British man who 'started new life' in Thailand desperately ill amid insurance wrangle

webfact

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Those people have usually taken the responsibility themselves ensure they are protected from foreseeable circumstances.

Example: I go traveling, I ensure my family has medical cover, have the small print checked, ensured I have additional written confirmation for the sports I'd like to enjoy (For example: On Piste Skiing and Off Piste Skiing with a Guide).

My Brother In Law goes skiing, I ask him about insurance, he says he'll be ok.

If I were to have an injury while skiing in Japan, I will not require assistance from anyone to cover my medical fees. 

If my brother in law were to have an injury while skiing in Japan, he may need a handout to cover his medical fees because he has no insurance. 

This is not speaking poorly of my brother in law, much in the same way criticism of those who have found themselves in an accident without medical insurance because they don't have a motorcycle license is not speaking poorly of those persons - its just a valid criticism which highlights the issue at hand.

The Issue is people think 'it'll be OK'... and the fact of the  matter is, 'it's not always OK'. 

If hurt would you help your brother in law?

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I see it as a world that is increasingly full of self-aggrandizing sanctimony, lacking empathy, bereft of humanity and, for the most part, morally bankrupt.

Empathy fixes no broken bones, it has become virtual signalling to make the sender feel a bit self righteous. How much did you donate to this worth cause, or is it just words?

I rode all my life, all over the world, had a few accidents in 70’s and not another one until Oct 26 in Chiang Mai.

60 y o lady on motorbike pulled right in front of me when I was 4-5 meters away, no reaction time.

/ surgeries to put in a new shoulder 676,000 BHAT.

fortunately I was able to cover it.

Police told her, its her fault.

Waiting for court date.

I will be pregnant before I get a dime of it from her.

Police tild her she better find some money, if she tells judge, no money..,,,she is going to jail.

After my insurance and the 130,000 from her insurance, I am still out 500,000 iut of pocket with other expenses and follow ups with hospital.

We shall see.

I was extremely lucky I guess,rode in Thailand 13 yrs, never got a scratch but after this one, hung up my helmet.

When PCX was repaired, gave it to my wifes GF.

No more riding for me

If having insurance was compulsory for tourists and he had a compulsory insurance policy it still would not cover him without a licence , so a large percentage of talk about tourists having no insurance costing Thai society money is B.S..

Thai citizens renting motorbikes to tourists without a licence is costing Thai society money.

There is no rule of law in Thailand.

i dont think so, all foreigners know they are targeted by police,
i only ever drive without helmet on the road just outside where i know there is no control, anywhere else and i use helmet, always.
for the same reason i think all foreigners have a license
or drive only ever where they know there is no check

I've never been targeted by police, been pulled in with the Thai riders, and I wear a good quality helmet all the time, as I do in my home country.
Possibly will be calling you Brokenhead, if you choose not to wear one.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No licence means no insurance . if it was a rental bike why do these rental shops allow someone to hire a bike >>>>Just to get money and no regard for someone's welfare. But they want your passport .  No interest in do you have valid licence. I  expect now also go fund me will have to pay for the damaged bike . 

1 hour ago, LisuLover said:

Insurance companies should be forced to cover all eventualities and tourists should have to present insurance along with visa at airports.

So if you book travel insurance it then just becomes a free-for-all that the insurance company has to cover the aftermath of? Drunk - no problem. No licence - no problem. No helmet - no problem. Insurance will cover it all. Just pay your $50 and you're away. 

An even better idea is the one of personal responsibility. Stay within the limits of what you are legally allowed to do. No issues then. Works for most people

7 hours ago, atyclb said:

the fact that he did have travel insurance is commendable. 

Yes, only sad that he never read the small print which says that they don't cover traffic accidents were the driver do not have a valid driver license in the home country for the vehicle used - which he unfortunately did not have ...

14 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What have his visa requirements got to do with anything? How does a one way ticket invalidate your travel insurance? 

If people want to help let them, I would rather my taxes go to helping real people like this guy other than funding CEOs and corrupt politicians. There should be emergency health care for everyone. 

Dont expect ppl to have same feelings. Not on Thaivisa. Only the special clever ones are here, doing everything 100% right in their lives. I feel same you but i guess we are low in numbers nowadays.

