Construction costs of houses going through the roof?

On 3/7/2019 at 11:01 PM, Bigstef said:

Condo prices too in 5 years almost double,wife-sister buy one in 2013 in Siracha for 2M now the same condo are resale for 3.9 to 4.5 on the same floor....

Let us know when they actually sell one at those prices ????

On 3/10/2019 at 7:04 AM, baansgr said:

Who would pay $1.000.000 for a house in Issan..... No wonder he can't sell them... That kind of money can buy beachfront or even major  cities around the world where you can actually own the property... 

Oh, they are not aimed now at Farang, but Hiso Thais (chinese?). His earlier development WAS aimed at Farang, but the 20 or so properties (bar one, a friend of mine) are now all owned by mainly stupidly rich Thais who change their Mercedes/BMW every year - because they can - and then gossip about those who cannot. Thai face is a cruel thing .....

Udon got a flurry of interest after the big floods of 2011-12 as a bolthole from the flooding, as rich Bangkokians looked for somewhere with good transport links and affordable prices. As a result Udon got it's first 2 proper condo developments and a small upsurge in luxury houses. No big floods since and also with the current elections coming up, i expect the super rich are not sure how safe they would be ....

Udon is not as poor as you might think. Only city where i have seen a Tesla, and have seen an orange Bugatti and a couple of Ferraris. There was also the Hospital owner/director who reserved an entire floor of the multistory carpark for his Mercedes collection.

• 2 months later...

Experiencing the same here in the Northeast region of Phrae. We are in the midst of finding a reliable contractor whom we could get reasonable quality work using decent quality materials for a 190 Sq. Meter living space with an open space 208 Sq. Meters lower level with concrete slab no walls and detached garage 48 Sq. Meters with a small 2X3 M. tool room and no walls and the best bid has been 4 Million Baht all inclusive using basic finishes for interior and no kitchen furniture/cabinets or counter tops.

2.5 Mil. for lower level and 1.5 Mil. for living area which sounds kind of high for Thailand. Hard to find reliable contractor with reliable teams who are not out to eat only one time off a Farang is my feeling right at this time.

Makes me want to come out of retirement to do it myself but the language barrier is holding me back. 555

24 minutes ago, Rican0722 said:

Experiencing the same here in the Northeast region of Phrae. We are in the midst of finding a reliable contractor whom we could get reasonable quality work using decent quality materials for a 190 Sq. Meter living space with an open space 208 Sq. Meters lower level with concrete slab no walls and detached garage 48 Sq. Meters with a small 2X3 M. tool room and no walls and the best bid has been 4 Million Baht all inclusive using basic finishes for interior and no kitchen furniture/cabinets or counter tops.

2.5 Mil. for lower level and 1.5 Mil. for living area which sounds kind of high for Thailand. Hard to find reliable contractor with reliable teams who are not out to eat only one time off a Farang is my feeling right at this time.

Makes me want to come out of retirement to do it myself but the language barrier is holding me back. 555

My sis-in-law just had a place built . The GC was Thai but everyone of his workers was Cambodian . Thais just don’t want to do this kind of work anymore and I wouldn’t blame them . 

20 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It's certainly much easier to send your sister or daughter to work in a karaoke bar.

If you was living in the past yes . Plenty of factory jobs and office work for everyone . The only girls that go to work

in the bars these days are over the hill , chubby , and have instafamilys just waiting for a gullible desperate farang to ride into town .  

7 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

If you was living in the past yes . Plenty of factory jobs and office work for everyone . The only girls that go to work

in the bars these days are over the hill , chubby , and have instafamilys just waiting for a gullible desperate farang to ride into town .  

Given the choice of an office or factory job for 13,000B a month, or earning several thousand a day in bed, I might be tempted to go with the latter.

As for all hookers being fat and ugly and old, many are these days (especially the ones in tourist areas, for some odd reason) but many aren't when you get away from those areas.

But Thais (and many other nationalities) certainly do tend to look for the easy jobs, and that doesnt usually include construction work.

Archived