Leaving Thailand...

e2x10

17 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Same in Cambodia.

Only thing not allowed is Durien !!
IMG_1411.JPG

Well that sign takes care of my love life, guess Ill go to sleep.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Would like to add one more, IMO the real reason. Most, if not all, of the people posting threads in this vein lately seem to be American.

8/ I am leaving because I could never comply with the requirements for a visa extension and now TI won't let me go to my embassy every year and lie through my teeth about my income. I'm stuffed.

Interesting observation about it being a lot of Americans. The rest is trollish nonsense. I am an American and moved back simply because you can find anything you want in America. So it is understandable that given the options America ranks highly as a place to live. If you are from northern Norway you may have more incentive to stay in Thailand.

Just now, Cryingdick said:

I am an American and moved back simply because you can find anything you want in America. So it is understandable that given the options America ranks highly as a place to live. If you are from northern Norway you may have more incentive to stay in Thailand.

I agree, if I were American I would be living there.

As a Brit, no way in the UK.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You convinced me! Im making a reservation ????

The worst thing about the USA is that I have spent all my life there, and the weather sucks in most of the US during the winter.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I am married to a Brit and we could have gone to the UK. The main barrier for going there is the price of houses and land. We could probably have gotten a mortgage to buy a new iPhone at Uk prices. Electronics and almost any consumer goods are expensive because of tax, however that's a pin prick financially.

If you want some raw acreage in the country to build on it's simply impossible so high housing prices coupled with crazy planning permission is the deal breaker. Other than that I like the UK and the weather isn't as bad as you Brits make it out to be.

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

You convinced me! Im making a reservation ????

The worst thing about the USA is that I have spent all my life there, and the weather sucks in most of the US during the winter.

If it is just the weather that influences your decision go to Hawaii. IMO it has the best weather of anywhere in the world. 

29 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Interesting observation about it being a lot of Americans. The rest is trollish nonsense. I am an American and moved back simply because you can find anything you want in America. So it is understandable that given the options America ranks highly as a place to live. If you are from northern Norway you may have more incentive to stay in Thailand.

I moved back after 10 years.

No complaints. 

Weather nice, lots of Thai restaurants and Thai people.

Wife has a whole lot full of Thai fruit trees.

Feels like the version of what Thailand could be if they could ever get away from corruption and fix the country.

8 hours ago, Ulic said:

If you have to leave you have to leave but remember things back home may not be as great as you remember. Take the 90-day cure. Go home and see if things are as good as you think you remember. Now if choosing another (not home) destination go there for 90 days to really check things out. Everyplace has strengths and weaknesses, no place is perfect except in your imagination.  

And be aware of reverse culture shock, it does happen and it can be severe and upsetting along with a strong desire to be back in the cultural scenario you just departed, the daily visuals around you, the typical daily grind, the typical behaviors of the locals, the food, and of course the often unexpected total cost of living. 

6 hours ago, randy723 said:

I love everything about Thailand except the driving. 90 % of the Thai people do not know how to drive and do not respect other people on the road. 

Does that mean you're on the cusp, or just an excuse to moan about local drivers?

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

If it is just the weather that influences your decision go to Hawaii. IMO it has the best weather of anywhere in the world. 

Where did I say it's just the weather.

?

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

And be aware of reverse culture shock, it does happen and it can be severe and upsetting along with a strong desire to be back in the cultural scenario you just departed, the daily visuals around you, the typical daily grind, the typical behaviors of the locals, the food, and of course the often unexpected total cost of living. 

I'll probably burn myself when hot water comes out of the kitchen sink. Or get hit by a car because of no whistle.

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's no secret that the Thai's have been using farang to buy overpriced condos in the tourist areas, so Thai's will have a cheap domestic holiday destination in the future.  

The music has stopped in Thailand, and for those in the game, the race is on to look for a chair.

Farang all left Thailand years ago.  You must mean Chinese, Indians and ME people  buying condo's. 

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

I moved back after 10 years.

No complaints. 

Weather nice, lots of Thai restaurants and Thai people.

Wife has a whole lot full of Thai fruit trees.

Feels like the version of what Thailand could be if they could ever get away from corruption and fix the country.

You must mean previous administrations like maybe Teddy Roosevelt. 

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

What?..... did they stop checking for pulses at Chiang Mai Immigration then?

Did you know that that CM is the largest market for adult diapers in Thailand?

Don't know about the diapers, AFAIK I still have a pulse. All the 7/11's seem to be overstocked with condoms. Lots of old farts ( me included ) walking around with smug smiles on our faces.

You have been in the HiSo environment of Bangkok too long.

9 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I have lived in some nice places in america.   And even though most things are expensive one can live fairly economically if they are so inclined.   But unlike northern Norway or other countries that have free or affordable health care...... the US will bleed you dry in a heartbeat.   The big misconception is that medicare will solve their health concerns .   If you research how much one still has to pay even though they are "covered" by medicare you will see that you still need to pay a LOT ,  or have secondary insurance along with medicare.   don't believe me ask Sheryl.      second dealbreaker is if one wants to own their own house or property.  Not that expensive in out of the way places.....but don't forget PROPERTY TAX.  My tax here on 6 rai is 183 baht a year.  

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

When a Brit goes on about the UK, they are usually talking about the Gawd-forsaken part of the UK they hail from, but want to drag everywhere else into their misery.

Everyone's annoyed with the topic,  but still managed to squeeze 8 pages out of it.

I'm thinking about starting the same topic and adding a paragraph for a more stimulating discussion.

43 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

When a Brit goes on about the UK, they are usually talking about the Gawd-forsaken part of the UK they hail from, but want to drag everywhere else into their misery.

I was under the impression there is no part of the UK that is not Gawd-forsaken.

I guess we are all here for a reason, if your reason is not really solid enough perhaps you better go back while you can. I wouldn’t be here if I could afford living in California without too much stress. Many of us can not afford going back or it is not easy for us to start over again in the US. If you are young, you have more chance for rejoining the “Matrix”. 

One more thing: 

I will miss a lot Thai girls if I go back. 

Good luck 

have fun as much as you can

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Farang all left Thailand years ago.  You must mean Chinese, Indians and ME people  buying condo's. 

Yeah, I can really see Mr. Wong, Mr. Sergei, and Mr. Deepak, and Mr. Muhammad retiring in Thailand in the future, as westerners used to.  ????

On 8 March 2019 at 9:10 PM, Leaver said:

It's no secret that the Thai's have been using farang to buy overpriced condos in the tourist areas, so Thai's will have a cheap domestic holiday destination in the future.  

The music has stopped in Thailand, and for those in the game, the race is on to look for a chair.

no secret that the Thai's have been using stupid farang to buy overpriced condos in the tourist areas, so Thai's will have a cheap.

fixed it for you

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yeah, I can really see Mr. Wong, Mr. Sergei, and Mr. Deepak, and Mr. Muhammad retiring in Thailand in the future, as westerners used to.  ????

And why not?

If they can meet the country's requirements no problem. 

I realise this concept may not sit well with self entitled ideals of the a Great White Broke members of this forum.

For the rest of us life will go on (crazily I admit at times) normally.

You and your predecessors and successors will not be missed financially, culturally ( you never fitted in) or socially.

Archived