Leaving Thailand...

e2x10

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/8/2019 at 12:23 PM, Lacessit said:

Perhaps the leavers should first answer a questionnaire before they can post, such as:

1/ I am leaving because I am skint.

2/ I am leaving because I can't stand queueing at Immigration for hours or days anymore.

3/ I am leaving because my stomach can't handle Thai food, which is all I can afford.

4/ I am leaving because I can't cope with Thai road rules. ( Oxymoron, sorry )

5/ I am leaving because I got thumped in a karaoke by 5 Thais when I refused to pay up.

6/ I am leaving because my honours degree was no match for a Thai woman with a third grade education.

7/ I am leaving because Filipina women have bigger tits.

????????????????

20 hours ago, rumak said:

I have lived in some nice places in america.   And even though most things are expensive one can live fairly economically if they are so inclined.   But unlike northern Norway or other countries that have free or affordable health care...... the US will bleed you dry in a heartbeat.   The big misconception is that medicare will solve their health concerns .   If you research how much one still has to pay even though they are "covered" by medicare you will see that you still need to pay a LOT ,  or have secondary insurance along with medicare.   don't believe me ask Sheryl.      second dealbreaker is if one wants to own their own house or property.  Not that expensive in out of the way places.....but don't forget PROPERTY TAX.  My tax here on 6 rai is 183 baht a year.  

I am aware of the price of healthcare. I am also aware that people in some countries can't leave them for more than 6 months a year or they will lose their benefits. My friend from Denmark used to live in Asia part time because of this. It seems freedom isn't free. I pay for my own healthcare and have private insurance it really is only a big deal if you basically made a lot of wrong choices in life.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, Nyezhov said:

Damn dude Im sorry, I am just so worked up about things I tend to start spitting and forget things....

But you are kind...I know you really wanted to point out "her" but were afraid to do so...

OK then...Ill come clean...its my heart, an affaire de couer.....

When I met her she was so cute, even with the yaaba habit and the Enter here tattoo on her butt. It was amazing, despite the almost 50 years difference in our ages, we bonded immediately. She had only been in the Bar three days and I was her first customer.......

????????????????????

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I am aware of the price of healthcare. I am also aware that people in some countries can't leave them for more than 6 months a year or they will lose their benefits. My friend from Denmark used to live in Asia part time because of this. It seems freedom isn't free. I pay for my own healthcare and have private insurance it really is only a big deal if you basically made a lot of wrong choices in life.

"freedom's just another word for nothin left to lose"........Janis

I came to Thailand long time ago to get away from all the rules, rules, rules.  Also the PC trend which has gotten to the point of an epidemic and now farangs are bringing it here along with their entitlement. So coming here i do not view as one of my wrong choices.   But still, life throws things at most people that are not expected (interest rates for deposits from 8% or so down to 1% nowadays)..... or health care that in the West which can only be described as exorbitant.   I doubt the average guy , even if he has saved quite a bit,

feels all that comfortable in old age.  The noose is tightening everywhere.  Good that you can afford private insurance.  I hope they pay when the time comes  ????   But I choose to take my chances paying far less in Thailand than I would in US.  Far less.   As far as wrong choices:  I think just one or two can suffice to screw things up in many cases. 

I don't understand the nanny state "rules" thing. Thailand is becoming so much worse. Can't work, strange beer laws, increasingly harsher smoking laws, many places in the USA have legal weed recreationally not just medical. Freedom of speech, freedom of expression online, no ridiculous defamation laws, gay marriage, woman's right to choose, easy pathways to becoming a citizen or PR. I am not seeing the whole freedom thing in a military dictatorship. 

Of course this is from the American perspective. Depending on where you are from YMMV. The only disadvantage to the USA is if you are unwilling to work or on a limited fixed income or both. It is so easy to establish a side hustle to supplement yourself here that loss of opportunity is a huge problem with remaining in Thailand. If the price is a problem for living here this is also highly indicative of poor choices in life.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:17 PM, marcusarelus said:

How many years have you been unhappy in Thailand? 

Ive been here about 20 years.  But some of that time was spent overseas until 2012.  I still love the place and people and may be sugar coating home but my wife (who is thai but has spent significant time overseas) also thinks alot about going to my country for kids education etc..

On 3/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, madmen said:

can you expand on whats getting ..very expensive?

Sure of course

Private Education for kids is outrageously high.  A very average - below average private school in Bkk costs about 35K australian all in per year.  In Australia I can send my kid to Melbourne or Geelong Grammer for 25K.  Thai health insurance is useless for anything serious - in Australia kids get health insurance free.  Vegetables in the supermarkets are laced with pesticides (see independent reviews online).   In Australia food is much cheaper in the supermarkets and much higher quality.  With the THB rising against most foreign currencies the situation worsens.  The otehr day we were looking at houses in the gold coast.  We can get a mansion for the same price as a small house in Phuket.  In Australia we have clean air, privacy rights, rule of law.  I wont find out my land belongs to the local Big man 3 years after puchase.

But dont take my word for it - search online for the rising costs of living in thailand - good start here.:  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30347587

3 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Sure of course

Private Education for kids is outrageously high.  A very average - below average private school in Bkk costs about 35K australian all in per year.  In Australia I can send my kid to Melbourne or Geelong Grammer for 25K.  Thai health insurance is useless for anything serious - in Australia kids get health insurance free.  Vegetables in the supermarkets are laced with pesticides (see independent reviews online).   In Australia food is much cheaper in the supermarkets and much higher quality.  With the THB rising against most foreign currencies the situation worsens.  The otehr day we were looking at houses in the gold coast.  We can get a mansion for the same price as a small house in Phuket.  In Australia we have clean air, privacy rights, rule of law.  I wont find out my land belongs to the local Big man 3 years after puchase.

