British man who 'started new life' in Thailand desperately ill amid insurance wrangle

webfact

9 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What have his visa requirements got to do with anything? How does a one way ticket invalidate your travel insurance? 

If people want to help let them, I would rather my taxes go to helping real people like this guy other than funding CEOs and corrupt politicians. There should be emergency health care for everyone. 

Cannot think of too many countries I have visited that provide free  emergency health care to visitors.

So for that reason we have insurance that covers the situation and importantly we make sure that we comply with the terms of the policy particularly the exclusions.

Its easy unless you are stupid or irresponsible.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Travel insurance is generally understood to mean insurance for a limited period to cover a holiday.  This man admitted that he came here to start a new life, not a holiday and a one-way ticket is corroborating evidence of that.  If he had disclosed his only intention to the insurer at the outset he would have been denied a policy.

Wrong.

My travel insurance, from a well known european company, covers me for one full year.

5 minutes ago, SammyT said:

You must be new to the internet? Welcome. 

I'd say he clearly doesn't have a job -no valid insurance, cant afford to pay his medical bills. Hes presumably not asking because hes in a serious condition in hospital...

You'd say... You'd say. Sorry all I hear is blah, blah, blah. As I said, bigotry. Not having health insurance is not the same as hippy backpacking, although it's really stupid. Duh. 

why buy insurance when they NEVER and I do mean NEVER pay. the crooked insurance company always find a way not to pay. just like the girl that broke her neck driving into the swimming pool they said it was not an accident because she was stupid for diving into the pool. Hello Cambodia or Vietnam  here come all the farang retired in Thailand 

1 minute ago, Speedhump said:

You'd say... You'd say. Sorry all I hear is blah, blah, blah. As I said, bigotry. Not having health insurance is not the same as hippy backpacking, although it's really stupid. Duh. 

he had insurance read where the insurance would not pay to have him moved because they said he did not have a Thai driver license 

Yes people do take risks but there is a difference between blatant stupidity and having an accident - in the OP it says the Chap was hit by a car who then did a runner. Now if this guy was being a clown and doing wheelies and generally being a then that is entirely different - he could have been drunk but there is no mention of that

Thailand like every other country that promotes tourism and openly invites people here earning huge sums of money should bare some responsiblity for its failure to provide a safe environment - they make no attempt to do so, ask the victims of the numerous boating and road carnage that happens daily here, boats minivans buses etc, people that live here know the dangers as we are exposed to it every day, those coming here on holiday may not 
I didn't see any proof he was hit by another vehicle in the original report

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

39 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do think that it should be a personal choice , rather than enforced law .

I was also speaking about new arrivals to Thailand and them being unaware of how Thais drive and even if you are aware of the dangers and you are an experienced motorbike rider , that doesnt account for other peoples dangerous driving .

Like, if you are approaching a red light, dont stop assuming that all the vehicles behind you also going to stop , if you are at a T-Junction , dont expect other vehicles to go infront of you are around, they are likely to cut in on the inside on the wrong side of the road etc

Your point now makes much more sense. 

I suspect a lot of visitors to Thailand may face elevated risk because of their adherence to practices which in the West ensure safety, yet in Thailand places the rider in significant danger - Your example of approaching a changing traffic light being spot on. 

I had been driving here in excess of 15 years before I rode a motorcycle here. It's impossible to tell for sure, but I may have avoided numerous accidents already, simply by being well aware of the daft stuff that can happen on the roads.

Just a couple of days ago one poster commenting on his riding prowesses wrote that he could beat me through Bangkok traffic on a beaten up old bike... I am absolutely certain that he would, 100% of the time - I just hope has excellent medical cover.  

As another poster already pointed out, it's the other motorcyclists which pose the greatest threat to my safety when on the road, but, I also have concern for catastrophic 'brake failure' truck gunning down on me at a junction. 

Attitude is the biggest issue.....  The attitude towards safety of those around us, but also the attitude that 'it won't happen to me' by those who fail to ensure they don't become a burden to others or need to ask for handouts. 

9 hours ago, SammyT said:

for the country to provide free emergency medical assistance to the few that need it, they make huge revenue from tourism how about giving some back when some fall foul of the poor safety.

I would never expect any country to give free treatment. UK offers free "emergency treatment" (whatever this means) but I'm not aware of any other EU country being so generous despite the revenue from tourism. You need to show insurance if you want a Schengen visa. And Thailand should offer free treatment when a tourist rides a bike without a license? Get real.

might as well get used to reading on here about people applying  for the GoFundMe to

help them  out

there are always  going to be people on here asking for help having No Insurance wrong type of insurance  for hospital  bills ect 

9 hours ago, SammyT said:

"Mr Workman posted another video a few months later, saying he was leaving Bangkok.

"I loved Bangkok and I learned a lot about it and about myself," he said."

What does this even mean? Aside from the fact you like Chang and bargirls, what can you actually "learn about yourself" in a couple of months as a tourist in Bangkok?

Maybe the fact he preferred a katoey to a real woman  :whistling:

12 minutes ago, randy723 said:

why buy insurance when they NEVER and I do mean NEVER pay. the crooked insurance company always find a way not to pay. just like the girl that broke her neck driving into the swimming pool they said it was not an accident because she was stupid for diving into the pool. Hello Cambodia or Vietnam  here come all the farang retired in Thailand 

What does this have to do with retirees in Thailand? His insurance company was likely a British one. But off you go...

