BANGKOK 22 April 2019 09:05
Pravda

Construction costs of houses going through the roof?

Posted (edited)

No pun intended, but my wife just showed me a few houses her family is building on the land they own. Decent looking houses, 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom. but really nothing special. Construction costs from 2-3 million. Now from looking the past threads this would have been 800k baht a couple of years ago or maybe I'm just confused?

Also, I don't know if it makes any difference that these houses in Surat Thani and not Isaan where labor is perhaps cheaper.... but that much cheaper?

I don't know anything about houses in Thailand, not interested in buying or building one, so this is just an amateurish observation.

Edited by blackcab
Added "Construction costs" to add clarity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are fairly set prices for the construction of properties per square meter.

The quality of internal finishing, kitchens and bathrooms can vary the final price considerably.

There are quite a few threads showing what members have built and the associated costs.

• Like 2

3 bed 3 bath, described as "nothing special", for 2-3 million, does sound high.  If they're all about the same, be even more interesting to know why there's a 1 million spread between them - you said "a few houses", so I presume it's only 3.  

Are you financially involved in any of them, directly or indirectly?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have edited the OP for clarity and I have removed various posts. Let's try and get this thread back on track and discussing construction costs.

• Thanks 1

Construction costs have increased no more than 20% in ten years. Bog standard unfurnished with Thai block/tiled kitchen 2 bed 2 bath 108 sqm, just being built by me cost 1,100,000, that includes boundry and gate on 55 TW so your 3 bed 3 bath should still really not be more than about 1,300,000...location Jomtien and of course not including land.

41 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I think the only thing certain is that the final cost will be way above the estimate.

I think this a generalisation. We just built a house to a high spec. We provided a detailed spec and contract. Final price was the quoted price.

Labour's not even cheap in Pattaya any more - if you can find it. My Thai builder's paying a 70-year old chain-smoking alcoholic 500 Baht/day for general labour and he's drunk or hungover most days. Can't find anybody young and reliable who wants to do hard work out in the sun. An Irish builder I'v eknown a long time told me that he's having to pay his Thai overseer 70K Baht/month now, up from 50K, or he was going to leave. Maybe it's still cheap in Isaan, but not here any more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

After living here for six years in a house I had built I have to agree that Good hard working Thai labor is hard to find. That is why for any manual labor I want done at a reasonable cost, I hire Thai Yai. They work hard and appreciate it so much when I pay them a reasonable amount plus a tip.

• Like 1

I would guess that the quality / spec of the finishes is the biggest cost escalator. ie standard floor tiles versus marble for example.

Agreed there has been some escalation in materials and labour but not 3 fold.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah and add 20-30% percent if you are building on a small Island, as you will have to pay more for labour (You need to get good workers from BKK prolly) and have to ship the materials over there renting  a barge/ship.

You are also limited in materials there as you can't use normal woods, only 25 plus years old golden teak and some others due to the saltyness of the sea.

Edited by ThomasThBKK

Condo prices too in 5 years almost double,wife-sister buy one in 2013 in Siracha for 2M now the same condo are resale for 3.9 to 4.5 on the same floor....

• Haha 2