To the rest:

So many comments here make me only laugh... I wonder where all you wannabe clevers hide, in Sukhmvit Soi 5 to use woman i imagine. But then come here and crap talk others. 

Sometimes it seems only the worst of characters meet in Thailand. No wonder Thai ppl laugh about you in your socks and shorts. And no, im not talking about ppl like the guy who needs help. I talk about all the wannabe celvers who did exactly the same, go to Thailand on a 1 way ticket and think they are special now. Maybe got rich and can afford it but not spending  1 sec to help other people. Your are the worst this earth has to offer. Dont spend more time being proud of yourself if theres 0 reason to be proud of. 

You may learn there is some way of Karma, the day comes where you are in such a situation too if you continue to be arrogant fools only thinking about yourself. But wait... i forgot, it cannot hit you since you are rich. Lol. Lets see

11 minutes ago, Saenchai said:

Dont expect ppl to have same feelings. Not on Thaivisa. Only the special clever ones are here, doing everything 100% right in their lives. I feel same you but i guess we are low in numbers nowadays.

To the rest:

So many comments here make me only laugh... I wonder where all you wannabe clevers hide, in Sukhmvit Soi 5 to use woman i imagine. But then come here and crap talk others. 

Sometimes it seems only the worst of characters meet in Thailand. No wonder Thai ppl laugh about you in your socks and shorts. And no, im not talking about ppl like the guy who needs help. I talk about all the wannabe celvers who did exactly the same, go to Thailand on a 1 way ticket and think they are special now. Maybe got rich and can afford it but not spending  1 sec to help other people. Your are the worst this earth has to offer. Dont spend more time being proud of yourself if theres 0 reason to be proud of. 

You may learn there is some way of Karma, the day comes where you are in such a situation too if you continue to be arrogant fools only thinking about yourself. But wait... i forgot, it cannot hit you since you are rich. Lol. Lets see

RE - Sometimes it seems only the worst of characters meet in Thailand. No wonder Thai ppl laugh about you in your socks and shorts. And no, im not talking about ppl like the guy who needs help.

Yes - you have right, he didn't have his socks on ... :whistling:

Yes, he shouldn't have done it, but that is moot now.

The strangest thing about this, is that he is 31. That means his parents in Britain, should be nearing retirement if not retired already.

£3000 to resolve this issue is a paltry sum, why can they not use their savings, or get a loan from the bank to sort it?

Something smells all wrong about this. 

Is it now a normal reaction when you have an incidental bill to pay to go begging on the internet?

5 hours ago, watcharacters said:

If hurt would you help your brother in law?

Without hesitation... but I’d be irritated by it having already advised him of the need for emergency medical insurance 

In reality he may have sufficient savings or my in-laws would sort it out, but again, I’d be irritated because he didn’t take measures to ensure he was adequately covered.... but then again neither would his friends have been covered (in all likelihood). 

5 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

I rode all my life, all over the world, had a few accidents in 70’s and not another one until Oct 26 in Chiang Mai.

60 y o lady on motorbike pulled right in front of me when I was 4-5 meters away, no reaction time.

/ surgeries to put in a new shoulder 676,000 BHAT.

fortunately I was able to cover it.

Police told her, its her fault.

Waiting for court date.

I will be pregnant before I get a dime of it from her.

Police tild her she better find some money, if she tells judge, no money..,,,she is going to jail.

After my insurance and the 130,000 from her insurance, I am still out 500,000 iut of pocket with other expenses and follow ups with hospital.

We shall see.

I was extremely lucky I guess,rode in Thailand 13 yrs, never got a scratch but after this one, hung up my helmet.

When PCX was repaired, gave it to my wifes GF.

No more riding for me

Were you wearing any protective kit?

No judgement, but I nearly didn’t today because it was too hot, but decided I’d sweat it out and still wore my MC boots, Jacket, Cordora Jeans and gloves when nipping 10mins up Sukhumvit rd in Bangkok.... 

ATGATT wears thin, but you never know... 

3 hours ago, ttrd said:
10 hours ago, atyclb said:

the fact that he did have travel insurance is commendable. 

Yes, only sad that he never read the small print which says that they don't cover traffic accidents were the driver do not have a valid driver license in the home country for the vehicle used - which he unfortunately did not have ...