Also, I think you'll find your repeated use of the word NEVER is probably a slight exaggeration. I know plenty of cases where they have paid out. In fact, I'd say the vast majority.

11 hours ago, smedly said:

so what   ?

out of the millions that come here and spend money in Thailand every year making them billions (12% of the countries GDP) how many end up with a medical emergency like the OP, it is so insignificant it isn't worth considering, Thailand is dangerous especially on the roads - it is their duty to make it as safe as possible for people who come here for a holiday, it's not as if they haven't had long enough to improve things.

But regardless of that, considering the very small number of people that end up in this sort of situation while here on holiday it is no real big deal (all things considered) for the country to provide free emergency medical assistance to the few that need it, they make huge revenue from tourism how about giving some back when some fall foul of the poor safety.

Not so long ago we had some children that got themselves into trouble in a cave - there was no shortage of foreign volunteers willing to put their lives at serious risk to save them. 

You must be from UK ...

11 hours ago, SammyT said:

Travel insurer "would not" cover costs. 

I think it should have said "should not have to" cover costs. 

It's not for the insurer to cover the poor choices of a wandering hippie. 

Sammy, I love your tagline. But you're obviously not taking your own (ironic) advice.

2 hours ago, Darkside Gray said:

If it was a Thai in the UK that had been seriously injured he would have the same medical facilities made available to them as everyone else, time the Thai's had a rethink on there policies, or maybe the UK should have a rethink on there's.

He may well have the same medical facilities made available but would be expected to pay for them, whether they are able to recover the costs  is another issue 

Some countries such as Aus have a reciprocal arrangement for free emergency treatment.

I don’t believe that exists for Thailand.

I have seen a couple of TV programs from the UK where hospitals employ a person who’s role is to have the patient sign a form agreeing to pay for the treatment.

10 hours ago, Tarteso said:

These is the risk for choose a one way ticket...without a plan B , without money or, almost a insurance.

Sorry for this guy, hope he can get a new chance.

a different concept...home is there where you set your foot...a one way tike is logic cause life continious in one way...insurance /health insurance is for people with no trust in the universe....if your trust is real your protection is real...dont throw stones (. blame others etc ) if u sit in a glass house ( and everybody does ) ...life only happens in that very present moment not in the past not in a future ( those are concepts of illusion )...well so far all this worked for me till today...dont blame mr. liam try give this chap a helping hand and move on

56 minutes ago, randy723 said:

he had insurance read where the insurance would not pay to have him moved because they said he did not have a Thai driver license 

The article says his insurance was INVALID because not a return air ticket. So he had no valid insurance. His fault, but a lot of people never read the fine print in contracts. 

9 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Lots of reasons why the insurance will refuse to pay out.1 being if he had 12 months travel insurance he can only travel for 90 days before he needs to return to the uk else it becomes invalid.2 no license as most policies require you to have a full motor bike license from your own country and also an international driving license from the post office in the uk.also the scooter must not be above 125cc.when I've rented scooters I've always stipulated I want a 125cc not 135 or 150cc.i don't think any travel insurance would cover anyone for big bike in Thailand.

AA travel insurance covers so long as the UK licence does. I can hire a 650cc and be covered by travel insurance. It is in their latest policy wording...

Screenshot_20190307_123056.png

12 hours ago, SammyT said:

Travel insurer "would not" cover costs. 

I think it should have said "should not have to" cover costs. 

It's not for the insurer to cover the poor choices of a wandering hippie. 

he was not licence to ride a motorcycle why should they pay

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Clearly you cannot read too good, before you attack me and others here read all the posts first.

Because it did happen to me, a damn sight worse than him, but i did not go begging for money just got on with it. 

I do read quite well, thank you.  In your case, the shoe seems to fit quite well, so to speak - You do seem to like to comment on others unfortunate situations in a very negative manner, as with your other post about the Italian gentleman who was struck with a hammer:

"What the hell was the clown doing riding a mc with a broken leg.

Edited 8 hours ago by colinneil"

6 hours ago, Moti24 said:

It's about time the bike rental companies were held 100% accountable!  Sieze all their bikes, close them down, and give the proceeds of selling the bikes to the injured.  That's the only way that the message will get round to the rental companies who put the Baht before anything else.

Since years I rent cars always with the same company in Hat Yai. But every time I have to show my valid drivers license, though they know me. I drive of with full coverage and a 5.000THB deductible. This should be an enforced law everywhere in Thailand.

He did not have a license. If I was an insurer and the person knew they did not have a license and predictably no experience riding a motorized bike but took it upon himself to throw caution to the wind and go for it then he alone is responsible for his own mishap. No one should expect that Thailand or the insurance company should for whatever reason pay for his stupidity. To do so would just invite others to follow. His family or those sympathetic to his predicament are the only resources he has.

1 hour ago, Pasumwan said:

Crazy riding without a licence. I'm afraid you made a bad choice. And of course, the travel insurance company would not valid cover. I see many farangs riding a motorcycles without helmets on. Probably 80% without a license. I don't understand why one-way ticket? Open return would have been a better option. 

i dont think so, all foreigners know they are targeted by police,

i only ever drive without helmet on the road just outside where i know there is no control, anywhere else and i use helmet, always.

for the same reason i think all foreigners have a license

or drive only ever where they know there is no check

I won’t comment on this particular incident but hopefully all the TV

followers If friends or relatives come to visit make sure they check 

conditions of insurance policies. Better to be safe and covered just

incase an accident happens 

Archived