British man who 'started new life' in Thailand desperately ill amid insurance wrangle

webfact

11 minutes ago, smedly said:

I will repeat what I said earlier, Thailand has a responsiblility to keep its visitors and citizens safe, it fails miserably on all fronts, I find it hard to believe people here think that tourists who are severely injured when holidaying here are 100% to blame

If you went on holiday to London right now and got attacked and stabbed on the street - who gets the blame for that one ????? 

Yes, Thailand has a responsibility to  what it can to keep visitors safe. However, visitors also have a responsibility to act in a prudent manner.

There is no indication that Thailand contributed to the crash, as  the  person was found injured. A relative claims that it might have been a hit and run, but there was no evidence to support the claim. Considering the fact that the man was unlicensed to drive  a scooter, and inexperienced,  it is more probable that he caused his own crash. It is an unreasonable expectation to expect to be taken care of when injured while engaged in an unlawful act.  I am sorry this guy is injured and needs help. however, it  is not Thailand's responsibility to care for a foreign visitor injured in this manner.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, GreenerGrass said:

OMG I am basing my comments on the reporting that has been made available. 1. states very clearly in the first paragraph of the news report that it was a "hit and run" 2. No where in the news report does it mention that he was drinking.  

There is no evidence to support the claim of hit and run. His relative states that this "MIGHT" have been a hit and run.

Its partly the fault of the insurance companies.They should offer policies that cover tourists for most eventualities.

Riding scooters on holiday is very common,if this is not covered it should be made very clear before the policy is purchased.

Often these things are hidden in the fine print and take hours to find.

58 minutes ago, smedly said:

I will repeat what I said earlier, Thailand has a responsiblility to keep its visitors and citizens safe, it fails miserably on all fronts, I find it hard to believe people here think that tourists who are severely injured when holidaying here are 100% to blame

If you went on holiday to London right now and got attacked and stabbed on the street - who gets the blame for that one ????? 

Irrelevant comparison. This guy heavily contributed to his own demise by renting a motorbike he was unlicensed and uninsured to drive. 

Being stabbed in the street in a random attack is quite different. Though you already know that and you're clutching at straws. 

39 minutes ago, persimmon said:

Its partly the fault of the insurance companies.They should offer policies that cover tourists for most eventualities.

Riding scooters on holiday is very common,if this is not covered it should be made very clear before the policy is purchased.

Often these things are hidden in the fine print and take hours to find.

No it's not. Also, scooters aren't that common. Definitely not a majority of tourists hiring scooters, that's for sure. 

It is very common knowledge that motos aren't covered. If it takes you hours to find it, you're either exaggerating or you're one hell of a slow reader. In fact, I just looked up an old travel insurance policy I had. Right there, in the first couple of pages, specifically included under what they won't cover. I can only assume it is the same around the world. 
image.png.4558ff3002d933d365e730b21ab0f336.png

In the discussion of what is and what isn't covered... 

Insurance companies are notoriously 'slippy'...  before purchasing Medical Cover it took me months to get written confirmation that was covered for Skiing, Scuba diving, Riding a Motorcycle etc.. as there was a 'dangerous activities' clause which I found extremely vague. 

And really: Who checks the small print of travel insurance?... but the article reads 'travel insurance' but this guy had moved here, thus the travel insurance was not the correct product in the first place. 

3 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What have his visa requirements got to do with anything? How does a one way ticket invalidate your travel insurance? 

If people want to help let them, I would rather my taxes go to helping real people like this guy other than funding CEOs and corrupt politicians. There should be emergency health care for everyone. 

A one-way ticket indicates that the trip was not a holiday, it was a permanent stay, as the man has admitted!  Travel insurance is cover for holidays, not emigration.

"There should be emergency health care for everyone". 

There is.

