Does Laos immigation accept old US dollars

I picked up some dollars today for my Laos visa.

But one of the notes is Series 1999

For some reason I can remember they only accept notes printed after a certain date.

It's actually in pristine condition and looks more crisp than the later series one.

Does anyone know if there is a Series date and what it is?

cheers

It will be very difficult to use that old note. The problem is that they are easily forged using modern technology, and it takes an expert to spot the forgeries. If possible, return to where you were given that old note, and argue for its replacement.

EDIT: This page shows the banknotes that will be accepted by normal currency exchange places. A few locations may be less strict, but I would be surprised if you found anyone to accept anything earlier than series 2003 notes, and they will probably be reluctant to accept 2003-2006 series notes also.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

Don't be surprised if Lao officials still manage to find some problem with your USD...as it will cost you more to enter the country using baht.

Not joking, took US dollars to window to receive my Lao visa...was told to step away from the counter...when called back to counter...guess what?...they had "discovered" a small tear on one corner of a $20 bill...they were all smiles...and much to their surprise...so was I...

Best to look at these acts of blatant corruption with a sense of humor...????

Haha don’t worry, I’ve had the issue before and plenty of pondering.

Some companies put a little squiggle on notes as signature, but you can erase them with a rubber in 1 second.

it took them 10 minutes to decide whether they would accept them or not. They must have so much fun.