Leaving Thailand...

e2x10

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kurtf said:

I have wanted to leave for some time now but I have an albatross hanging around my neck in the form of a house I had built and all my savings are tied up in it. Until it sells, I’m stuck here.

That's a kinda common theme unfortunately

Never a good plan to sink everything into Thailand, especially not real estate.

The used housing market, dependent on where you are really doesn't exist, like you would know it in the West.

We thought about trying to sell our house, but just concluded better to just keep it a vacation home, because trying to sell it was probably impossible

50 minutes ago, randy723 said:

I love everything about Thailand except the driving. 90 % of the Thai people do not know how to drive and do not respect other people on the road. 

Amen to that.

3 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Its getting very expensive and the reasons to stay are becoming less.  The pollution mess has really got us thinking about moving back.  Free education/health care back home as well.

How many years have you been unhappy in Thailand? 

8 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The used housing market, dependent on where you are really doesn't exist, like you would know it in the West.

We thought about trying to sell our house, but just concluded better to just keep it a vacation home, because trying to sell it was probably impossible

Chinese are plowing money into the Thai housing market as never before.  The used housing market is fine. 

Google, "used housing market in Thailand"

2 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Oh dear

Not sure this was the response expected by the OP.

Maybe TV should introduce a fiendish algorithm to weed out these endless ‘are you leaving posts’ No I’m not leaving , actually very happy here, and I would miss my dog.

Perhaps the leavers should first answer a questionnaire before they can post, such as:

1/ I am leaving because I am skint.

2/ I am leaving because I can't stand queueing at Immigration for hours or days anymore.

3/ I am leaving because my stomach can't handle Thai food, which is all I can afford.

4/ I am leaving because I can't cope with Thai road rules. ( Oxymoron, sorry )

5/ I am leaving because I got thumped in a karaoke by 5 Thais when I refused to pay up.

6/ I am leaving because my honours degree was no match for a Thai woman with a third grade education.

7/ I am leaving because Filipina women have bigger tits.

Just now, Lacessit said:

Perhaps the leavers should first answer a questionnaire before they can post, such as:

2/ I am leaving because I can't stand queueing at Immigration for hours or days anymore.

3/ I am leaving because my stomach can't handle Thai food, which is all I can afford.

5/ I am leaving because I got thumped in a karaoke by 5 Thais when I refused to pay up.

6/ I am leaving because my honours degree was no match for a Thai woman with a third grade education.

How about a poll?  Who has been leaving the longest?  Who has been posted the most threads about alternative better destinations than Thailand?

I consider it every now and then. Then i get on a plane and leave. Have some fun somewhere else. Then i consider coming back and i do, because i have yet to find another crazy place like this and i have been looking extensively.

10 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

There have been 20-30 similar threads past month so i'd say yes.

Hey, that's my job to bang on about this- get your own niche niggle like 'Red Bull Boy' . Oh hang on, I've got that one as well.  ????

38 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

no different to selling a house out in the sticks in the west. Same same your village . Now if you had a house in asoke bangkok a developer will come knocking .. or chinese or wealthy thais etc   same as the west no different. Strange how farang "splurge " 2 million baht in nahkon nowhere and then cry when they cant sell

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Would like to add one more, IMO the real reason. Most, if not all, of the people posting threads in this vein lately seem to be American.

8/ I am leaving because I could never comply with the requirements for a visa extension and now TI won't let me go to my embassy every year and lie through my teeth about my income. I'm stuffed.

10 hours ago, e2x10 said:

Anyone on the cusp of leaving "Land of Smiles" ?

I for one am on the edge and considering a move back to the US.

Anyone Else?

Any reason in particular, or the usual?

Bored? Broke? Bamboozled? Bitch? Bisa? Boracho?

49 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Chinese are plowing money into the Thai housing market as never before.  The used housing market is fine. 

Google, "used housing market in Thailand"

Alternatively, one can look at the below website for the thousands, yes, thousands, of properties that have been on the market here for years, yes, years, that aren't selling, and that's just one online website.

https://www.siamrealestate.com/

50 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Answer is NO to points 1 through to 7.

I'm leaving for easier living in a country nearby.  The new visa rules were probably just the push I needed.  

Thailand's not what it used to be. 

