British man who 'started new life' in Thailand desperately ill amid insurance wrangle

webfact

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
13 hours ago, ttrd said:
20 hours ago, atyclb said:

the fact that he did have travel insurance is commendable. 

Yes, only sad that he never read the small print which says that they don't cover traffic accidents were the driver do not have a valid driver license in the home country for the vehicle used - which he unfortunately did not have ...

Was it commendable?... Travel Insurance is for holidays...2 week trips etc... 

He had moved here... thus, required acutal Medical Insurance... the premiums and cover is different.

travel insurance coverage is valid for whatever length of stay you say in the application. i know as i recently got a 3 month policy.

no requirement to show round trip tickets and no requirement to show any ticket. you pay for the stated period in the application. i got travel medical insurance many times and never had to show travel arrangements, it wasn't even an option on the application. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, JimP said:

No surprises for a hit-and-run.  Totally Thai style.  Yeah, say what you will about the irresponsibility of the young chap on an uninsured bike, but if this were a civilized country, and the, presumably,  'at fault' person stuck around after the accident, it'd be a different story. 

"Oh, I hit someone. I'll help him to a hospital so he doesn't get too <deleted> up lying on the road. And oh, I happen to have insurance which may help out the situation since it was my fault." --Words never spoken by a Thai.

You might be surprised if you took the time to have a look around the world as to what happens with driving in those countries.

I am able to access UK TV and it’s staggering to see what happens in that country with driving offenses including hit and run in stolen cars.

I am not singling out the UK just I get to see their TV plenty of cases in Aus as well and they are countries where the police are active in enforcing road rules.

18 hours ago, yuiop said:

Wrong.

My travel insurance, from a well known european company, covers me for one full year.

As I said, you have cover for a limited period and if the insurer knows that you are using it's cover as an immigrant to Thailand, for instance, you will not be covered!   It is not intended to be cover for those who are emigrating to start new lives!

On 3/7/2019 at 7:16 AM, SammyT said:

Travel insurer "would not" cover costs. 

I think it should have said "should not have to" cover costs. 

It's not for the insurer to cover the poor choices of a wandering hippie. 

were grace slick and janis joplin not wandering hippies?

interesting how we tvf members obviously belonging to nobility can be so critical and perhaps even condescending towards others

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

no requirement to show round trip tickets and no requirement to show any ticket. you pay for the stated period in the application. i got travel medical insurance many times and never had to show travel arrangements, it wasn't even an option on the application. 

Nearly all policies require you to be resident in your home country every year.

It's in the small print, and they won't pay if they find out you were 'living' and not 'travelling', that's why they call it 'travel insurance'.

Accident insurance and health insurance are different, and generally much more expensive.

I live in Thailand and have no insurance here.

When I go on holiday, I buy travel insurance online from AXA, as a foreigner living in Thailand and on holiday wherever for a week or two.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's in the small print, and they won't pay if they find out you were 'living' and not 'travelling', that's why they call it 'travel insurance'.

Accident insurance and health insurance are different, and generally much more expensive.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

i live in bkk, got travel medical insurance from a thailand based company and went to sri lanka

On 3/7/2019 at 7:18 AM, smedly said:

so what   ?

out of the millions that come here and spend money in Thailand every year making them billions (12% of the countries GDP) how many end up with a medical emergency like the OP, it is so insignificant it isn't worth considering, Thailand is dangerous especially on the roads - it is their duty to make it as safe as possible for people who come here for a holiday, it's not as if they haven't had long enough to improve things.

But regardless of that, considering the very small number of people that end up in this sort of situation while here on holiday it is no real big deal (all things considered) for the country to provide free emergency medical assistance to the few that need it, they make huge revenue from tourism how about giving some back when some fall foul of the poor safety.

Not so long ago we had some children that got themselves into trouble in a cave - there was no shortage of foreign volunteers willing to put their lives at serious risk to save them. 

You make it sound so easy to change an entire Nation. What, are they gonna just light some incense, say a prayer and everyone just magically drives safely? Children lost in a cave on a School outing and expats operating motorcycles, many of them for the first time in their lives, can scarcely be compared to each other. Adult expats really should be a bit more responsible. I had extensive experience as a motto-cross racer, yet I lived in the LOS for three years before I felt insane enough to rent a bike. I drove it about and as I came to Sukhumvit, I took one look at the madness and turned my merry self back towards the beach. Took another few years before I would venture out onto Sukhumvit highway. I also believe there are many more moto mishaps than you allude to. I think many of the blokes on TV would agree, here in Thailand, you are on your own in identifying danger and avoiding it.

Uncle Bob

On 3/7/2019 at 1:44 AM, SammyT said:

some idiot coming off the bike

I thought this was a hit and run? Get off your soapbox.  If people want to help him on the Go Fund Me website, they can - if they don't, nobody's forcing them.

