Italian motorcyclist's arm broken by Thai motorist wielding hammer

webfact

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, we know the score, but that's not a reason to excuse thuggish behaviour (of course, i know you don't)

Driving slowly is not a crime as far as i know, while we can regard driving too fast as a danger for everyone.

Driving slow on a scooter is not a crime but can be dangerous too, as it lacks the gyroscopic inertia, which is needed to keep the bike upright.

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

if this was me, I would be trying to figure out what the universe was trying to tell me.

Leave Thailand.

Which is what half the people in these stories should do.

I would go live with my parents, my kids or my ex for four months of recovery rather than drive around Thailand on a scooter with crutches. Not a good place for the disabled. 

Though you have to admire the faring guys in wheelchairs powering around the streets. Real balls. But they don't expect to live long, do they?

Leave Thailand.

Which is what half the people in these stories should do.

I would go live with my parents, my kids or my ex for four months of recovery rather than drive around Thailand on a scooter with crutches. Not a good place for the disabled. 

Though you have to admire the faring guys in wheelchairs powering around the streets. Real balls. But they don't expect to live long, do they?

'Don't expect to live long', what a statement, we have a TV member, ex Commando, Sergeant Major Colineil, ya don't wanna F#$k with him on the highway!images.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Agree with you mate, but the Italian clearly was not in full control of his bike, his girlfriend said as much, he could only drive slow.

Lol.... if driving an M/C slowly is an excuse to assault someone, roundabout Rawai it would be hammer time 24/7.... the three wheel jalopies aside, M/C speeds annoyingly vary from 10kph to 100kph, regardless of traffic conditions, in any given 100meter section.

26 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

Driving slow on a scooter is not a crime but can be dangerous too, as it lacks the gyroscopic inertia, which is needed to keep the bike upright.

Fair enough, but that would be less than 5km x h.

8 hours ago, greenbottle555 said:

Exactly this. There is no such cultural concept as "virtue" or "chivalry" in asia. They are not a savage people by any means at all, they respect authority and order. But only through strength do they respect those, not out of foreign concepts like compassion or chivalry. The only way a weak person here is shown compassion is if they are family.

Another thing, I get xenophobic attitudes but only when I am out alone. With a thai friend or GF, nothing... these people are weak minded pussies and will only dog pile on when they're pack has their side.

Sad to say that I agree with you. In all my time here I have friends from a few different countries ( even one from USA ????????) but I have only one Thai friend who is an ex company director who was educated in the UK.

12 hours ago, volsfan said:

As most can imagine, the Thai's are like vultures when they see an injured foreigner ripe for the pickings.

I am sorry to say that I have to agree. In July 2017 I was in a motorbike accident. No broken bones but lots of road rash all over the right side of my body, so I had to make a trip to a clinic every day to have the dressings changed. The local motorbike taxi in Nong Krabork, a 50+ lady, agreed to take me to Mithmitree clinic in Khao Talo for 60 THB. Then, little by little, she started asking for more. So did the ones in Khao Talo I used for the return trip back home. As if they were saying "me the only motorbike taxi here, you no have choice". Which I did not have because I was wrapped in dressings like a mummy and moving was difficult and painful. In a week or so I had had enough and my condition had got a little better. Getting on my PCX was cumbersome, yet I preferred driving myself to having anything to do any more with people taking advantage of a person in a bad situation.

Amazing what people keep in their cars. This one had a hammer, some have guns. With this sort of thing going on, why do we stay here?

If a Farang hammered a Thai the Police would be all over him, but when a Thai does it to a Farang nothing will be done.

Still, I am impressed that his Thai girlfriend fought back on his behalf.

12 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I beg to differ, driving slowly is dangerous only for twisted minds.

So, unless you are going to save the world, you have no excuse to drive fast, pls get a grip.

my training says keep up with the flow

18 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

One can just to hope it doesn't become a trend to carry hammers and smack slow drivers.

I  think a lot of Thais  carry "something"  in their vehicles, was  once told by a policeman to  carry a  samurai sword in the back of my pick  up.

1 hour ago, cookieqw said:

my training says keep up with the flow

what does your "training"  say when they are  a metre from your  bumper, or  pull out of a  side  road without  any  looking at all................how  about if they all drove over a  cliff?

19 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Probably shouldn't have been riding at all !

In which case maybe we should  just have all Thai drivers  removed and pummelled  with hammers.............either  that or dumb posters?

Im getting down to Global House  real  fast before the  hammer  supply runs  out

16 hours ago, MekkOne said:

I personally ride a Suzuki DR 800 Big for 350 km in the desert with a broken leg so? Maybe you should check what you got in the sack, if are balls or chestnuts...

If you are not in a position to put a leg down or kick out the side-stand it isn't what you are lacking in your pants that is the issue. 

20 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Probably shouldn't have been riding at all !

He had a previously broken leg.. so that means he should give up on doing anything then ???

He was trying to be independent & carry on as best he could.

That's no reason to be attacked!

On 3/6/2019 at 7:54 PM, volsfan said:

About 11 years ago, I took a tumble on Pattaya Tai during the water pipe fiasco and broke my ankle. 105k baht worth of surgery later, I was out and about with no weight-bearing for 4 months while the ankle healed.

As most can imagine, the Thai's are like vultures when they see an injured foreigner ripe for the pickings. Baht buses wanted demanded 300 baht from Walking Street to just behind the Carrefour. More when it was raining. 

Tried motorbike taxi's a couple of times. In total fear for my life. If you are already injured from a motorbike accident, you will NOT get on the back of one of those guys more than once or twice.

In the end, I rented a Honda Click so that I could stand the crutches up in front of the seat and drove myself. Much safer, and significantly less expensive, than the alternatives.

I got hit by a motorcycle taxi. The driver was kind enough to drive me to the hospital. I was worried but thankful.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:22 AM, kannot said:

I  think a lot of Thais  carry "something"  in their vehicles, was  once told by a policeman to  carry a  samurai sword in the back of my pick  up.

I'd guess you have chosen something less theatrical as a self-defense weapon.

Yep, probably a lot of motorists carry something, but thankfully, breaking the limbs of slow drivers is not the norm yet.

While 'enjoying' the amazing traffic jam yesterday I encountered a van oddly marked "Police News." Presumably when not following Big Joke around, this vehicle is used to create a good image and film taxi drivers returning lost wallets. I doubt it ever records Italians being hammered. What other country's police force would have its own in house news department? Ah must project a good image of Thailand eh.

Having received two broken limbs, (I would have returned to Italy after the first one), I trust our Italian friend has got the message by now and left, or do they have to whack him a third time before he gets the idea? Perhaps he also took note of the courageous Thai girl who stood up and helped him and has taken her back to Italy with him.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:04 AM, colinneil said:

Agree with you mate, but the Italian clearly was not in full control of his bike, his girlfriend said as much, he could only drive slow.

As we all know it does not take much to set a Thai man off, when driving, road rage here is a very serious problem.

What happened prior to being hit with the hammer? We dont know, and neither him or his girlfriend will be forthcoming about that.

I did'nt know that you have to use your feet or legs to control these 'step through' scooters.

You've all got it wrong.it was a farang using his arm to attack a Thai who happened to be carrying a hammer...it happens all over the world.diabled people attacking others using their bones as deadly weapons...let's face it when a Thai says your going too slow it would probably mean your not doing 100kmh in a 40kmh zone.

Archived