British man who 'started new life' in Thailand desperately ill amid insurance wrangle

webfact

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Thai government really wanted to stop people riding without insurance, they would make it law that hiring a bike requires taking cover. No insurance? ...the bike owner is responsible. However, that would also serve to end 99% of bike rentals...

One problem with insurance is the companies usually go out of their way to find exclusions, so in the end the rider foots the bill anyway, and everyone knows this.

Also it should be said, that while these cases do occur, it is only a very small percentage of the people who do hire bikes without insurance that regret it. Is it worth shutting down the entire bike hire industry? Against the backdrop of the carnage on Thai roads I would say this is hardly 'a problem'.

I do not have insurance, but I have only ridden about my little island, 20k km in 14 years. Same goes for rural areas, villages. I will say that if I lived in Pattaya, Bangkok or any other major center I would do as most do there - ride with protection; helmet, shoes and yes - insurance.

So, it is hardly correct to call everyone who rides without insurance a moron, not everyone is afraid of life and I can certainly afford to self-insure against minor scrapes and bumps - I am certainly not endangering anyone.

I am also not calling other people morons based upon my own narrow view of the world.

The hard-hearted nature of the replies here, reflects the quality of expat that meshes well with the attitude of the Thai government. Thailand does not take care of its OWN people, why would we expect any more care for foreigners?  Universal Health Coverage is long overdue in this country.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:18 AM, smedly said:

so what   ?

out of the millions that come here and spend money in Thailand every year making them billions (12% of the countries GDP) how many end up with a medical emergency like the OP, it is so insignificant it isn't worth considering, Thailand is dangerous especially on the roads - it is their duty to make it as safe as possible for people who come here for a holiday, it's not as if they haven't had long enough to improve things.

But regardless of that, considering the very small number of people that end up in this sort of situation while here on holiday it is no real big deal (all things considered) for the country to provide free emergency medical assistance to the few that need it, they make huge revenue from tourism how about giving some back when some fall foul of the poor safety.

Not so long ago we had some children that got themselves into trouble in a cave - there was no shortage of foreign volunteers willing to put their lives at serious risk to save them. 

Why could not a small levy on every visa be taken to cover these circumstances, it not as though every single one needs help. So provided the corruption problem does not come into it, there should quickly be millions available.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:45 AM, taninthai said:

I would imagine quite a fair few,enough to make the government start thinking about compulsory insurance anyway.

Cumpulsory insurance need not be expensive. It should be a non profit organisation.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, boonrawdcnx said:

Why do we only read about situations like this in Thailand?

Never read about cases like this happening in Europe!

And I can tell you why - The problem is not the tourists.

First those with valid licenses might have rented vehicles in the past in other countries and automatically assume that they are properly insured. Why does Thailand allow people to operate or companies to rent out vehicles without proper insurance? Especially for rented vehicles there should be comprehensive insurance mandatory!

For tourists the problem are Thai rental companies and nobody else!

Thai rental companies should be held accountable for renting vehicles out to people without a proper license to drive - like in every other country - period!

I am not even sure if all of them do have a business license themselves to rent out vehicles?

There is no way you could rent a vehicle in Europe without the rental company checking if you are licensed to drive such a vehicle!

Just look at the disgusting charade that is going on in Chiang Mai every single day.

Rental companies rent out motorbikes to probably hundreds of people without a driving license every single day!

The police is then lurking around the corners around the moat and fine the tourists a 1000 baht for driving without a valid license.

When the tourist should have never been able to rent a bike without a valid license in the first place.

And then it comes - after taking the money - the tourists are then allowed by the police to carry-on and drive around without a license!

Rental companies who rent out vehicles without proper insurance to people without a license and police should be held responsible if accidents happen - not the tourists who should have never been able to rent a vehicle!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Your first paragraph just about says it all. There needs to be strict rules and regulations on the hiring out of motor scooters. At the moment any man and his dog can rent out a m/c with no conditions whatsoever and definitely no insurance.

19 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Why could not a small levy on every visa be taken to cover these circumstances, it not as though every single one needs help. So provided the corruption problem does not come into it, there should quickly be millions available.

exactly, but lets not forget that Thailand already makes a huge amount of money from tourism - they are duty bound to make an effort to keep them safe

On 3/7/2019 at 10:24 AM, Kieran00001 said:

It is the law that all hospitals, state owned or private, must provide free emergency treatment for the first 72 hours.