28 minutes ago, madmen said:

no different to selling a house out in the sticks in the west. Same same your village . Now if you had a house in asoke bangkok a developer will come knocking .. or chinese or wealthy thais etc   same as the west no different. Strange how farang "splurge " 2 million baht in nahkon nowhere and then cry when they cant sell

Yes, just where an expat aspires to live in their retirement, Bangkok, and to have a property that appreciates in value, before they die.  ????

Property is not moving in the main tourists areas, like Phuket and Pattaya, where once, they could be easily sold.  

3 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Oh dear

Not sure this was the response expected by the OP.

Maybe TV should introduce a fiendish algorithm to weed out these endless ‘are you leaving posts’ No I’m not leaving , actually very happy here, and I would miss my dog.

WOOF!

58 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

How about a poll?  Who has been leaving the longest?  Who has been posted the most threads about alternative better destinations than Thailand?

Or, we could have another poll. 

Who criticizes those that have decided to leave because they are jealous that they can?

Or, who has too much skin in the game here and has to criticize those leaving to make them feel like they have made the right decision ploughing all their money into Thailand?  

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Or, we could have another poll. 

Who criticizes those that have decided to leave because they are jealous that they can?

Or, who has too much skin in the game here and has to criticize those leaving to make them feel like they have made the right decision ploughing all their money into Thailand?  

Or who of you can't meet the new visa requirements (and never could).

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Alternatively, one can look at the below website for the thousands, yes, thousands, of properties that have been on the market here for years, yes, years, that aren't selling, and that's just one online website.

https://www.siamrealestate.com/

So?  There are always properties for sale and ones that sell and don't sell. 

In 4Q 2018, the average take-up rate of newly launched condominium units in Bangkok was approximately 56%, while more than 45,000 units are waiting to be absorbed by the market. Approximately 591,744 condominium units are completed and registered in Bangkok.

In 4Q 2018, nearly 20,881 units were launched, which marks the highest influx of units during the past few years. The average selling price of condominium units launched in 2018 was increased from the previous year at approximately 8.2%.

https://www.colliers.com/en-th/thailand/insights/quarterly-reports

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Answer is NO to points 1 through to 7.

I'm leaving for easier living in a country nearby.  The new visa rules were probably just the push I needed.  

Thailand's not what it used to be. 

There is no easier living country nearby for a retired expat.  Thailand is much more than it used to be.  Much better than when moved here 20 years ago.  Living is much better now.  Infrastructure, health care, restaurants are all better.

11 hours ago, e2x10 said:

Anyone on the cusp of leaving "Land of Smiles" ?

I for one am on the edge and considering a move back to the US.

Anyone Else?

Yeah! Im outtahere in about three weeks. No more getting ripped off by taxi drivers, food poisoning, shattered dreams, red stamps in passports, piss tests, snakes, sick buffalos, bibs with brown envelopes, broken sidewalks, pollution, garbage, slime, filth, corruption, frogs, boils, coyotes, barfines, packed trains, traffic jams, Chinese tourist spit, wheeled suitcases, Big Jokes, little Jokes, Soi Arab, yabaa, the clap and too many bakeries!

Come on! Who's with us! Lets gooooooooooooo.

40 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There is no easier living country nearby for a retired expat.  Thailand is much more than it used to be.  Much better than when moved here 20 years ago.  Living is much better now.  Infrastructure, health care, restaurants are all better.

Vietnam offers easier living.  It offers all the freedoms for foreigners that Thailand used to. 

Thailand has been shooting itself in the foot for years.  The old "they are killing the golden goose" posts come to mind.  Well, Thailand has finally cooked the goose.  The best they can do here now are Chinese, Russians and Indians.

Haven't had a democratically elected government here in years, and the leader of the coup is setting himself up so he can't lose the nest election, <removed>

What a bright future Thailand has.   ????

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah! Im outtahere in about three weeks. No more getting ripped off by taxi drivers, food poisoning, shattered dreams, red stamps in passports, piss tests, snakes, sick buffalos, bibs with brown envelopes, broken sidewalks, pollution, garbage, slime, filth, corruption, frogs, boils, coyotes, barfines, packed trains, traffic jams, Chinese tourist spit, wheeled suitcases, Big Jokes, little Jokes, Soi Arab, yabaa, the clap and too many bakeries!

forgot splayed toes and broken pringles ?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

7/ definitely sold it for me.

12 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Ohhhh, but the health care is better here, so you shouldn't leave.   ????

Archived