British man who 'started new life' in Thailand desperately ill amid insurance wrangle

webfact

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, wadsy said:

Give it a rest bud, you're defending the indefensible and failing miserably. He made a stupid decision end of story and NO-ONE, Thailand especially should pick up the tab for his dumb decisions.

make me lol

another smart arse ????

7 hours ago, smedly said:

so what   ?

out of the millions that come here and spend money in Thailand every year making them billions (12% of the countries GDP) how many end up with a medical emergency like the OP, it is so insignificant it isn't worth considering, Thailand is dangerous especially on the roads - it is their duty to make it as safe as possible for people who come here for a holiday, it's not as if they haven't had long enough to improve things.

But regardless of that, considering the very small number of people that end up in this sort of situation while here on holiday it is no real big deal (all things considered) for the country to provide free emergency medical assistance to the few that need it, they make huge revenue from tourism how about giving some back when some fall foul of the poor safety.

Not so long ago we had some children that got themselves into trouble in a cave - there was no shortage of foreign volunteers willing to put their lives at serious risk to save them. 

RE - But regardless of that, considering the very small number of people that end up in this sort of situation while here on holiday it is no real big deal (all things considered) for the country to provide free emergency medical assistance to the few that need it, they make huge revenue from tourism how about giving some back when some fall foul of the poor safety.

Do you have statistics to refer to that it is only a few? Thailand is as well considered as a third world country so we cannot expect them to open for free hospitalization for more than 30m tourists ....

RE - Not so long ago we had some children that got themselves into trouble in a cave - there was no shortage of foreign volunteers willing to put their lives at serious risk to save them. 

Those were all Thais making a bad decision ....

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF you went to London right now and hired a Scooter without a License... ok... you wouldn't be able to.

So... If you went to London right now and 'borrowed' someones Scooter and you didn't have a license and had an accident.... Who's fault is it? YOURS... and you'd also probably find yourself charged for riding without a License. You may also find yourself having to cover your own Medical Costs, and your insurance wouldn't cover you.

there is a point at which stupid is just that - stupid, in your case above - someone borrowing a scooter that they are not licenced to drive or insured is breaking the law - both parties are breaking the law actually and both would be prosecuted, as for medical bills - no they would just leave you in the street ????

8 hours ago, smedly said:

so what   ?

out of the millions that come here and spend money in Thailand every year making them billions (12% of the countries GDP) how many end up with a medical emergency like the OP, it is so insignificant it isn't worth considering, Thailand is dangerous especially on the roads - it is their duty to make it as safe as possible for people who come here for a holiday, it's not as if they haven't had long enough to improve things.

But regardless of that, considering the very small number of people that end up in this sort of situation while here on holiday it is no real big deal (all things considered) for the country to provide free emergency medical assistance to the few that need it, they make huge revenue from tourism how about giving some back when some fall foul of the poor safety.

Not so long ago we had some children that got themselves into trouble in a cave - there was no shortage of foreign volunteers willing to put their lives at serious risk to save them. 

Surely its also up to tourists to inform themselves of the dangers of riding a motorbike in Thailand! Its called common sense. I never get on motorbikes. Just rent a car instead!!

8 hours ago, smedly said:

so what   ?

Kudos to you for those remarks. 

And to those of you who posted comments which were only sarcastic and mean spirited just to increase your posting numbers, it is sad to see so many vile persons on one thread.  I like reading many of the threads for their information and often quick-witted and funny comments.  But for those of you that can only seem to excoriate others, I (and probably many others) would just wish that you would <deleted>!  There is an old saying that goes something like this - "If you can't say something good about another then just don't say anything"!   The Brit here had something very bad happen to him, I sincerely hope nothing like that happens to the commenters here.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Clearly you are behind the times.

What has visa requirements got to do with it, study the law regarding visas then you will know.

How does a one way ticket invalidate travel insurance, you have answered the question yourself, one way ticket.

I understood it was because he did not have a driver's license to drive the motorcycle.

3 minutes ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

He arrived on a one way ticket... thats his first mistake and dare I mention, it's policy to have a return ticket. 

Why did the travel insurance ask about his ticket status only because they only wanted to sell him insurance

4 minutes ago, snooky said:

Kudos to you for those remarks. 