Where did you hear that from.  I was in The Bangkok Hospital KS for 24 hrs and got a bill for 26000 bht and they wanted me to stay another 24 hrs for observation.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:39 AM, scorecard said:

And it's up to each individual to either acquaint themselves with the destination and medical facilities etc., etc, or not do so, in which case it's buyer beware, nothing more nothing less.

Some questions:

- Why would people expect 1st world standards in Thailand?

- Surely the majority of travellers would already know Thailand is a poor and developing country, and those that don't know when they see hotel prices (just one example) at beach resorts, US$25- a day with breakfast, and down even much lower, would they not realize Thailand is a poor developing country? 

- Specifically in regard to health care, whether the standards in Thailand are first world or otherwise, it still leaves totally open who pays.

- Most travellers seem to ignore the need for travel and medical insurance. Would these folks seriously expect Thailand to pay their medical bills? I certainly hope not, surely these folks have a better understanding of right and wrong / personal responsibility / and morals.

- An open discussion points - I wonder how many travel agents in the UK (and other countries) mention to potential clients the need to take travel & medical insurance. Seems to me a few agents would but a much larger number just don't care, in fact they want the payment for the tour now and they are not likely to mention add ons which will increase the costs and possibly kill the sale. 

Book with any Flight Centre in Australia and the will just about fall off their seats trying to sell you travel insurance.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:09 AM, smedly said:

I will repeat what I said earlier, Thailand has a responsiblility to keep its visitors and citizens safe, it fails miserably on all fronts, I find it hard to believe people here think that tourists who are severely injured when holidaying here are 100% to blame

If you went on holiday to London right now and got attacked and stabbed on the street - who gets the blame for that one ????? 

Sadiq Khan !

On 3/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, The Fugitive said:

Moto rental companies should insist on seeing a valid motorcycle licence and International Driving Permit indicating motorcycle before they let you rent. Insurance to be provided by the rental company.

Why would you need an International driving permit if you have got a valid motorcycle license.

27 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Where did you hear that from.  I was in The Bangkok Hospital KS for 24 hrs and got a bill for 26000 bht and they wanted me to stay another 24 hrs for observation.

Only applies if you are are unconscious. 

Else you could have selected a cheaper hospital. 

Bangkok hospital KS is the most expensive hospital in Thailand

On 3/8/2019 at 11:43 AM, atyclb said:

travel insurance coverage is valid for whatever length of stay you say in the application. i know as i recently got a 3 month policy.

no requirement to show round trip tickets and no requirement to show any ticket. you pay for the stated period in the application. i got travel medical insurance many times and never had to show travel arrangements, it wasn't even an option on the application. 

Please name the travel company you believe requires no return ticket.

55 minutes ago, smedly said:

exactly, but lets not forget that Thailand already makes a huge amount of money from tourism - they are duty bound to make an effort to keep them safe

So if you get whacked the conclusion is that they have failed to keep you safe and therefore medical treatment should be free? Is that what you are implying?

Read the insurance policy carefully. If anybody knows any insurance companies that really do treat casual motorbike riders well that may be on vacations, please post

From nothern Europe the insurance companies will bring you out as long as you breathe, as fast as possible and in to your government hospital.

With a travel insurance noted with unlimited.

They won’t admit it.

If dead it’s another story.

If not they’ll got bad publicity.

When you are back home. Even As a vegetable. They will ask for money back. Regress. And sell all your assets. And take your pension or wathever money you have access to until you have paid the bill with all the interests.

Pure math.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:18 PM, Pilotman said:

another irresponsible moron, who expects others to pick up the tab for his idiocy.  

We have many of those types where I live. Usually they are vegan, and consider windchimes a musical instrument. I see those type of morons sitting on top of rocks praying for the spirit rock after smoking some crack. Wealthy bubala pretending to be poor. 

3 hours ago, GoodieAfterDark said:

We have many of those types where I live. Usually they are vegan, and consider windchimes a musical instrument. I see those type of morons sitting on top of rocks praying for the spirit rock after smoking some crack. Wealthy bubala pretending to be poor. 

That did make me laugh, thank you. 

Archived