Much talk about statins over-pushed by pharma

THAIPHUKET

I've been on statins (Mircadis) since ages, don't feel any side effects. 

Never had any serious symptoms. Don't even know my normal blood pressure, To stop a statin short term in order to see the effect doesn't seem to work. And to find a doc who can give sound advice will be tough. WHOM to trust? This post was stimulated by FRACTUREDRABBIT

image.png.5bbc6e46294fc58226c5fbf296eff57a.png

17 minutes ago, THAIPHUKET said:

I've been on statins (Mircadis) since ages, don't feel any side effects. 

(1) Mircadis (telmisartan) is not a statin.

(2) Stop paying attention to crank sites purporting to give medical evidence.  You clearly don't have the expertise to evaluate the nonsense they peddle.

You should stay on your meds, unless otherwise advised by a doctor who knows your medical history.

Eating clean food & exercising regularly all assist in maintaining good health, it helps to stay lean, i.e. getting rid of any tyre around your stomach.

You should be checking your blood pressure twice a year, i.e. every 6 months so as to know how your travelling.

Your body is like a car, it needs to be serviced with good fuel/oils regularly. 

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

(1) Mircadis (telmisartan) is not a statin.

(2) Stop paying attention to crank sites purporting to give medical evidence.  You clearly don't have the expertise to evaluate the nonsense they peddle.

Agree.

Mircadis is an angiotensin receptor blocker used to treat high blood pressure and has nothing to do with statins.

You can get your blood pressure taken at most pharmacies for free. You can also buy a home BPO monitor (Omron brand us good, get the kind that wrap around upper arm, not the wrist devised) and should, if you need BP medication then you ought to monitor your BP at home.

If you want a recommendation for a doctor please state your location in Thailand. Who was it that prescribed the Mircardis in the first place?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry,

Agree.

Mircadis is an angiotensin receptor blocker used to treat high blood pressure and has nothing to do with statins.

You can get your blood pressure taken at most pharmacies for free. You can also buy a home BPO monitor (Omron brand us good, get the kind that wrap around upper arm, not the wrist devised) and should, if you need BP medication then you ought to monitor your BP at home.

If you want a recommendation for a doctor please state your location in Thailand. Who was it that prescribed the Mircardis in the first place?

Sheryl, I read your comment only today.
I've got no doctor. Can you recommend one in CNX? Benefit of Mircadis I it's taken once per day.
Multiple times taking a day is a no no. I don't want to feel like a drug addict.

Sent from my Pixel using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Multiple times taking a day is a no no. I don't want to feel like a drug addict.

Not sure how that makes one a drug addict - many medications in more basic form do require such usage to provide more even coverage for 24 hour day.  Often 'extended release' or other such versions are available at higher price for those not able or willing to take twice a day.  In the case of blood pressure medications many seem to be one time a day (there are a large number of drugs available).  Treatment for hypertension is not that expensive and available at any hospital so would seek a doctor you feel comfortable with and consider going with that rather than DIY.  A lot of people in today's world fall victim of cardio events so believe it is worth the small costs involved to have professional care.  Am sure Sheryl will provide a good recommendation.  

So you self prescribed Micardis? Why? How high was your blood pressure? And how high is it now on Micardis?

There are much less expensive angiotensin 2 inhibitors if in fact that is what you need. For example, losartan. GPO brand is quite inexpensive and dose is once daily.

Most BP medications are just once a day.

In CM area a good GP is Dr. Morgan

http://www.healthcaremedicalclinic.com/index.php

Good cardiologist:

Dr Patarapong Keelapong at CM RAM

http://www.chiangmairam.com/searchdoctor1?major_id=&doctor=25

(call, the hours shown on their website are often wrong)

@ Sheryl most helpful as always!

Dr Morgan is really great. Her office is inconvenient at a certain age. I'd wish for her she would move. Bet it would pay off handsomely.

@ FracturedRabbit one day I want to hear the story to that wonderful nickname. Suspense is killing me.

Any rabbit pet with a broken leg in your childhood?

A pain never overcome?

@Sheryl  Mircadis was prescribed 20??? years ago. No recollection at what pressure level I was back then.

Since all these years it went never over 150. always 80-135 range. Probably the reason why no doc asked any questions or suggested a change. Nevertheless, I will see  Dr Patarapong, can't be wrong. I like to pay for negative medical reports

Archived