Foreigners targeted at Najomtien immigration checkpoint

Rimmer

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, champers said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of police activity directed against Russians lately? Who will be next?

Maybe Russians represent a majority of the skirmishes here in pattaya outliving their welcome with their boorish and cheap Charlie behaviors.

Witnessed police check at Central this weekend checking driving licences. Farang only had home country licence not international or Thai. Little French volunteer jumping around saying it’s the law. It’s the law. I asked the Frenchman what’s the law about motorcycle being rented to people without the correct licence. Means the insurance is also invalid. They should also target those that rent out the motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, Kim J said:

Thaivisa.com, a popular portal for expats and travellers, put the question directly to Pol Col Thanasak Vongluekiat, superintendent of the Prachuap Khiri Khan and Phetchaburi Immigration office in Hua Hin.

And a week after this guy flapped his lips didn't we have another well adorned senior guy from Phuket saying it was not necessary, and only any form of ID would suffice. 

Stop everybody by all means, but targeting foreigners?
Why?

As a foreigner here I can honestly say that I am

1) qualified to drive

2) have insurance

3) have a valid THAI driving license

4) do not have to "prove myself" by accelerating when someone else wants to overtake me, and I do not overtake on the brow of a hill or at a bend in the road...

SERIOUSLY - THEY NEED TO STOP AND CHECK POINTS 1-4 ON THE THAI DRIVERS AND BIKE RIDERS.....<deleted>!

20 hours ago, Kim J said:

Does this mean they are actually checking that you are carrying your passport around?

I am fully aware this has always been a requirement in Thailand, but have never heard of random check before.

There is no way I will always carry my passport around, I do not agree with that law so I will not obey it.

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well given the huge numbers caught on overstay, no visa, etc., etc., in the last few months is it not surprising there's a big drive to get on top of this item?

The vast majority of overstayers are not Farang, they are from neighbouring countries.

19 hours ago, Thaidream said:

It's no wonder  foreigners are contemplating leaving in hordes.

Do you actually know of any who have, and because of harassment? Or is it just empty talk? I know of just one, and that was because his house was broken into and they found the keys to his SUV so stole that too, the very same day that the security guard at the estate mysteriously disappeared. The police demanded 100,000 baht to investigate. That kind of grated on him, as it would, and he decided to return to Australia where they have some kind of law enforcement.

14 hours ago, steve187 said:

the difference being white skin people are not native here, whereas in the UK and the USA brown skinned people are native.

"In the UK brown skinned people are native".  In many parts of the UK Brown people are outnumbering the locals.

3 hours ago, dundas said:

My experience too. When driving from Nogales to Tucson there's an Immigration checkpoint where every single vehicle gets looked at. When I've been with a number of other people in the car we've always been pulled over and asked if we're US citizens (I'm not, so then they've asked for my passport). When I've been the driver without any passengers they take one look at me and wave me on. 

Who cares? This is about Jomtien Thailand sir.

20 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

It racist not to stop all 

thai people driving more bad and meny with no licence or fake license and always no helmet and high speed 

Being a racist does not translate into Thai language !

If they want to "target" foreigners they will !

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

This was never a requirement.

There is only a law which says you need to have a form of identitification (same law for foreigners and Thais), but it doesn't say you have to carry it arround with you, or be able to show it on the spot.

Some immigration officers will say yes, and some will say no. In a lot of cases, they will just say what suits them.

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Oh I understand them quite well-  the problem is that the directive  given by the Police Commissioner to stop  setting up checkpoints without prior approval is not being adhered to.

In addition, using the military in law enforcement  is an absurd concept and  not legal.

Setting up an Immigration checkpoint  makes sense if one is looking for violators of the Immigration law but they need to be staffed solely by Immigration Officers.  Regular traffic police are not authorized legally to ask for passports because they have no authority in this area.

If the Immigration Department wants to find over stayers- they might want to open a checkpoint on Walking Street or Soi 6. I doubt they found any violations outside the Ambassador Hotel which is hardly a place an overstay would be found.

A complete waste of manpower and merely a Public Relations act

Are you sure that ordinary policemen do not have the authority to ask for passports?

I doubt this very much.

1 hour ago, paul545 said:

Witnessed police check at Central this weekend checking driving licences. Farang only had home country licence not international or Thai. Little French volunteer jumping around saying it’s the law. It’s the law. I asked the Frenchman what’s the law about motorcycle being rented to people without the correct licence. Means the insurance is also invalid. They should also target those that rent out the motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You mean they should target themselves? Any successful business in tourist areas aimed at Farangs will probably have a police financial interest in it.

I guarantee some of those knocking checks for illegals are the same people who in other threads mock the RTP for not rounding up illegals and spending time on .... (whatever the topic is ..... i.e harrassing legals) ...

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
4 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Oh I understand them quite well-  the problem is that the directive  given by the Police Commissioner to stop  setting up checkpoints without prior approval is not being adhered to.

In addition, using the military in law enforcement  is an absurd concept and  not legal.

Setting up an Immigration checkpoint  makes sense if one is looking for violators of the Immigration law but they need to be staffed solely by Immigration Officers.  Regular traffic police are not authorized legally to ask for passports because they have no authority in this area.

If the Immigration Department wants to find over stayers- they might want to open a checkpoint on Walking Street or Soi 6. I doubt they found any violations outside the Ambassador Hotel which is hardly a place an overstay would be found.

A complete waste of manpower and merely a Public Relations act

Are you sure that ordinary policemen do not have the authority to ask for passports?

I doubt this very much.

A couple of years ago I recall reading an announcement printed in the Nation and this forum made by the Chief of Police.

