of reality television stars Kim, Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian, Jenner made her debut on the list this year after spinning $250,000 she earned from modelling into a fortune.

"She definitely was able to leverage her family's fame," Kroll said. "She started making makeup and sold it through her Instagram account and online. And sales took off."

Jeff Bezos, founder and chief executive officer of Amazon.com Inc, held his No. 1 spot on the list, with a net worth of $131 billion. But it may be his last time on top, now that he and his wife MacKenzie Bezos are divorcing. She was an early accountant at Amazon and may be entitled by Washington state law to half his stake in the company, Kroll said.

"If that happens he would not be Number One and she would be the world's richest woman," Kroll said.

The 2019 list shrank in both the number of billionaires and value. In 2018, there were 2,208 billionaires, or 55 more than this year, with a combined net worth of $9.1 trillion, compared with $8.7 trillion in 2019.

At the same time, the very rich face a growing anger from the general public, Kroll said.

"We are in a bad moment for the very rich," Kroll said. "You see a vehemence against these people because of the wealth inequity that we see in the world. Nobody's immune from market forces and markets being shaken up, and that's impacting even the ultra-rich."

(Reporting by Dan Fastenberg; Writing by Barbara Goldberg; Editing by David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-07

I read somewhere recently (don't ask me for a link) that Trump's alleged 'reported' wealth fluctuates along with the reason for reporting. It seems like his wealth is aggrandized when practicing  braggadocio but low, much lower, when it comes to tax accounting.

Ahh yes, those elusive tax filings!

Speaking from both sides of his mouth is true to Trump style.

Just now, neeray said:

I read somewhere recently (don't ask me for a link) that Trump's alleged 'reported' wealth fluctuates along with the reason for reporting. It seems like his wealth is aggrandized when practicing  braggadocio but low, much lower, when it comes to tax accounting.

You don't have to report your wealth to the IRS.

5 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Yep, all income within a given year must be declared, although I think I read he donates his POTUS salary to some charity or other. Hopefully not to the Trump Foundation.

Regardless of what you do with your income, including giving it to charity, you still must declare it.  

4 hours ago, neeray said:

This is absolutely true. It has been over the course of his entire career. And it could end up being his undoing, as it constitutes financial fraud, and probably tax fraud too. He could end up in prison for his Deutsche Bank deals alone. Let us see how this plays out. The SDNY has been after him for a long time. They could have what they need to get him imprisoned once he leaves office. Especially after Weisselberg testifies, if he has not already spilled the beans.

Trump is basically finished. There will be no 2020. And the planet rejoices! It is quite possible Trump, Don Jr. and Ivanka will all spend some time in the slammer. 

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is absolutely true. It has been over the course of his entire career. And it could end up being his undoing, as it constitutes financial fraud, and probably tax fraud too. He could end up in prison for his Deutsche Bank deals alone. Let us see how this plays out. The SDNY has been after him for a long time. They could have what they need to get him imprisoned once he leaves office. Especially after Weisselberg testifies, if he has not already spilled the beans.

Trump is basically finished. There will be no 2020. And the planet rejoices! It is quite possible Trump, Don Jr. and Ivanka will all spend some time in the slammer. 

From how does Forbes calculate how much people are worth.  People do try to peek into their private balance sheets but not every billionaire is as cooperative as Donald Trump who views the list as a competition and provides unsolicited information to Forbes. So yes looks likes he is lying. As you suffers from trump derangement syndrome I lay you a bet he is far from finished and bet you a hundred dollars he wins in 2020.

34 minutes ago, jamesy9368 said:

From how does Forbes calculate how much people are worth.  People do try to peek into their private balance sheets but not every billionaire is as cooperative as Donald Trump who views the list as a competition and provides unsolicited information to Forbes. So yes looks likes he is lying. As you suffers from trump derangement syndrome I lay you a bet he is far from finished and bet you a hundred dollars he wins in 2020.

Trump got caught out about his claims of net worth in a deposition when he was suing Tim O'Brien, the ghost writer for Art of the Deal.

"The most famous part of the deposition, which has been quoted frequently, is Trump’s highly philosophical discussion of how he determines his wealth. Asked “Have you always been completely truthful in your public statements about the net worth of properties?”, he replies, “I try,” then goes on to say the number depends on “My general attitude at the time that question may be asked,” and “it’s very subjective, sometimes you’ll have someone who will pay five times more or substantially more than someone else would pay.”

http://fortune.com/2016/03/03/trump-net-worth/

The article goes on to show how when Trump applied to banks for loans and claimed a net worth of 3.2 billion, one bank estimated his actual worth at 1.2 billion and another at well under a billion.

This from a guy who inherited hundreds of millions from his father.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 12:38 AM, jamesy9368 said:

TDS. Trump deceives his supporters. He does not openly provide financial records. He falsified documents and does everything in his power to up his net worth. Same as he did with Deutsche Bank when he committed bank fraud, which the SDNY is investigating right now. Chances are he will not run again. And he may end up with a uniform the same color as his skin and his hair. 

On 3/7/2019 at 11:12 AM, Basil B said:

I am sure when made public his Tax Returns will make very interesting reading.

Yeah like some rich persons boring tax returns. Snooore zzzzzzzzzzzz. Depreciation. Carry forwards, backwards and sideways. More schedules than world football.

Those tax returns have been combed over by the tax collectors at the IRS and NYS line by line for years and years.  To contend that there is some hidden knowledge in there is to say that the IRS and NYSDTF arent snakey, greedy, unreasonable money hungry bean counters who are under orders to wring the max out of money bags like President Badger Hair. Yeah he cheated, sure LOL

The funniest part about Trump playing folks with his tax returns is the fact that Obama played him with the birth certificate. Touche

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He appears to pay even less tax than Amazon or Netflix! That means less than zero. 

The same applies to the vast majority of extremely wealthy people.....

Not that I'm defending trump, anymore than I'd defend any other extremely wealthy person who has found a way to 'avoid' taxes ☹️.

As Ivana (?) said - 'only the little people pay taxes'.....

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not that I'm defending trump, anymore than I'd defend any other extremely wealthy person who has found a way to 'avoid' taxes ☹️.

I believe that was Leona Helmsley.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He appears to pay even less tax than Amazon or Netflix! That means less than zero. 

how do you know if the returns havent been released?

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

2 minutes ago, choff56 said:

I believe that was Leona Helmsley.

Who cares?  It was some extremely rich person.

No wonder that ordinary people are getting more and more bad tempered - and voting for anyone who says they are anti-establishment.  Even trump....

As an aside, I have to admit that I'm suprised his wealth hasn't increased!

On 3/16/2019 at 3:50 AM, Nyezhov said:

how do you know if the returns havent been released?

In the law business there are certain types of avoidance that essentially are seen or construed as an admission of guilt. There are very good reasons why he will not release his tax returns.

1. No payment of taxes for over a decade. He essentially admitted to using the losses from his massive bankruptcies and bad deals as write offs. Legal yes. Ethical? Subjective. I think not. But, ethics has never been paramount at Trump International.

2. One of the lowest levels of charitable donations of any billionaire in the US. That is a fact. Miserly barely begins to describe this. 

3. Evidence of potential fraud. Let us see what the SDNY comes up with. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

There are very good reasons why he will not release his tax returns.

Or hes trolling the TDS crowd and y'all are being played.

Like Barack played him with the birth certificate.

Its like Geraldos Al Capone Vault!

Archived