9 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Irrelevant comparison. This guy heavily contributed to his own demise by renting a motorbike he was unlicensed and uninsured to drive. 

you are missing the point, the fact he was permitted to rent the scooter is the issue as already mentioned earlier in this thread

In the UK or any western country for that matter (were laws and standards are enforced) you would not be able to rent any type of vehicle without a valid licence

this has all be mentioned in this thread already - maybe you should try reading back through it

I 100% blame Thailand for pretty much "most" of the stuff that happens here to tourists injuries - on the road or water, this place is dangerous, people living here understand that - those coming here on holiday maybe not so much - Thailand has a duty of care and they make no effective effort

Want to see a list of things you should never do here on holiday - better still, don't leave the airport

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Flawed analogy... comparing 'apples to apples'...

IF you went to London right now and hired a Scooter without a License... ok... you wouldn't be able to.

So... If you went to London right now and 'borrowed' someones Scooter and you didn't have a license and had an accident.... Who's fault is it? YOURS... and you'd also probably find yourself charged for riding without a License. You may also find yourself having to cover your own Medical Costs, and your insurance wouldn't cover you.

I do agree that Thailand doesn't take enough steps to keep 'people' safe. Thailand has no more responsibility to Tourists than it should have to Thai's... Thailand should take some responsibility in keeping all people safe, but we know Thailand doesn't really care, thus its down to ourselves to ensure we are protected as best we can be.....

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

They want you to have mandatory insurance and the insurance companies will do everything in their power to avoid paying a claim.

You would think in a civilized country, they wouldn't let you ride without a valid license but not in Thailand.

Remember the golden rule?

Money first!

"...the insurance companies will do everything in their power to avoid paying a claim".

Absolute garbage.  Any insurer is entitled to deny a claim on an invalidated policy or for a risk that is not covered.

"You would think in a civilized country, they wouldn't let you ride without a valid license but not in Thailand".

How do you know that he did not have a licence?

Edit: Before I am corrected, I stand corrected re the licence mention that I overlooked! 

3 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

His visa has nothing to do with this story, in fact it doesn't even mention it.  First I have heard that a one way ticket will invalidate travel insurance, there are people who travel from one place to another on a whim. 

Travel insurance is generally understood to mean insurance for a limited period to cover a holiday.  This man admitted that he came here to start a new life, not a holiday and a one-way ticket is corroborating evidence of that.  If he had disclosed his only intention to the insurer at the outset he would have been denied a policy.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

While i feel sorry for this young man, it appears he just decided i will go to Thailand have fun.

He arrived on a one way ticket, clearly no thought to visa requirements, had insurance but invalidated it, because of a one way ticket, and riding an mc without a license.

Family thinks no problem we will get others to pay for his stupidity.

Is this not why most people come here?

It's not against any law i know of to have fun.......

There are so many holes in this rant that it is difficult to know where to start. I will try and hope that I do not die before I finish.

3 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Why do we only read about situations like this in Thailand?

Never read about cases like this happening in Europe!

As far as I know, Thai Visa only covers Thailand. Not Europe.

Do some internet searches on Greece and Spain. Same thing happens there. Probably anywhere that there are large numbers of tourists looking for cheap transport.

And I can tell you why - The problem is not the tourists.

Yes it is the tourists. Everyone knows that you need valid documentation to ride/drive anything here - the same as anywhere else in the world. The tourists are breaking the law.

First those with valid licenses might have rented vehicles in the past in other countries and automatically assume that they are properly insured. Why does Thailand allow people to operate or companies to rent out vehicles without proper insurance? Especially for rented vehicles there should be comprehensive insurance mandatory!

Why? When I rent a car in the UK there are all sorts of things that are not covered by insurance. I usually pay more for the 'mandatory' insurance than for the car rental.

Any vehicle that is taxed here has compulsory insurance - third party only.

For tourists the problem are Thai rental companies and nobody else!

Tosh. I have rented scooters in Europe and not shown a driving licence. I bet that I was not insured either.

The criminal is the tourist - aided by the rental company.

Thai rental companies should be held accountable for renting vehicles out to people without a proper license to drive - like in every other country - period!

How do you stop the people here that own their motorbikes and do not have a licence or insurance?

I am not even sure if all of them do have a business license themselves to rent out vehicles?

There is no way you could rent a vehicle in Europe without the rental company checking if you are licensed to drive such a vehicle!

You must exist in a strange world. I have rented cars in the UK with a licence that I bought on the Khaosan Road.

