BANGKOK 19 March 2019 02:22
Rimmer

Foreigners targeted at Najomtien immigration checkpoint

On 3/8/2019 at 6:19 PM, bkk6060 said:

You certainly do not understand the police directives here.

I get asked for my DL on an average once per year and don't mind although i am not happy when being stopped for my DL and 4 kids on a m/c go zooming past completely ignored.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 12:34 PM, Kim J said:

Yes indeed I dare say you are correct, but as I said if tourists complied with the law, that particular gravy train would stop.

It has always been a mystery to me why so many find it acceptable to come to Thailand and drive around without the correct documents. My question to people when I hear them complaining about receiving a fine is always to ask if they do the same in their own countries? Also what would they think if some unqualified driver came from overseas to their own country and killed or injured a member of their family?

The easy way to stop most of it would be to clamp down on the renters, making them ensure licences are held by customers before renting them a vehicle, but as we all know that will never happen.

justanotherhun liking kim j that about sums up the post lol

On 3/11/2019 at 12:49 PM, jacko45k said:

I would be intrigued to know what the offences mostly are. I would guess no helmet and failing to have an IDP. 

Sticking with tourists... they shouldn't be permitted to rent if they do not have a licence, but mostly they get fined because they do not have an IDP. Not long ago Thai police did not ask for an IDP, simply home licences, and shifted the emphasis to IDPs to make more money. You also said, no insurance (vehicle).... that should come with the rented vehicle and is nothing whatsoever to do with the tourist. The vehicle being taxed is also nothing whatsoever to do with the tourist.

I don't think Expats are the major law breakers here, quite a law abiding lot in fear of being chucked out! I wear my helmet, tax and insure my vehicles have an up to date licence. I get the odd ticket for illegal (maybe) left on red or turn, locals can do it, I cannot!

If you sit at any of the traffic lights in the morning on Sukhumvit, before the Police are up and hassling tourists at the Klang/2nd junction, The Dolphin R/B or infront of Soi 9 on Beach Rd, they could catch many without helmet. Then when the lights turn red another 50 still going through them. 

It is more about intimidation and making money off foreigners, which is acceptable in their xenophobic bubble.

this is pattaya blame the corrupt enforcement... i was recently in patong and saw countless renters not allowed to get motorbikes for not having a valid licenses....

Edited by tlandtday

On 3/8/2019 at 3:42 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

It racist not to stop all 

thai people driving more bad and meny with no licence or fake license and always no helmet and high speed 

I thought you might of caught on by now that Thais do not understand what racism is.

On 3/8/2019 at 5:06 PM, NCC1701A said:

who else would you target at a immigration checkpoint?

Cambodians, Burmese, Lao, other Asians, white people, black people... you know, all non Thais. 

Of course you’d then have to then stop everyone to check their ID and you wouldn’t be able to harass the white people.