palliative care / document to express wish how to end life

fvw53

I have seen recently that in Thailand it is possible to write down how to be treated if terminally ill. One can express the wish that no needless extension of life should be done. Is there a standard form for this (if so where can it be downloaded)

Note however that most hospitals have their own forms that they want you to use.

I suggest doing both: make an overall Advance directive, notarized, and also ask for and complete the form of any hospital you regularly use or anticipate using

Make sure whoever would act on your behalf when the time comes knows your wishes and is on board. Frankly the wishes expressed by relatives carries much more weight than whatever you have indicated in a living will, this is true even in the West where "living wills" are well known. The reason is simple: live people may sue or otherwise make trouble, dead people do not.

21 minutes ago, wgdanson said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Yes there is and they are quite legal here. visit the following link to download one.

https://www.thaicontracts.com/last-will-and-testament/29-living-will.html

21 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

To BUY one, Bht 700.

There are fee ones available for download, but this is the only one I know of that is in Thai and English.

You pays your money, you takes your choices.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes there is and they are quite legal here. visit the following link to download one.

https://www.thaicontracts.com/last-will-and-testament/29-living-will.html

I just opened the link and got this response.

Living Will (Th-En)

Living Will (Th-En)download-message-2.jpg 

This template declaration (Th-En) of a living will is made pursuant to section 12 of the Health Care Act (2007). The directive in which a person gives instructions for treatment and refusal of treatment for the event he is no longer able to make decisions for himself because of illness or incapacity.

20 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Living Will (Th-En)

This template declaration (Th-En) of a living will is made pursuant to section 12 of the Health Care Act (2007). The directive in which a person gives instructions for treatment and refusal of treatment for the event he is no longer able to make decisions for himself because of illness or incapacity.

17 minutes ago, KarlS said:

Mmm  That link produces this -- download-message-2.jpg

Try pressing the 'order it' button folks.

Cor blimey, talk about sucking eggs!

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Living Will (Th-En)

"refusal of treatment for the event he is no longer able to make decisions for himself"

Although not a female does this text intimate that females do not have the right to make such a decision?

I made out my own Right To Die ( DNR ) document many years ago following discussions with family members and close friends.

Due to multiple TIA's and strokes I always carry a copy of the DNR and drug allergies with me when I go out, as well as my local hospital card and the name / number of who to contact, even if it is for a short run in the park.

I have a copy clearly visible in my lounge.

Along with this document is a list of people to contact, major illnesses and a complete list of any and all allergies ( e.g. antibiotics etc. and that I am a vegan ).  

My local hospital has a copy as well as my main hospital in Khon Kaen.

The documents take up little space and easily fit in a back pocket.

- however -

when admitted to my local hospital following more than 2 days on the floor after a stroke the hospital did intervene with appropriate medication to stabilise my condition.  Once I became fully conscious they asked if it was still my request regarding other treatment and I had to sign another 2 forms.    The point here is that they had given me medication that did keep me from dying due to massive muscle loss throughout the body and kidney failure so, does this breach my request ?    I would say no as no CPR or other similar treatment was given.

On transfer to KK I was asked to reconfirm my DNR request but did not have to sign any documents.

My recovery from "various forms" of treatment was rapid and despite the hospitals insistence that I needed dialysis I declined and left hospital after two weeks.

My main query remains is what happens if paramedics attend, one is not able to express ones wishes and no one you know finds you and makes the emergency call ?    Perhaps someone can clarify this ?

Just now, Speedo1968 said:

My main query remains is what happens if paramedics attend, one is not able to express ones wishes and no one you know finds you and makes the emergency call ?    Perhaps someone can clarify this ?

obviously if you are found by people unaware of your Living Will they will apply full life support.

If you look at "Lesson 4" on this page:  http://www.lannacarenet.org/lessons-learned-at-the-end-of-life/

you'll find links to an Advance Directive that has been used many times in Chiang Mai.  While some of the hospitals have their own form, interestingly, they don't routinely make them available to younger, healthy people.  Yet, anyone can have a sudden and severe accident where it would be necessary to have an Advance Directive in place. 

Archived