Foreigners targeted at Najomtien immigration checkpoint

Rimmer

Foreigners targeted at Najomtien immigration checkpoint

image.png

Immigration police stopped cars and motorbikes in Najomtien, checking licenses, passports and visas of all foreigners.

Nine police officers, 3 immigration agents and a police volunteer manned a checkpoint set up outside the Ambassador City Hotel on Sukhumvit Road Feb. 28.

No results of the checks were provided.

Immigration officials said the operation was to check that foreigners driving vehicles had proper licenses. They also checked passports and visas for any foreigners found in cars or on motorbikes.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-08-03--

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, champers said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of police activity directed against Russians lately? Who will be next?

Bet the two in the picture are from a different culture.

36 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

It racist not to stop all 

thai people driving more bad and meny with no licence or fake license and always no helmet and high speed 

I rarely wear my helmet when behind the wheel.

Hopefully our bearded brothers passed the checkpoint unscathed.

I was one of those stopped on Thursday near Ambassador City Hotel. . Showed driving licence checked my insurance stickers but no passport. Asked about my Isaan car registration, we had a chat in Thai and he was super friendly and beaming. 

2 minutes ago, 300sd said:

That unwanted feeling keeps getting stronger!

Pure harassment= targeting foreigners while  locals  speed by; drive on the wrong side of the street etc.  Nine cops and 3 Immigration- to what end.  What a complete waste of manpower. It's no wonder  foreigners are contemplating leaving in hordes.

I wish we had this kind of excitement here in sleepy old Hua Hin. All we have is young married Farang couples walking with their baby strollers and married people who look like they just came out of a Centrum Silver commercial, except they are fat.

11 minutes ago, 300sd said:

That unwanted feeling keeps getting stronger!

Why? They're doing their job.

Do you expect the various authorities in your country to check that foreigners in your country have valid visas, etc., etc?

Or are you quite OK for any persons including those with criminal records, known mafia members, child molesters and more to freely enter and live in your country without any checks?

In a 38kms drive from Jomtien to past Sattahip had three full road blocks.... Coupled with numerous  near misses made for a stressful journey.....rarely venture further than a few hundred yards from home anymore,  just not worth it.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Why? They're doing their job.

Do you expect the various authorities in your country to check that foreigners in your country have valid visas, etc., etc?

Or are you quite OK for any persons including those with criminal records, known mafia members, child molesters and more to freely enter and live in your country without any checks?

I don't think people mind having to have a valid visa,  it's the constant checking in,  90 days,  TM whatever they are and all the other beaurocracy just to stay legal.... Seriously under Castro it wasn't half this bad. 

1 hour ago, Henrik Andersen said:

It racist not to stop all 

thai people driving more bad and meny with no licence or fake license and always no helmet and high speed 

Somewhat pointless stopping a Thai if they are checking passports and visa's

20 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I don't think people mind having to have a valid visa,  it's the constant checking in,  90 days,  TM whatever they are and all the other beaurocracy just to stay legal.... Seriously under Castro it wasn't half this bad. 

Well given the huge numbers caught on overstay, no visa, etc., etc., in the last few months is it not surprising there's a big drive to get on top of this item?

No secret there , left hand is calling tourists to come over , right hand hunts them down.

before it was all easy , now they went to other extreme , make it all hard .

once they achieve their objective as they did with khaosan road they will start to brain storm on how to bring people back .

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well given the huge numbers caught on overstay, no visa, etc., etc., in the last few months is it not surprising there's a big drive to get on top of this item?

Considering 30 million visitors, 1000 or even 3000 or even 10000 makes it less than 1%

hardly a reason to go throw a hissy fit or start a hunting season. 

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I don't like the look of these two Farangs that are being stopped. Can I join the tourist police so I can beat them up?

Yes please come and join us,in Hua-hin the tpv do this all the time!!Great fun!!and all legal of course!!

30 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So they should, however this stretch of road will be legal tourists on their way from Pattaya to Nong  Nooch, Silver Lake and the Navy beaches. This is where there was three road blocks in 38kms on Tuesday....thats a bit much in anyone's books. If they want the overstayers etc,  it's the restaurants, suit shops, schools in the boonies etc for illegals 

2 hours ago, Kim J said:

Does this mean they are actually checking that you are carrying your passport around?

I am fully aware this has always been a requirement in Thailand, but have never heard of random check before.

Since when are foreigners required to carry their passport?  

3 hours ago, Kim J said:

Does this mean they are actually checking that you are carrying your passport around?

I am fully aware this has always been a requirement in Thailand, but have never heard of random check before.

never been asked in all the time i have been here and I suppose many others have never been asked for passport.....

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Pure harassment= targeting foreigners while  locals  speed by; drive on the wrong side of the street etc.  Nine cops and 3 Immigration- to what end.  What a complete waste of manpower. It's no wonder  foreigners are contemplating leaving in hordes.

You certainly do not understand the police directives here.

4 minutes ago, essox essox said:

never been asked in all the time i have been here and I suppose many others have never been asked for passport.....

I was caught up in a raid on walking street and detained for not having original passport with me. 

So just because you have not been caught in a raid or asked does not mean it does not happen and does not happen in mostly unexpected places 

Archived