BANGKOK
Rimmer

Foreigners targeted at Najomtien immigration checkpoint

On 3/8/2019 at 8:19 PM, BestB said:

Traffic road blocks is one thing, immigration hunts is what i do not agree with.

With traffic stop shake downs, to be honest i do not have a problem at all.

In all honesty and fairness, how many times per day do you break traffic rules one way or another?

I know i do a dozen times per day, ranging from illegal uturns, to illegal parking, speeding and few other things.

If and when i get pulled over and shaken down for 500-1000 baht, i do not mind paying at all even more so when i was caught doing something illegal.

Back in the West, you park 2 cm more than allowed away from the curb and you get a huge fine, you park too close to the corner and you get a fine, you park 1 min later than the meter and you get a fine, you speed and camera gets you, you run yellow light and you pay the fine.

So, its really not a bad deal to be able to get away with most traffic infringements but get caught on occasion 🙂

I dont mind either for the aboved mentioned...but I do mind getting fined for not being thai and not for breaking the driving laws. 

6 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I had the nightmare of a lifetime a few months back when stopped on Sukhumvit w/o helmet on (I know, stupid) and the bribe/charges went from a few hundred baht to thousands in seconds, and on to tens of thousands when taken to the police station on beach road with threats of moving me "upstairs" to the cells, and it seems nobody, not even the foreign volunteers were willing to help out in the slightest, and finally I paid in disgust and left, and contemplated this miserable police force over some wonderfully cool beers just down the road, and then went to God knows where to recover my (rented) bike and promised myself to NEVER ride without a helmet in Pattaya again.

Please don't find yourself in my position.  Wear the dam thing.

Now would you like to tell us the rest of the story. :coffee1:

11 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

You must have seriously wound them up.

Usually just pay the fine, 400 baht maybe, and go pick up the bike. 

On 3/14/2019 at 9:24 PM, Huckenfell said:

I get asked for my DL on an average once per year and don't mind although i am not happy when being stopped for my DL and 4 kids on a m/c go zooming past completely ignored.

Why? TIT.

If the cops in the UK had done this I might have stayed there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2019 at 4:41 PM, Thaidream said:

Pure harassment= targeting foreigners while  locals  speed by; drive on the wrong side of the street etc.  Nine cops and 3 Immigration- to what end.  What a complete waste of manpower. It's no wonder  foreigners are contemplating leaving in hordes.

On most road blocks that I come across, it's the Thais that are being stopped. The only foreigners I see stopped are those not wearing a helmet if on a motorbike. I don't see anything racist about it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I had the nightmare of a lifetime a few months back when stopped on Sukhumvit w/o helmet on (I know, stupid) and the bribe/charges went from a few hundred baht to thousands in seconds, and on to tens of thousands when taken to the police station on beach road with threats of moving me "upstairs" to the cells, and it seems nobody, not even the foreign volunteers were willing to help out in the slightest, and finally I paid in disgust and left, and contemplated this miserable police force over some wonderfully cool beers just down the road, and then went to God knows where to recover my (rented) bike and promised myself to NEVER ride without a helmet in Pattaya again.

so it worked then? sounds like effective law enforcement. 

Edited by Pilotman

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, 300sd said:

That unwanted feeling keeps getting stronger!

Actually, the lunatic foreign youths that have never ridden a m'bike before, but think they can in LOS need stopping before they can injure themselves, as they seem to do a lot. If random checks for licences does prevent tourists riding m'bikes, when they don't know how, don't have a licence, and can't get travel insurance because they don't have a licence, it will be a good thing.

Unfortunately, it's more likely a money making exercise, and they will be allowed to carry on regardless, albeit less a few baht.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:46 AM, CanadaSam said:

You seem to be saying to wear a helmet not to get a fine, rather than because they can save lives.

Speaking as one that never rode without one, that seems rather a strange attitude. My helmet did actually save my life when someone drove into my scooter and I went flying.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 6:26 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You seem to be saying to wear a helmet not to get a fine, rather than because they can save lives.

Strange attitude indeed. He was probably riding around with a cheap Big C plastic helmet, won't help much anyway. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, balo said:

Strange attitude indeed. He was probably riding around with a cheap Big C plastic helmet, won't help much anyway. 

It will help substantially in fine avoidance!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2019 at 3:42 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

It racist not to stop all 

thai people driving more bad and meny with no licence or fake license and always no helmet and high speed 

Hilarious to complain about "racism" in Thailand. It's part of the culture. Xenophobia and "fear of the other" has always been entrenched here. Nothing you say or do will change that.

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2019 at 4:18 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

I was stopped twice in the last couple of weeks. They accepted my passport copies showing front page, visa and entry stamp along with my thai driving license.

I have pictures on my mobile phone of my passport photo-page, visa page and TM30. I haven't been checked yet, but hope they will accept it. Have any forum members out there shown immigration checkpoints cellphone pictures of your passport?

Edited by Uptooyoo

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2019 at 9:27 PM, Pilotman said:

On most road blocks that I come across, it's the Thais that are being stopped. The only foreigners I see stopped are those not wearing a helmet if on a motorbike. I don't see anything racist about it.  

Yes, Thais are stopped too, but there is dual-pricing when fines are levied for riding helmetless. In my area it's 1000 baht for foreigners, 200 baht for Thais. Of course no receipt is given.....

Edited by Uptooyoo
  • Confused 1