Only Immigration Police are authorised to investigate your 'Visa Status' - but it is Thai law to carry a Government Issued Photo ID, which for most foreigners is a passport. I'm not sure if your Driving License passes as a Government Issued Photo ID - its a grey area. 

In most cases a Photocopy or Photo of your Passport ID Page, Visa Page & Entry stamp is sufficient. 

Fixed Police Check Points must consist of a Commissioned Officer (Sub Lieutenant and above - i.e. 1 star on the shoulder) and be carried out in a well lit public place. 

Police are only allowed to carry out a Urine check etc at the Police Station. 

But - this issue is bigger than this because in each District the District Chief of Police can make their own statements and regulations for such checks - especially regarding whether or not Passports need to be carried. Additionally, as the positions change and Police are moved, the incoming Chief may have a different opinion.

And then, with all of that said - the Law and your rights are pointless... The Police on the street don't know the law and they don't know your rights, thus, any obstruction could generate escalation.

I don't carry my passport. I have photo's on my phone. IF this is not acceptable for a Police officer then you have either acted with too much ego and you are getting knocked down a peg or they are attempting a shakedown - its that simple...  

IF traveling outside of Bangkok my Passport comes with me (and is left in the hotel safe where my Wife or Friend can access it if necessary). 

IF in Bangkok, my passport is my Safe (where my Wife or Friend can access it if necessary). 

IF a Policeman is being difficult and I suspect a shakedown, my phone comes out and I call my mate who's a colonel (I've only had to do this a couple of times - but its never failed to see me on my way within seconds). 

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A couple of years ago I recall reading an announcement printed in the Nation and this forum made by the Chief of Police.

Only Immigration Police are authorised to investigate your 'Visa Status' - but it is Thai law to carry a Government Issued Photo ID, which for most foreigners is a passport. I'm not sure if your Driving License passes as a Government Issued Photo ID - its a grey area. 

In most cases a Photocopy or Photo of your Passport ID Page, Visa Page & Entry stamp is sufficient. 

Fixed Police Check Points must consist of a Commissioned Officer (Sub Lieutenant and above - i.e. 1 star on the shoulder) and be carried out in a well lit public place. 

But - this issue is bigger than this because in each District the District Chief of Police can make their own statements and regulations for such checks - especially regarding whether or not Passports need to be carried. Additionally, as the positions change and Police are moved, the incoming Chief may have a different opinion.

And then, with all of that said - the Law and your rights are pointless... The Police on the street don't know the law and they don't know your rights, thus, any obstruction could generate escalation.

I don't carry my passport. I have photo's on my phone. IF this is not acceptable for a Police officer then you have either acted with too much ego and you are getting knocked down a peg or they are attempting a shakedown - its that simple...  

IF traveling outside of Bangkok my Passport comes with me (and is left in the hotel safe where my Wife or Friend can access it if necessary). 

IF in Bangkok, my passport is my Safe (where my Wife or Friend can access it if necessary). 

IF a Policeman is being difficult and I suspect a shakedown, my phone comes out and I call my mate who's a colonel (I've only had to do this a couple of times - but its never failed to see me on my way within seconds). 

It would be nice if they could follow their own laws.

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

FWIW, the US Immigration has a checkpoint on highway 281, about 40 miles north of McAllen and the border with Mexico. The cop gave me a hard time as I was coming back from spring break on South Padre with a couple of Houston strippers in my car. But he believed the strippers when they told them that I really hadn't come from Mexico.

PS. The sea is a border too.

Knew a young woman working in Los Angeles on a vacation down south in Texas inland from the Mexican border. Her and her boyfriend were stopped by one of these checkpoints.....turned out they were on overstay. Do not pass Go, do not collect two hundred dollars....deported right from Texas. The woman she worked for was informed by phone that she wouldn't be returning. So it does happen in other countries, but not as high profile as here.

So I see... 

Foreigners targeted at Immigration Check Point - Thats kind of the point of an Immigration Check Point... 

I also see... 

People without helmets targeted a Police Check Points - I've never stopped and ride right through

Trucks Stopped and checked at Police Check Points - I'm always waved right through (in the car)

Motorcyclists Checked at Police Check Points - As soon as I take off my helmet I'm waved through

Cars stopped and checked at DUI Check Points - Been asked to 'blow' then waved through

Cars stopped at Highway Check Points - The BiB look in the car and wave me straight through

All of this is just the Police doing their jobs... Its Immigrations job to Police Immigration, how can they do this without checks?

I see no specific unfair targeting of foreigners.. I just see the Police (Immigration or otherwise) who can't get enough of their 'check points' !!!!

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Excellent post, but you cannot trust what anyone in any authority in Thailand says, also, I have said before, that no policeman will ever piss test me, though I would insist on going to a police station, but not in a police car or on the back of a police motorbike. I will walk myself.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I doubt this very much.

They seem to think they have the authority to search your person on the streets of Bangkok, but hey, they got guns.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They seem to think they have the authority to search your person on the streets of Bangkok, but hey, they got guns.

I don't care about their guns, they will not piss test me or lay their hand on my wallet except in a police station, 

but I doubt if it would ever get that far.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Excellent post, but you cannot trust what anyone in any authority in Thailand says, also, I have said before, that no policeman will ever piss test me, though I would insist on going to a police station, but not in a police car or on the back of a police motorbike. I will walk myself.

Well, you certainly seem to have issues with their authority.

Walk yourself?

Good luck with that you will find yourself handcuffed face down in the back of a police pickup.

Up to you... 

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, you certainly seem to have issues with their authority.

Walk yourself?

Good luck with that you will find yourself handcuffed face down in the back of a police pickup.

Up to you... 

Then so be it. But no way will I show anger with them. If I have not committed any crime nor been charged

with one, can they force me into their truck?

Archived