Bike Licence On Tourist Visa

finy

Please excuse me if this question has been asked a hundred times. I can't find any more information on it online.

It says you need work permit or RESIDENCE PERMIT FORM IMMIGRATION along with a few other documents to apply.

From my research it looks like immigration will actually give you a residence permit form if you provide a contract from your apartment building + TM30 with landlords signature.

So it seems you could get that on a tourist visa and apply to sit the motorbike test.

Am i Correct?

cheers

If when you say tourist visa you mean an actual visa issued from a Thai embassy or consulate not a 30 day stamp on arrival then yes it should be possible...your home country embassy may be willing to issue a "certificate of residence" if immigration won't.
+ if you have a motorcycle licence from your home country already...then you could use that or "exchange" it for a Thai one with only vision tests....no theory or practical test.

If when you say tourist visa you mean an actual visa issued from a Thai embassy or consulate not a 30 day stamp on arrival then yes it should be possible...your home country embassy may be willing to issue a "certificate of residence" if immigration won't.
+ if you have a motorcycle licence from your home country already...then you could use that or "exchange" it for a Thai one with only vision tests....no theory or practical test.

3 hours ago, finy said:

So it seems you could get that on a tourist visa and apply to sit the motorbike test.

Am i Correct?

All DLT offices operate a bit different go ask at the one nearest to where you stay. 

2 hours ago, johng said:

Even opn visa exempt it is possible, depending on the immigration and DLT office concerned.

10 hours ago, johng said:

I don't have a bike license at home, but I'd be willing to go through Thai test.

Save the hassle of being fined all the time.

Yeah I mean an actual tourist visa, not a 30 day VOA.

6 hours ago, eisfeld said:

At least in Phuket it is possible. But as mentioned, different offices, different rules.

Might have to plan a little trip ha

Any particular area in Phuket?

Usually the only tricky thing is to get a residence certificate because some provinces require more than 30 days left in your permission of stay. If you have more than 30 days then you can do it without any hassle just take a couple of days and is pretty easy to pass.

I can give you advice regarding Chiang Mai, but you still didn't say where are you...

10 minutes ago, aremesal said:
1 hour ago, finy said:
Yeah it will be Chiang Mai.

cheers

Today it's late, tomorrow morning I will write the whole process and costs in CM ????

Thank you.

Last year I decided to get the Thai license - if I plan to live for a long time here, the IDP is only valid for the first 3 months according to Thai laws and the IDP from my country is only valid for one year, so it's not a good option for the long term. I took all the tests as I didn't have the IDP at that time.

First the paperwork:

- Residence certificate: go to Inmigration, go by the stairs at the right of the building. It's first or second floor, just ask for the certificate. You need a copy of your contract and copy of the TM30, as well as copies of your passport and photo. Just ask the staff "I need it for tomorrow" and they'll ask you for the 1000฿ and give you a "receipt" for pick up next day.

- Medical certificate: you can do it in any clinic. Depending on the fancy it could be between 100 and 500฿. Any small clinic - I mean, any just-a-man-behind-a-counter clinic can do it. It's a matter of 10 minutes.

- Standard copies of your passport, etc. Photos not needed. Bring your actual passport too.

Go to the Land Trasport Office at 8am or earlier:

-it's in the Hang Dong Road, going south, opposite the airport and before the Big C. It's easy to spot, just ride and when you see the big "Always wear helmet" sign, go inside.

- In the building go to the first floor, reception/information desk, ask for the driving license and give them all the paperwork; they will check and send you to the #20some counter where an English speaking staff will check again, keep everything and give you a number.

- They will call everyone for the blind and reaction test, just follow the people. The blind test you can say the colors in English or Thai. If you can walk in the street without killing yourself, you'll pass it.

- Then, go to the #1 room for the training. The training is a 5 hours video + explanations in Thai. Some of the videos are subtitled to English. The instructor will give you a "book" with all the Traffic Act, the signs, etc. so you can study while the only language is Thai. There's a break for lunch and eventually they'll return the passport to you.

- After finish the training they ask who is going to take the test next day. Memorize your number and go home.

The theory test is pretty easy, if you have a license back home. But somethings are a bit different from the western countries so if you want to "study" you can do this tests a couple of times: http://thaidriving.info/

I did it 3-4 times, and get a 50/50 in the test. But as said, it's pretty easy. My thai gf had only car license since 20 years ago, and last month decided to take the test for the bike license, she didn't "study" one minute and get a 49/50, so don't be worry about it, it's easy.