I hope for your sake you are never in a position where you need help.

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I thought this was a hit and run? 

Only source of that is a quote from the sister. 

"He got knocked off a moped he'd hired in what we think may have been a hit-and-run accident," 

1 hour ago, Monkeyrobot said:

How did he enter the country on a one way ticket? 

You can enter one way if you have any type of visa, it's only when you enter on a visa exempt stamp that you need onwards travel within 30 days. 

1 hour ago, Monkeyrobot said:

How did he enter the country on a one way ticket? 

You only need a tourist visa, return required for visa exempt entry.

But it is sad to see yet another who is blind to the risks of Thailand fall between the very large cracks. I wonder if he was on overstay, or if his insurance had expired? It is not like going to another country in the EU. You need to PLAN and LEARN before you come.

On 3/8/2019 at 9:01 AM, JimP said:

No surprises for a hit-and-run.  Totally Thai style.  Yeah, say what you will about the irresponsibility of the young chap on an uninsured bike, but if this were a civilized country, and the, presumably,  'at fault' person stuck around after the accident, it'd be a different story. 

"Oh, I hit someone. I'll help him to a hospital so he doesn't get too <deleted> up lying on the road. And oh, I happen to have insurance which may help out the situation since it was my fault." --Words never spoken by a Thai.

When I worked in Map Ta Phut I was given a truck as part of my contract and was told that if I hit anyone to "floor it" and get out of there if possible because "relatives" would come out of the woodwork for "compensation".

On 3/10/2019 at 11:18 AM, Pilotman said:

another irresponsible moron, who expects others to pick up the tab for his idiocy.  

No, it was a hit and run, could have happened if he was crossing the road (as has happened many times).

6 hours ago, fisherd3 said:

Thai citizens rented a motorbike to an alien who did not have a driving licence .

The cause of the problem. 

See below:

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Plenty of foreigners renting out on Samui. 

Exactly! it is just as likely that he rented from a 'farang' business.

9 hours ago, SamuiGeezer said:

No, it was a hit and run, could have happened if he was crossing the road (as has happened many times).

"He got knocked off a moped he'd hired in what we think may have been a hit-and-run accident," 

On 3/12/2019 at 12:13 PM, PoorSucker said:

The irresponsibility comes from riding without a licence and therefore without insurance. Anywhere else in that world that would be stupid, in Thailand its moronic. 

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The irresponsibility comes from riding without a licence and therefore without insurance. Anywhere else in that world that would be stupid, in Thailand its moronic. 

I would also say in Thailand it is common practice?

Young guys on holiday are notoriously brave and gun-ho, so really it should be up to the Thai authorities to stop this happening.

BTW since 2005 I have ridden a motorcycle every day, without helmet or insurance but then I was an experienced (licensed) rider when I got here. Knowing the risks and deciding to ride accordingly is not moronic, it's just resisting being a snowflake needing all the spoon-fed protection life can possibly offer. Why travel at all, if you need to take your nanny-state neediness with you?

51 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

I would also say in Thailand it is common practice?

Young guys on holiday are notoriously brave and gun-ho, so really it should be up to the Thai authorities to stop this happening.

BTW since 2005 I have ridden a motorcycle every day, without helmet or insurance but then I was an experienced (licensed) rider when I got here. Knowing the risks and deciding to ride accordingly is not moronic, it's just resisting being a snowflake needing all the spoon-fed protection life can possibly offer. Why travel at all, if you need to take your nanny-state neediness with you?

That attitude is as irresponsible as this young man.  What if you injured someone else and you are not insured, or God forbid, killed someone else?  Moronic seems to be the right word to use here. 

46 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

irresponsible

You seem to be incapable of lateral thinking. Someone pottering around on a bike on an island is hardly likely to kill anyone, self included.

So far as death or injury, the bike is covered by third party compulsory insurance but as I said, ride accordingly and there is little difference except a feeling of the wind in your hair.

Note it is legal to ride thus in certain places; even in the US of A there are counties where a helmet is optional - oh the horror!

If your paranoia pertains to major roads or motorway riding then yes, I would use a helmet, and appropriate gear.

Do you wear a helmet to go downstairs? You never know, morons fall down them all the time...

7 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

You seem to be incapable of lateral thinking. Someone pottering around on a bike on an island is hardly likely to kill anyone, self included.

So far as death or injury, the bike is covered by third party compulsory insurance but as I said, ride accordingly and there is little difference except a feeling of the wind in your hair.

Note it is legal to ride thus in certain places; even in the US of A there are counties where a helmet is optional - oh the horror!

If your paranoia pertains to major roads or motorway riding then yes, I would use a helmet, and appropriate gear.

Do you wear a helmet to go downstairs? You never know, morons fall down them all the time...

I just can't be doing with people you mate. 

Archived