Possible missing person situation.

Jm1g

Hi guys.

My 21 yo girlfriend has just messaged me to say her elderly/frail mother has disappeared. Me and the gf are in Bangkok, the family is in rural Chang rai, and are poor.

This is all of the information I have right now, but the Gf is inconsolable. This has never happened before apparently. She disappeared yesterday at some point.

Im trying to formulate a plan should she not show up. I have found a k9 SAR dog group on Facebook that I may contact should this carry on.

Looking for advice on how to proceed and what I can do to help should it be confirmed she is missing? Are there any professional bodies up in chiang rai that will help a poor family?

Thanks in advance. 

Edit: I mention the age of my gf because she is unlikely to have the presence of mind to be proactive about this, her brothers and sisters are outside Thailand, and her father is also elderly. I am suspecting should the bad news be confirmed, I am the only one who is likely to be putting some sort of rescue attempt together.  Me and the GF are in Bangkok 

First you would talk to family, then neighbors, the village headman and finally the police.  That is assuming there is a genuine problem.  You should probably spend some time getting to know the background of your girlfriend and where she comes from.  Go spend some time in her village and learn how things work.

29 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

First you would talk to family, then neighbors, the village headman and finally the police.  That is assuming there is a genuine problem.  You should probably spend some time getting to know the background of your girlfriend and where she comes from.  Go spend some time in her village and learn how things work.

Sound advice. I do not expect to be going to chiang rai though. The girlfriend is not exactly long term, but she will be overwhelmed and unsure of what to do, and will look to me for advice. Thank you for your reply.

22 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Police missing persons report after 24 hours.

24 hours is coming up soon. Will the police actually do anything though? 

1 hour ago, Jm1g said:

Edit: I mention the age of my gf because she is unlikely to have the presence of mind to be proactive about this, her brothers and sisters are outside Thailand, and her father is also elderly. I am suspecting should the bad news be confirmed, I am the only one who is likely to be putting some sort of rescue attempt together.  Me and the GF are in Bangkok

Still, people in rural communities do not live in total isolation from their neighbors.  You make it sound like there is no-one else and you are the only one interested or capable of sorting things out.  In that case how did you even become aware of the supposed situation if there is nobody interested or involved?  Relatives and neighbors are in a much better position to help than you are in Bangkok, especially if you are unwilling to go to see for yourself.  The best thing you can do is provide emotional comfort and support for your young and inexperienced short-term girlfriend (soon to be ex?)

24 hours is coming up soon. Will the police actually do anything though? 

Why is the GF's age relevant? Strange

It's 24 hours after you filed in a missing person report at the POLICE STATION not when you posted on TV

Archived