Second day:

- go early and go to the last room, marked as "Test room". Say your number from yesterday and they will give you a card. With that card you can sit in a machine, put the card inside and take the test. The test is 50 questions, you can fail up to 4 if I remember well. It's in some different languages (Thai, Chinese, English, and some more) and it's pretty obvious to use. You can go fordward and back until finish. When finish the machine will tell you your score, take the card and go to the desk, they'll check again and print the result for you, you have to keep that paper with you for the driving test.

- Go for lunch

- Driving test: go to the test area and wait to be called - just follow all the people. They'll briefly explain the circuit, then go to your bike, put the helmet and follow the people to do the test. If you can ride a motorcycle you can pass the test without any issue, it's pretty simple: ride, stop, turn right, stop, turn left, small hill, easy slalom, ride on a 15m long 20cm wide curb, stop before the line, you're done. After that wait in the area of "test passed". Remember 3 things: always use the turn indicator, always put both feet on the ground when stopping, and wear your helmet all the time - even when you're not riding - until you have the papers with you.

- When they return you the papers stating you passed, you can go to the main building, and is in this moment when you can put off your helmet. Go again to the information desk and they'll give you a number.

- Wait for the number to be called, go to the desk, pay the tax (105฿ if I remember well) and go inside near the 3 photo booths, wait again for your number.

- When your number is called go to the booth, they'll take a photo and print the license in a couple of minutes. You can buy a plastic envelope for the license, 10฿

And you're done, congrats, now you have a 2-years license ???? 

aremesal: good post! One thing to add: If the CM immigration is anything like the Phuket one, then they ask for a bit more recently when you want a residency cert from them. The contract has to be signed in blue (not black), one needs a copy of the ID card of the house/condo owner as well as a PoA that authorizes you to register yourself on their behalf. They also asked me for a copy of the house book. Alternatively one can bring the landlord in person to immigration. As I see CM Immigration seems to ask for a 1000 THB "fee", maybe they are more lenient in that regard?

aremesal: good post! One thing to add: If the CM immigration is anything like the Phuket one, then they ask for a bit more recently when you want a residency cert from them. The contract has to be signed in blue (not black), one needs a copy of the ID card of the house/condo owner as well as a PoA that authorizes you to register yourself on their behalf. They also asked me for a copy of the house book. Alternatively one can bring the landlord in person to immigration. As I see CM Immigration seems to ask for a 1000 THB "fee", maybe they are more lenient in that regard?

I think you're mixing the TM30 and the residence certificate ;)

If you want to do the TM30 in behalf of the owner then yes, you need all the things you said - or go with the landlord.

But for the residence certificate you only need the (copy of) contract, photo, and copies of passport. Here in Chiang Mai they enforce the TM30 so they ask you to have it properly done *before* applying for the certificate.

Here they ask for 1000฿ for the next day certificate, or free if you can wait 5-6 weeks [emoji34]

Maybe it has changed, the last residence certificate I get was last November...

Well, in Phuket they require you to do the TM30 before you can get a certificate of residence, that's why I mentioned it. You are correct in that it's not for the residency cert but you need to do it anyways to get the cert ????

Maybe the OP did the TM30 already, maybe his landlord did. But chances are that it might be not the case. It's a relatively new enforcement.

One more thing for the OP: if you want to get a license then maybe you want to also buy a bike on your name. If so, better get 2 residency certs at the same time. One for the DLT to get the license and one to get the bike registered on your name.

Well, in Phuket they require you to do the TM30 before you can get a certificate of residence, that's why I mentioned it. You are correct in that it's not for the residency cert but you need to do it anyways to get the cert [emoji846]

Maybe the OP did the TM30 already, maybe his landlord did. But chances are that it might be not the case. It's a relatively new enforcement.

One more thing for the OP: if you want to get a license then maybe you want to also buy a bike on your name. If so, better get 2 residency certs at the same time. One for the DLT to get the license and one to get the bike registered on your name.
Yes, better to be sure about the TM30. Here in CM they enforce it so I'm used to think everyone has it - because you cannot get an extension if not, by example. But we don't know if the OP has it, so you're right, better to give the info ;)

If buying a bike, in CM you can re-use the certificate IF they sign it at the Land Transport Office where you do the transfer. I mean, if you bring original and copy, they will sign and put a seal so the other Land Transport Office will accept the signed copy. I did it last September (I bought a bike same month I get my car license) to avoid two certificates.

