BANGKOK 19 March 2019 02:37
Rimmer

Foreigners targeted at Najomtien immigration checkpoint

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Pure harassment= targeting foreigners while  locals  speed by; drive on the wrong side of the street etc.  Nine cops and 3 Immigration- to what end.  What a complete waste of manpower. It's no wonder  foreigners are contemplating leaving in hordes.

You certainly do not understand the police directives here.

4 minutes ago, essox essox said:

never been asked in all the time i have been here and I suppose many others have never been asked for passport.....

I was caught up in a raid on walking street and detained for not having original passport with me. 

So just because you have not been caught in a raid or asked does not mean it does not happen and does not happen in mostly unexpected places 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

But should they not perform the checks prior to letting them in ? Instead of hunting down all? 

To my knowledgr in most countries immigration first makes investigations  before raiding premises or business where as here they target anyone who does not look Thai.

which is kind of weird when you supppsedly welcome 30 million tourists and want more .

what do you think would happen if French immigration started detaining people and checking their passports around Eiffel tower? Or Italians around Collosium? Or Australians around Sydney harbour bridge 

Point taken, there surely is a case that the whole process should be more professional, more comprehensive, fast and much more watertight in terms of who does enter the county?

Other countries can do it, so can LOS, and it's obvious a total re-think of the whole subject is urgently needed, and way way less band-aids. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, baansgr said:

So they should, however this stretch of road will be legal tourists on their way from Pattaya to Nong  Nooch, Silver Lake and the Navy beaches. This is where there was three road blocks in 38kms on Tuesday....thats a bit much in anyone's books. If they want the overstayers etc,  it's the restaurants, suit shops, schools in the boonies etc for illegals 

Na Jomtien and particularly Ambassador City is the haunt of Russians. Quite clear which nationality they were targeting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

So they should, however this stretch of road will be legal tourists on their way from Pattaya to Nong  Nooch, Silver Lake and the Navy beaches. This is where there was three road blocks in 38kms on Tuesday....thats a bit much in anyone's books. If they want the overstayers etc,  it's the restaurants, suit shops, schools in the boonies etc for illegals 

You spot on and if they was smart check on beaches in Pattaya too 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kim J said:

But if everything is done correctly, professionally and efficiently as you suggest, that would get rid of the road side shake down opportunities.

Traffic road blocks is one thing, immigration hunts is what i do not agree with.

With traffic stop shake downs, to be honest i do not have a problem at all.

In all honesty and fairness, how many times per day do you break traffic rules one way or another?

I know i do a dozen times per day, ranging from illegal uturns, to illegal parking, speeding and few other things.

If and when i get pulled over and shaken down for 500-1000 baht, i do not mind paying at all even more so when i was caught doing something illegal.

Back in the West, you park 2 cm more than allowed away from the curb and you get a huge fine, you park too close to the corner and you get a fine, you park 1 min later than the meter and you get a fine, you speed and camera gets you, you run yellow light and you pay the fine.

So, its really not a bad deal to be able to get away with most traffic infringements but get caught on occasion 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BestB said:

what do you think would happen if French immigration started detaining people and checking their passports around Eiffel tower? Or Italians around Collosium? Or Australians around Sydney harbour bridge 

Well the Thais dont check passports at Wat Pho, so the better "what if" would be the Dutch checking passports in Amsterdam outside the RLD.

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well the Thais dont check passports at Wat Pho, so the better "what if" would be the Dutch checking passports in Amsterdam outside the RLD.

But they check it everywhere else,even when you are out in the club. So the what if is totally relevant, because other countries with high tourist numbers do not hunt tourists and foreigners en mass, unlike Thai authorities lately

• Like 1

They were not targeted. They just checked their pass and license. Thats quite normal. If you had a country, would you check on the incoming traffic, to make sure all is well or would you let any bum in?

• Haha 1