Netflix film on Tham Luang cave rescue to earn footballers Bt3m each

webfact

Netflix film on Tham Luang cave rescue to earn footballers Bt3m each

By The Nation

a43fd27d166119075d901f5f60bfd079.jpeg

File photo

The world-famous rescue of the 13 young footballers, who were trapped for nearly two weeks in a cave in Chiang Rai last year, will make its way to Netflix soon, the Culture Ministry announced on Thursday at an event in Bangkok’s National Library.

“The series will be produced by Hollywood’s SK Global Entertainment, which has been granted lifetime rights to contact the 13 young members of the Wild Boars football team,” government spokesman Lt-General Werachon Sukondhapatipak said.

SK Global is behind Netflix hits such as “Crazy Rich Asians”, “9 and half Weeks”, Swimfan” and the “Age of Adeline” to name a few. 

Werachon added that the footballers will earn about Bt3 million each from the production, with some of the money going to organisations and foundations that were involved in the rescue operation. 

Sirisak Kotpatcharin, spokesperson for the 13 Tham Luang Company, which is in charge of the copyrights, said the boys and their coach will no longer be allowed to give interviews about their experience without the company’s permission.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30365404

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-08

I wonder how much they're donating to the British Cave Rescue Council, I hope it's a nice chunk of change.

I sent them some money myself when this was happening as I 100% agreed with what they were doing in helping and how they went about it, the rescued people here were merely bystanders......????

"...Werachon added that the footballers will earn about Bt3 million each from the production, with some of the money going to organisations and foundations that were involved in the rescue operation..." 

Call me a cynic, but this is a deal that cries out for some supervision outside of the Thai government.

"...some of the money going..."

How about a little specificity? How much? 

Most importantly, how much is going to go to Thai government officials, for honorariums, meeting fess, etc?

One can't help the feeling that the kids are going to get screwed...

Just now, webfact said:

Sirisak Kotpatcharin, spokesperson for the 13 Tham Luang Company, which is in charge of the copyrights, said the boys and their coach will no longer be allowed to give interviews about their experience without the company’s permission.

Signing away their rights for approximately $100k <laughs>  The Best Boy and Grips will probably make that much. They should be offered a percentage of the box office.  Corporate greed <head-shake>.

Whozz to be rewarded? The boys or those who rescued them? I dont understand how this world is turning! They are the ones who created big suspens around the world and lot of money to rescue them, they did nothing to save themselves except waiting and now they are the stars! 

14 minutes ago, ZAKY said:

Whozz to be rewarded? The boys or those who rescued them? I dont understand how this world is turning! They are the ones who created big suspens around the world and lot of money to rescue them, they did nothing to save themselves except waiting and now they are the stars! 

Probably due to being in the wrong place at the right time.

Dam it! I didnt want to watch this rubbish but now im goingnto see it advertised on netflix repeatedly tempting me just to take a gander... The way i see it is very different to the rest of the world. Been here too long. Something about a grown up with a bunch of boys in a cave that makes no logical and moral sense. Enough said. I guess i will have to probably watch it though if its on netflix but realllyyy dont wana.

The series will be produced by Hollywood

It's a series? The pilot will be the Chiang Rai cave rescue, and then each following week they will be rescued from another cave in Thailand? 

This has international potential, can't wait to see them rescued from a cave in Switzerland...

3 minutes ago, JimSaints said:

How much will their coach get - it was after all him that put the boys life in danger entering the cave ...

as a teacher, as an adult, he was in loco parentis for the children. why is there no condemnation for his lack of duty of care for the children in his care?

on a separate point he was, apparently, taking the children into the cave so they could carve/write their names on the rock. instilling a true love and respect of nature in the children.

what a shining role model he was/is.

Frankly, I think that these kids should get nothing. They'd be dead if it weren't for the foreign rescue teams. 

The whole thing was strange to me, my relatives we all asking me about it, and I wasn't very interested at all.

They must have done some good deeds in their previous incarnations.

32 minutes ago, JimSaints said:

How much will their coach get - it was after all him that put the boys life in danger entering the cave ...

Before standing as judge, jury and executioner, one has to get the whole story, and for that, reading the book I reviewed on this forum a few months ago is a good start. 

In short, Vern Unsworth, the man considered to know the cave the best in the world had planned to visit it the very next day the boys entered it! 

Now, you might claim that you know better than him, or that he is irresponsible, but this is not the general opinion. 

Bad luck simply happens, and there is no need to always look for someone to blame... 

Having said that, I agree with members above that 100,000 dollars is a small amount by Hollywood standards. 

Anyway, what they are selling are only rights on their story, and probably the use of their names. 

Nothing says that the rescuers are not getting their fair share. 

As a matter of fact, it is impossible that they don't, because Netflix needs them as much as the kids, and probably a whole bunch of other individuals. 

46 minutes ago, JimSaints said:

He was also responsible for maintaining their morale in pitch darkness for days one end!

seems to me the money is going to the wrong people the school teacher and kids

they were the ones that caused the problem in the first place and were lucky to be rescued 

the money should be shared out to all involved in the rescue 

I am VERY HAPPY to see these boys benefit from this.

Be able to pay for a good education or save it and be able to buy themselves a nice house in a few years or help a Mom and a Dad in ways that otherwise would never have been possible.

its ALL GOOD~!!!!

4 hours ago, SweetStickyRice said:

Just under $100,000 USD per head!? What a rip off. They will make a killing with this. People will cry and complain later on in their lives when they find out the true figures. And Netflix will hold the rights. Shame.

Agree the figure is too low. But I don't think this movie will even make its money back. By the time it gets distributed, this story will be dead. Nobody is going to watch--or pay to watch.

3 hours ago, connda said:

Signing away their rights for approximately $100k <laughs>  The Best Boy and Grips will probably make that much. They should be offered a percentage of the box office.  Corporate greed <head-shake>.

give them points, not cash

2 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

Sums up the 21st Century.

Keeping the public occupied? smoke and mirrors - in the meantime - business as usual for the "Elites" ????

4 hours ago, SweetStickyRice said:

Just under $100,000 USD per head!? What a rip off. They will make a killing with this. People will cry and complain later on in their lives when they find out the true figures. And Netflix will hold the rights. Shame.

I don't think they'll make such a killing actually. There's not much of a story is there. And if you watched the drama unfold live, as most of the world did, there's little motivation to watch a dramatized version.

Series or film? Probably series as it says in the main text. Not sure how you can stretch it to a few episodes, they'll probably need to add a few hundred screaming katoys and hours of boioioioing sounds.

Archived