Just look at the disgusting charade that is going on in Chiang Mai every single day.

Rental companies rent out motorbikes to probably hundreds of people without a driving license every single day!

This is the Samui thread, I do not care what you do in Chiang Mai

The police is then lurking around the corners around the moat and fine the tourists a 1000 baht for driving without a valid license.

When the tourist should have never been able to rent a bike without a valid license in the first place.

And then it comes - after taking the money - the tourists are then allowed by the police to carry-on and drive around without a license!

Rental companies who rent out vehicles without proper insurance to people without a license and police should be held responsible if accidents happen - not the tourists who should have never been able to rent a vehicle!

You are basically wrong in so many ways.

People break the law because they want to. Do not blame the supplier just because the end used is a criminal. If no one broke the law in renting the bikes - the suppliers would be innocent.

Your whole argument is that it is OK for the tourist to break the law but not the supplier of the scooter

No one held a gun to this man's head and said "rent my bike or else".

????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, webfact said:

.....he did not have a licence to ride the moped.

It's about time the bike rental companies were held 100% accountable!  Sieze all their bikes, close them down, and give the proceeds of selling the bikes to the injured.  That's the only way that the message will get round to the rental companies who put the Baht before anything else.

6 pages of people having the same mundane arguments

at the time the article was written he only needed 700 pounds to reach the 3000 target, yet it's still somehow newsworthy. this is more of a talking point than anything...

Liam's go fund me page has been active for 23 days....and raised 2320 pounds. The Birmingham news article says he went back in for a second operation to remove fluid from his brain. 

A photo of him lying in the hospital or with a bandage on his head would help raise the funds and legitimize the funding I would think.

His sister is here, why don't we see a recent photo after 23 days??? Just makes sense that if someone is hurt, you post that, not photos of him smiling and holding a fish (photos in the Birmingham news article). 

Also does not post cost of hospital bills needed to be paid or cost of flight.  These would be things I would want to see, yet his go fund me has 126 donations so is working to some degree

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Another week another idiot playing Russian roulette on a bike, we live in a go fund me world.

Let's hope those that speak about other human beings needing help never need help from anybody. karma has a way of dealing with those people.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

you are missing the point, the fact he was permitted to rent the scooter is the issue as already mentioned earlier in this thread

In the UK or any western country for that matter (were laws and standards are enforced) you would not be able to rent any type of vehicle without a valid licence

this has all be mentioned in this thread already - maybe you should try reading back through it

I 100% blame Thailand for pretty much "most" of the stuff that happens here to tourists injuries - on the road or water, this place is dangerous, people living here understand that - those coming here on holiday maybe not so much - Thailand has a duty of care and they make no effective effort

Want to see a list of things you should never do here on holiday - better still, don't leave the airport

Give it a rest bud, you're defending the indefensible and failing miserably. He made a stupid decision end of story and NO-ONE, Thailand especially should pick up the tab for his dumb decisions.

8 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Let's hope those that speak about other human beings needing help never need help from anybody. karma has a way of dealing with those people.

Those people have usually taken the responsibility themselves ensure they are protected from foreseeable circumstances.

Example: I go traveling, I ensure my family has medical cover, have the small print checked, ensured I have additional written confirmation for the sports I'd like to enjoy (For example: On Piste Skiing and Off Piste Skiing with a Guide).

My Brother In Law goes skiing, I ask him about insurance, he says he'll be ok.

If I were to have an injury while skiing in Japan, I will not require assistance from anyone to cover my medical fees. 

If my brother in law were to have an injury while skiing in Japan, he may need a handout to cover his medical fees because he has no insurance. 

This is not speaking poorly of my brother in law, much in the same way criticism of those who have found themselves in an accident without medical insurance because they don't have a motorcycle license is not speaking poorly of those persons - its just a valid criticism which highlights the issue at hand.

The Issue is people think 'it'll be OK'... and the fact of the  matter is, 'it's not always OK'. 

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

Another go fund me

What's the big deal with your dislike of GoFundMe. While I agree that some people do not cover themselves adequately with travel insurance there are other people who have no other option than to set up a GoFundMe page if their circumstances suddenly change. It is a life line to some people.

Archived