But dont take my word for it - search online for the rising costs of living in thailand - good start here.:  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30347587

You have mentioned nothing that is getting more expensive.  You have compared Thailand to Australia and those comparisons would have been as valid 3 years ago as today.  The other poster asked what is getting more expensive recently.  The answer is nothing.

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You have mentioned nothing that is getting more expensive.  You have compared Thailand to Australia and those comparisons would have been as valid 3 years ago as today.  The other poster asked what is getting more expensive recently.  The answer is nothing.

I find generally prices have increased in the last two years or so.

Roadside stalls etc where you could once eat pretty much anything for around 25-30 baht are 40 baht and up. Bottles water has risen rapidly in the last few months from 46 baht to 52 baht per case. The weekly general shop at Makro which was around 1600 baht is now always above 2000, thats based on regular "general" staple items not specific categories.

On 3/8/2019 at 4:46 PM, peterb17 said:

Maybe TV should introduce a fiendish algorithm to weed out these endless ‘are you leaving posts’ No I’m not leaving , actually very happy here, and I would miss my dog.

A different approach might be for you to simply ignore them.       ????

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It was on his Album 'Kristofferson' in 1970

Janis Joplin released it in 1971 after she was dead.

well, i doubt SHE released it after she was dead.... but i get your point   55

did you know Kris ?  I could swear he might just have been inspired by you when he wrote 

"He's a pilgrim and a preacher, and a problem when he's stoned 
He's a walkin' contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction

ah, those were the days.   good knowledge of US music, being a brit and all 

Lately all I've been listening to is the Animals:

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

well, i doubt SHE released it after she was dead.... but i get your point   55

did you know Kris ?  I could swear he might just have been inspired by you when he wrote 

"He's a pilgrim and a preacher, and a problem when he's stoned 
He's a walkin' contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction

I bought his first album, then stopped when he became a bit too Christian with "Jesus was a Capricorn".

Kristofferson was an amazing album, I still listen to it.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I bought his first album, then stopped when he became a bit too Christian with "Jesus was a Capricorn".

Kristofferson was an amazing album, I still listen to it.

Even Dylan got bit by the religious bug........Jeeeeezuz,  only time i was looking for god was when the damn plane almost dropped out of the sky going into Nepal.   Soon as it landed safely I quickly reverted to my previous beliefs....singin  "don't think twice, its alright"

14 hours ago, emptypockets said:

And why not?

If they can meet the country's requirements no problem. 

I realise this concept may not sit well with self entitled ideals of the a Great White Broke members of this forum.

For the rest of us life will go on (crazily I admit at times) normally.

You and your predecessors and successors will not be missed financially, culturally ( you never fitted in) or socially.

Great = no.

White = yes.

Broke = no.

I couldn't care less if Thailand misses me financially, or not.  I'm in Thailand for my benefit, not the other way around. 

As for culturally, you are farang, just as I am, and you have no more rights here than me.  Name some things you can do on a retirement visa, that a tourist on a tourist visa can't do?

As far as socially, I socialize with Thai's and foreigners, in Thai and western establishments.  So what?  Does that make me any better than an expat that would rather socialize with his fellow countrymen?  

I gather you are not so well traveled.  Probably never been anywhere too far away from Thailand.  I realize this concept may not sit well with you, but other nearby countries are now offering a better lifestyle for expats, with less bureaucracy, more freedom, and more purchasing power.  

4 hours ago, rumak said:

my apologies to the OP for injecting some  old folk music  .   almost makes me miss the good ole US of A.

almost  ????

Just listened to 'Kristofferson', then moved on to his wife and listened to 'Delta Lady'.

Brought back memories of being a teenager, and being at University.

9 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Sure of course

Sorry, I have to call you out on BULLS**T:

Median Gold Coast house price is $655,000 AUD:

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/what-the-median-house-price-gets-you-on-the-gold-coast/

That equates to over 14.6 MILLION baht which will buy almost any of the properties for sale in Phuket with a few very high end exceptions.

And of course if you own a property in Thailand you don't have to pay annual property rates to the local council.

On your median priced house on the Goldie you would be up for around $6,500 each year for rates our about 100K THB.  And then of course there are you water and electricity bills in Australia.  Unlike Thailand they arrive every 3 months.  If you have a couple of kids your electricity bill with run you about 900 AUD per quarter and water rates in Oz are now more expensive than electricity.  So let's do some thumb nail calcs for your affordable Gold Coast dream home:

Land rates per year:  $6,500

Electricity per year:   $3,200

Water per year:         $3,000

Total:                       $12,700

So just the tax and utilities for your Aussie home will run you about 284,000 THB per annum.

Oh.  And lets not forget that Australia is current in the midst of it largest house price correction in modern history.  Nationwide prices are already off some 10% and are predicted to fall another 40%.

So in addition to the obscene holding costs for Australian property you also risk losing 40-50% of your equity.

18 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

So just the tax and utilities for your Aussie home will run you about 284,000 THB per annum.

Mortgage repayments, electric, water, moobaan fees and internet on my 3 bed house in CM are under 14k/month = 168Kbht/year.

Australia is EXPENSIVE!

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Australia is EXPENSIVE!

You bet your ars* it is.

But it is also just entering a show stopping house price crash.

Median house price had topped out at over 10x median income.  That is 7x higher than the long term ratio.  

There is also about 160 Billion dollars worth of interest only loans about to tick over to interest and principle payments because of some newly introduced financial regulations.  Google Australian Banking Royal Commission.

This crash is going to epic.  And will make the 2009 crash in the states look like a cake walk.

Grab your popcorn and remember I told you so...

Archived