And to those of you who posted comments which were only sarcastic and mean spirited just to increase your posting numbers, it is sad to see so many vile persons on one thread.  I like reading many of the threads for their information and often quick-witted and funny comments.  But for those of you that can only seem to excoriate others, I (and probably many others) would just wish that you would <deleted>!  There is an old saying that goes something like this - "If you can't say something good about another then just don't say anything"!   The Brit here had something very bad happen to him, I sincerely hope nothing like that happens to the commenters here.

Clearly you cannot read too good, before you attack me and others here read all the posts first.

Because it did happen to me, a damn sight worse than him, but i did not go begging for money just got on with it. 

2 minutes ago, cmrichsw said:

Why did the travel insurance ask about his ticket status only because they only wanted to sell him insurance

They wanted to check and see if he is a tourist yes or no. Travel insurance is for travelers, not for people relocating.

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

You're not huge on personal responsibility, huh? Irrespective of your thoughts on this hypothetical nirvana that Thailand should be when people get injured, the cold truth is that it's not like that, and Thailand doesn't cover this medical stuff. Thus, when he made the decision to hire a bike, either knowing that his insurance didn't cover it or negligent to the fact, he made his own luck. 

Referencing the foreign volunteers who helped with the cave as if that is relevant to the medical bills of some idiot coming off the bike he wasn't insured to ride is such a massive leap in logic that I'm not even sure where to start. 

people need to insure fun or not have fun at all? What a miserable world we live in then.

more than one person should take responsibility. How in hell can bike hire places not be forced to take responsability. They are willingly supplying something for someone that has no knowlede, expeeience, etc. That to me could be negligence that aids and assists murder.

fact is people are hurt here in situations that could be avoided if thailand gave 2shts about its income and put on its big boy pants and stopped acting like children. They make it perfectly clear there stance so why should people even bother with insurance? Oh yeh, income...

On another note I dont have nor need insurrance. Im not wealthy but have assistance if the sht hits the fan so lucky. I hope this compulsory need for insurance for visas is never implemented. Its a scam.

I am a bit puzzled by the "moped" bit. There is an actual definition of a moped: "Moped definition, a motorized bicycle that has pedals in addition to a low-powered gasoline engine designed for low-speed operation."

Under 70 cc according to some posts supposedly does not require a license. This may not make a difference to the insurance company, which typically will seek any reason to deny a claim.
Apparently they are covering some of the bills. The article stated that they are declining to cover "all" of the costs.
The usual very inexact reporting, I think. One source states that mopeds, as such, are no longer available here.
Probably makes no difference regarding his situation, except that if he read some of the posts about the subject he may have thought it was legal to ride without plates, license,  etc. That would not have affected the travel insurance rules in any case. 

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

Travel insurer "would not" cover costs. 

I think it should have said "should not have to" cover costs. 

It's not for the insurer to cover the poor choices of a wandering hippie. 

But if he would be a Golfplayer it will????

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

Another go fund me

Exactly.... Nothing new here, a foreign looser 'started new life' without any funds or savings on a one way air ticket, drive without license end up in accident, no money to pay hospital. Family begging money to help their son. Did I forget something?

7 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

But if he would be a Golfplayer it will????

A golf player have in most cases funds or insurance to pay his or hers own bills, a hippie backpacker living from hand to mouth depend on help from others. Sorry for him, no sosial welfare or free hospital in Thailand.

If it was a Thai in the UK that had been seriously injured he would have the same medical facilities made available to them as everyone else, time the Thai's had a rethink on there policies, or maybe the UK should have a rethink on there's.

1 hour ago, mickyboy said:

so he done whats lots do played a game and lost now people are expected to pay for his treatment ok well if you do then nice if not dont moan we all makes mistakes and think not going happen to us goodluck for his future 

It's called 'Gofundme' and funding him is voluntary, so how are you and other people expected to pay for his treatment/bills?

57 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Clearly you cannot read too good, before you attack me and others here read all the posts first.

Because it did happen to me, a damn sight worse than him, but i did not go begging for money just got on with it. 

to be more specific, you didnt have anyone doing begging for you, unlike that boy

9 hours ago, smedly said:

so what   ?

...it is their duty to make it as safe as possible.... Sounds just about right.  Just like the USA is attempting to 'make it their duty' to 'holiday' travelers and the like, that travel to the USA with no return ticket/medical insurance; no worries I'll keep paying my taxes so those who want to start a new life can have  "...free emergency medical assistance...."

Those children that you are referring to are Thai citizens....I would hope a 'home' country would take care of their own.

Archived