Was it commendable?... Travel Insurance is for holidays...2 week trips etc... 

He had moved here... thus, required acutal Medical Insurance... the premiums and cover is different.

23 hours ago, colinneil said:

While i feel sorry for this young man, it appears he just decided i will go to Thailand have fun.

He arrived on a one way ticket, clearly no thought to visa requirements, had insurance but invalidated it, because of a one way ticket, and riding an mc without a license.

Family thinks no problem we will get others to pay for his stupidity.

I think his enlightenment was premature.

Something going on here in the poor mans head, possibly he had escaped into paradise.

Crowd funding is a fortunate thing, although not designed for acts of stupidity.

In saying that, it is all very well in hindsight, probably most expats in LOS have no medical insurance, I see most riding around with no helmets, to long in the LOS sends one Tropo.

I am guilty myself having spent many yrs in Thailand without medical insurance.

Sadly many can not afford it.

New Zealand on the other hand has an ACC (accident Compensation Policy) for tourists which covers medical accident, a policy which many want to see ended, and a compulsory travel insurance required to enter the country.

21 hours ago, monkeycu said:

I'm curious, what sort of new life does a 31 year old with no return ticket and I assume no legal job hope to have here.

Besides the women, booze and whatever he likes to indulge in, how long before he became one of the many overstayers with no money

Good luck finding a few suckers to pay for your looser life style

Tend to agree, he came here on a one-way ticket. No work prospects, no real income, supposedly trying to "find himself".

Just doing the tourist trap circuit having a good time until he made the mistake of renting a bike on Thailands deadly roads, now he's "found himself" in hospital looking to get bailed out as he made no insurance plans in case of ANY eventuality!

While we're on the topic of insurance - what policies/companies do people here recommend for longer-term insurance coverage? I heard on a recent trip to Thailand that it was all but inevitable that insurance would be required in future long term visa stays. The consensus was that stories like this were to the reason.

11 minutes ago, tideout said:

While we're on the topic of insurance - what policies/companies do people here recommend for longer-term insurance coverage? I heard on a recent trip to Thailand that it was all but inevitable that insurance would be required in future long term visa stays. The consensus was that stories like this were to the reason.

World Nomads - Will do you a year at reasonable cost ($500), that's about it.

I don't bother with insurance in Thailand (I live here), but I buy AXA travel insurance online when I go on holiday (about 300bht/week).

10 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

Driving too fast, fitness levels too low.

A fit person driving at suitable speeds can usually walk away from most crashes, but there's always an element of luck, you can still die tripping over a kerb.

23 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What have his visa requirements got to do with anything? How does a one way ticket invalidate your travel insurance? 

Travel insurance requires a return ticket. If he only had a one way ticket then he will have likely made a false declaration on the insurance application.

No surprises for a hit-and-run.  Totally Thai style.  Yeah, say what you will about the irresponsibility of the young chap on an uninsured bike, but if this were a civilized country, and the, presumably,  'at fault' person stuck around after the accident, it'd be a different story. 

"Oh, I hit someone. I'll help him to a hospital so he doesn't get too <deleted> up lying on the road. And oh, I happen to have insurance which may help out the situation since it was my fault." --Words never spoken by a Thai.

21 hours ago, persimmon said:

Its partly the fault of the insurance companies.They should offer policies that cover tourists for most eventualities.

Riding scooters on holiday is very common,if this is not covered it should be made very clear before the policy is purchased.

Often these things are hidden in the fine print and take hours to find.

and the reason for the hidden fine print is?  Lets just say that insurance companies are among the biggest crooks in the world.

Surely no one is going to condone any company whether it's insurance, restaurants etc, who use hidden fine print, small print, or whatever you want to call it.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:36 AM, colinneil said:

While i feel sorry for this young man, it appears he just decided i will go to Thailand have fun.

He arrived on a one way ticket, clearly no thought to visa requirements, had insurance but invalidated it, because of a one way ticket, and riding an mc without a license.

Family thinks no problem we will get others to pay for his stupidity.

I am guessing that you were never young or carefree,  young people make mistakes.. it's part of growing up ????

An inflammatory post has been removed, please read this part from the forum rules:

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.

Archived