BANGKOK 20 March 2019 05:44
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Cafe apologises for 'vile' sign featuring 'appalling' joke about disabled woman

A cafe has been forced to apologise after a sign featuring an inappropriate and 'vile' joke caused outrage among customers.

Seddon Deadly Sins in Melbourne, Australia, regularly has jokes and puns written on a chalk board near the front door, but the most recent offering didn't go down well.

The handwritten sign read: "My girlfriend broke up with me, so I stole her wheelchair.

"Guess who came crawling back."

Photos of the sign were shared on social media and attracted lots of negative comments.

However others have defended the joke and are disappointed the cafe decided to apologise for it.

One angry customer wrote: "Any café that thinks jokes about abuse and violence and against disabled people is NOT a community café worth supporting."

Another added: "Your humour can be utterly wrong without demeaning people. Going for the cheap shot is just that - Cheap. And nasty."

Feminist and campaigner Clementine Ford shared the post on her Facebook page.

She wrote: "It's absolutely appalling and totally ignorant. Women with disabilities are exponentially more exposed to abuse and subject to it by their partners.

"This is not a silly pun. This is explicitly a joke about domestic violence."

But others defended the sign, saying it was clearly just a joke.

One write: "Your blackboard made me laugh. It also treated people the same way as everyone else which is what we're always hearing about - 'They just want to be treated to same way as everyone else...'. Isn't that how it goes?

"The fact that you felt you needed to apologise to a bunch of humourless bleeding hearts is sad, so I'm posting your photo here - and I won't be apologising to anyone!

"P.S. The only thing wrong with your sign was the lack of a 'question mark' at the end of the last sentence."

The owner originally defended the joke but after a series of message took it down and issued an apology.

Posting on Facebook, he wrote: "Today I made the mistake of making light of something that I had not considered was a brutal reality for some people.

"Colleen Hartland shared a report with me that highlighted domestic violence against people with disabilities. I'm ashamed that it took this for me to learn about this abuse.

Full article

The supposed joke is a clever pun.

I doubt it was meant to offend anyone.

But in our supposedly enlightened society, it can clearly be seen that it is a joke in extreme poor taste.

Good on some people for speaking about something that offends them.

I constantly get ribbed about my smallish slim stature, my baldness and my glasses.

And I take it all in good humour and give it back in good humour.

Because it is all a harmless joke.

Such as small people make better athletic love than fat people, Bald people have more male hormones than head hairys

I see better with my rose coloured glasses than you do. And so on.

I take no notice of crass humour, I give it back and try not to be so sensitive.

I find I am more respected more for "giving it back" than taking the outrage option.

Domestic violence? I'm wondering if the joke was written as, ' my boyfriend broke up with me so I stole his wheelchair', etc. would it have the same bleeding hearts/feminists ranting?

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

The world has lost it's sense of humour.

Agreed!  With all this feminist and PC BS so much that used to be funny is now condemned as sexist, racist, religist, homophobic and so on. If it wasn't so serious it'd be funny.

36 minutes ago, colinneil said:

What is all the fuss about?

Little bit of light hearted fun, nothing more.

Now i guess most of the folk complaining about it were able bodied, not disabled.

Couple of weeks back my wife buggered off with my chair, stuck on the bed could not do anything.

You say sorry, you get chair back, my a++e i will not say sorry, i did when i got hungry.:cheesy:😍

Too true colinneil , far too much pc these days , a few years ago when I lived in Hua-Hin a chap next door said his dad was in a POW camp during WW2 , I said was he a Jew , he said no he was a guard . Made me chuckle but could upset many I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

Domestic violence? I'm wondering if the joke was written as, ' my boyfriend broke up with me so I stole his wheelchair', etc. would it have the same bleeding hearts/feminists ranting?

Nope, it would probably have 'em rolling about on the floor in uncontrollable fits of laughter instead.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

The world has lost it's sense of humour.

Many people do not appreciate dark humor or what is now labeled as "insensitive".  Political correctness is the wave of the future. I had to get on board long ago because I had a public sector job. Now that I am retired, I still go out of my way to try to avoid offending people. I have noticed that my attitude is not necessarily reciprocal.

Just now, KhunFred said:

Many people do not appreciate dark humor or what is now labeled as "insensitive".  Political correctness is the wave of the future. I had to get on board long ago because I had a public sector job. Now that I am retired, I still go out of my way to try to avoid offending people. I have noticed that my attitude is not necessarily reciprocal.

Not working.  Many of your posts and threads are offensive to many including the one that just got closed. 

• Confused 1