Just a heads up: the certificate is valid for one month.

7 hours ago, aremesal said:

Last year I decided to get the Thai license - if I plan to live for a long time here, the IDP is only valid for the first 3 months according to Thai laws and the IDP from my country is only valid for one year, so it's not a good option for the long term. I took all the tests as I didn't have the IDP at that time.

First the paperwork:

- Residence certificate: go to Inmigration, go by the stairs at the right of the building. It's first or second floor, just ask for the certificate. You need a copy of your contract and copy of the TM30, as well as copies of your passport and photo. Just ask the staff "I need it for tomorrow" and they'll ask you for the 1000฿ and give you a "receipt" for pick up next day.

- Medical certificate: you can do it in any clinic. Depending on the fancy it could be between 100 and 500฿. Any small clinic - I mean, any just-a-man-behind-a-counter clinic can do it. It's a matter of 10 minutes.

- Standard copies of your passport, etc. Photos not needed. Bring your actual passport too.

Go to the Land Trasport Office at 8am or earlier:

-it's in the Hang Dong Road, going south, opposite the airport and before the Big C. It's easy to spot, just ride and when you see the big "Always wear helmet" sign, go inside.

- In the building go to the first floor, reception/information desk, ask for the driving license and give them all the paperwork; they will check and send you to the #20some counter where an English speaking staff will check again, keep everything and give you a number.

- They will call everyone for the blind and reaction test, just follow the people. The blind test you can say the colors in English or Thai. If you can walk in the street without killing yourself, you'll pass it.

- Then, go to the #1 room for the training. The training is a 5 hours video + explanations in Thai. Some of the videos are subtitled to English. The instructor will give you a "book" with all the Traffic Act, the signs, etc. so you can study while the only language is Thai. There's a break for lunch and eventually they'll return the passport to you.

- After finish the training they ask who is going to take the test next day. Memorize your number and go home.

The theory test is pretty easy, if you have a license back home. But somethings are a bit different from the western countries so if you want to "study" you can do this tests a couple of times: http://thaidriving.info/

I did it 3-4 times, and get a 50/50 in the test. But as said, it's pretty easy. My thai gf had only car license since 20 years ago, and last month decided to take the test for the bike license, she didn't "study" one minute and get a 49/50, so don't be worry about it, it's easy.

Second day:

- go early and go to the last room, marked as "Test room". Say your number from yesterday and they will give you a card. With that card you can sit in a machine, put the card inside and take the test. The test is 50 questions, you can fail up to 4 if I remember well. It's in some different languages (Thai, Chinese, English, and some more) and it's pretty obvious to use. You can go fordward and back until finish. When finish the machine will tell you your score, take the card and go to the desk, they'll check again and print the result for you, you have to keep that paper with you for the driving test.

- Go for lunch

- Driving test: go to the test area and wait to be called - just follow all the people. They'll briefly explain the circuit, then go to your bike, put the helmet and follow the people to do the test. If you can ride a motorcycle you can pass the test without any issue, it's pretty simple: ride, stop, turn right, stop, turn left, small hill, easy slalom, ride on a 15m long 20cm wide curb, stop before the line, you're done. After that wait in the area of "test passed". Remember 3 things: always use the turn indicator, always put both feet on the ground when stopping, and wear your helmet all the time - even when you're not riding - until you have the papers with you.

- When they return you the papers stating you passed, you can go to the main building, and is in this moment when you can put off your helmet. Go again to the information desk and they'll give you a number.

- Wait for the number to be called, go to the desk, pay the tax (105฿ if I remember well) and go inside near the 3 photo booths, wait again for your number.

- When your number is called go to the booth, they'll take a photo and print the license in a couple of minutes. You can buy a plastic envelope for the license, 10฿

And you're done, congrats, now you have a 2-years license ???? 

Thanks very much buddy.

Should be a sticky.

3 hours ago, coollife99 said:

About Residence certificate, what if we own a condo with Chanote ?

That's a good question.

Knowing Thailand you would probably have to have a Yellow Tabien house book, and just showing them the chanote which states you are the legal owner, wouldn't do. ????

On 3/7/2019 at 1:43 PM, Kwasaki said:

All DLT offices operate a bit different go ask at the one nearest to where you stay. 

Exactly, and even staff at the same office will say differently. When I went to renew my 5 year licence once,  the girl said I could only have a year's one as that was all my extension was,  on explaining that's the maximum extension available she relented after consulting with a colleague saying she would do it for me this time. 

Archived