Optician decapitated as "brake failure" Bangkok bus mounts the footpath

webfact

Optician decapitated as "brake failure" Bangkok bus mounts the footpath

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A 33 year old woman died after a bus on Route 115 in Bangkok suffered brake failure coming down from a bridge in Bangkapi. 

Thai Rath described a grisly scene as the victim's decapitated head lay in the road with blood and brain matter all over the fruit at a roadside market. 

Benjawan Muangkate had been crushed between the left side of the bus and a power pole. She was out shopping at the market around 7.30 pm on Wednesday evening.

Pol Capt Thanathorn Yotkaew of the Lat Prao police responded to the call and went to the end of Soi 125 in the Bangkapi area of Bangkok. 

There he found a bus on route 115 Siam Park to Sathorn stopped on the left. It had damage to the front left fender and a smashed front light. There was brain matter and blood stains on the bus. 

Some distance away was the victim who was wearing a grey t-shirt and brown shorts. 

Her face had been ripped off in the impact and her skull had separated from the neck. 

There was further brain and bloodstains on the sidewalk and splattered over fruit for sale in a shop at the market. 

Her left leg was broken. The only ID on the victim was a card indicating that she lived at Lumpini Condominium Happyland. 

The driver of the bus was 64 year old Somjit Momphan who said he had left the Sathorn garage and had 10 passengers aboard at the time. 

All seemed normal at the lights at an intersection moments before but after he went over the bridge traversing the Klong Saen Saep (a main Bangkok canal) he suffered brake failure on the downward stretch. 

He tried to control his vehicle but could not and collided with the pedestrian on the footpath at the end of Soi 125 crushing her between his vehicle and a power pole. 

Police did not know who she was and went to the condo. 

Thai Rath reported that sources said she was 33 year old Benjawan Muangkate an employee of Top Charoen opticians. 

The driver has been charged with negligent driving causing death. 

Thai Rath called the 115 the "route from hell" saying it was yet another accident on this route. They gave no further details about previous problems on this route.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-07

Always those brake failures, never driver failures. Is it so hard to blame the driver.

Brake failures happens so often as here in Thailand, I don't, will and can't believe it anymore as so many other "white" lies here.

Nothing like a graphic description to brighten up the day just wash the fruit straighten the bus and start all over again no going to spec savers was going to save this poor woman shopping in the market and slaughtered by a bus and all blamed of course on faithful????RIP

If the bus had manual transmission could he not have forced it into a lower gear to reduce speed plus apply the handbrake and sound the horn as warning ? Maybe drift the bus into the cement barrier on the side of the bridge to also slow it down.

Probably too many things to think of.

So, now brake failure affects the steering here. How else can the driver explain veering off and hitting a pole and this unfortunate lady.

I would suggest that he drifted to the left out of sheer incompetence or god forbid, he was on his phone.

Brake failure my arse! Driver shouda gone to SpecSavers.

Just now, Denim said:

If the bus had manual transmission could he not have forced it into a lower gear to reduce speed plus apply the handbrake and sound the horn as warning ?

Probably too many things to think of.

To quote the Thais ............ You tink too mutt.

I struggle to see the point in outlining every single injury in graphic detail just for the benefit of the reader. Most newspapers with any decorum would just say "the victim suffered significant and unsurvivable injuries" or similar. We probably don't need to know that her face was ripped off her skull.

15 minutes ago, SammyT said:

I struggle to see the point in outlining every single injury in graphic detail just for the benefit of the reader. Most newspapers with any decorum would just say "the victim suffered significant and unsurvivable injuries" or similar. We probably don't need to know that her face was ripped off her skull.

Thank you SammyT for saving me the data entry. Ditto.

But I am enlightened to know the victim "was wearing a grey t-shirt and brown shorts".

RIP to the victim.

Pity for the friends and family who must read of the overly graphic details.

This area is a nightmare at the best of times, but with the sky train construction here there are lengthy delays, possible he has just gunned it to get through the lights, this is a T junction and he has to turn left or right but seems he has gone straight. 

Edit, 125 is away from the junction a little so as he has come over San saeb he must have gone right at the lights, there must have been little traffic to get as far as 125.

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

I believe that it is intended to drive home  the tragedy. We are reading the English language translation of the Thai language version intended for Thais. Keep in mind that this is a country where TV shows must have idiotic sounds to indicate when to laugh, or when there is a  "joke". TV and film actors overplay their roles with exaggerated facial expressions etc. Outrage must be prompted.

25 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Checking and replacing brakes are costlier than human lives here...

education of the drivers and strict control would be even more important.

Educated drivers will know how to brake - and how not to brake,

and they will be aware when the brakes have problems - and take appropriate action

3 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Always those brake failures, never driver failures. Is it so hard to blame the driver.

Brake failures happens so often as here in Thailand, I don't, will and can't believe it anymore as so many other "white" lies here.

If you knew the skills of the guys who work in the brake repair garages, you could understand.

4 hours ago, SammyT said:

I suggest that you never visit Liveleak or Bestgore websites. 

4 hours ago, SammyT said:

Yeah the bit I thought was ironic was where it had just told you all the gory bits about face, skull and brains all over the fruit stall, then mentioned she had a broken leg.   That was the least of her worries!

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Nothing like a graphic description to brighten up the day just wash the fruit straighten the bus and start all over again no going to spec savers was going to save this poor woman shopping in the market and slaughtered by a bus and all blamed of course on faithful????RIP

for me the graphic detail further increases the impact of the story.. could also help recover more damages in court for her next of kin

The broken leg seemed rather insignificant and did we really need to know her face was ripped off?

Decapitated kind of covers everything. 

I wonder if somchai thought of using the horn all the way down? doubt it.

The brake failure excuse is used so often here because to actually apportion blame correctly on the incompetence of the useless drivers would be too much of a disturbing admission and many locals would probably get volatile at being handed the truth and singled out for their stupidity (children generally don't react too well to that). It is far easier and comfortable to try to blame something that is not human and an act of God, so to speak, as the average local "CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" as Jack Nicholson eloquently put it in a famous movie.

Archived