Foreigners targeted at Najomtien immigration checkpoint

Rimmer

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Excellent post, but you cannot trust what anyone in any authority in Thailand says, also, I have said before, that no policeman will ever piss test me, though I would insist on going to a police station, but not in a police car or on the back of a police motorbike. I will walk myself.

I feel exactly the same... 

A few years ago at Asoke the Police stopped my Taxi for no apparent reason. 

I opened the Window 1" - they asked for my Passport. 

I said No, but showed my Thai Driving license through the Window.

They told me to get out of the Taxi... Yes, this was a shakedown in an area notorious for regular shakedowns and issuing urine tests.... 

I wasn't playing...  this is where the 'phone a friend' comes in useful... 

I called my friend (RTP) and was quickly on my way... 

IF I am ever stopped and a Urine test is requested, I too would refuse and insist on going to the Police Station for the test - If we are Polite but firm, The BiB are more likely to give up and move on to the next guy unless they really suspect something. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I feel exactly the same... 

A few years ago at Asoke the Police stopped my Taxi for no apparent reason. 

I opened the Window 1" - they asked for my Passport. 

I said No, but showed my Thai Driving license through the Window.

They told me to get out of the Taxi... Yes, this was a shakedown in an area notorious for regular shakedowns and issuing urine tests.... 

I wasn't playing...  this is where the 'phone a friend' comes in useful... 

I called my friend (RTP) and was quickly on my way... 

IF I am ever stopped and a Urine test is requested, I too would refuse and insist on going to the Police Station for the test - If we are Polite but firm, The BiB are more likely to give up and move on to the next guy unless they really suspect something. 

That's exactly what I mean.

3 hours ago, Kim J said:

Sorry but you are wrong. Unfortunately I can not post a link to the particular article as the publication concerned is not allowed on here. But here is a little text I have copied from it: 

And you will find other articles where other police officers said that you don't need to carry your passport with you.

I did never see a section in the Thai law which says you have to carry it, did you?

4 hours ago, paul545 said:

I asked the Frenchman what’s the law about motorcycle being rented to people without the correct licence. Means the insurance is also invalid. They should also target those that rent out the motorcycles.

...and the little Frenchman said?

Never mind. These stops and checks are about catching law breakers. They're not too interested in how the law breaking was enabled.

4 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Maybe Russians represent a majority of the skirmishes here in pattaya outliving their welcome with their boorish and cheap Charlie behaviors.

I would wager that the alleged "boorish and cheap Charlie behavior" is the least of the immigration police's worries.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And a week after this guy flapped his lips didn't we have another well adorned senior guy from Phuket saying it was not necessary, and only any form of ID would suffice. 

Yes. It used to be called TiT on these hallowed pages but more recently it's been labeled YMMV.

Same same.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"In the UK brown skinned people are native".  In many parts of the UK Brown people are outnumbering the locals.

Things are improving then? I may need to pop back home this summer and check it out.

20 hours ago, Spidey said:

Na Jomtien and particularly Ambassador City is the haunt of Russians. Quite clear which nationality they were targeting.

That's alright then. Probably having a crackdown on black socks.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

If I have not committed any crime nor been charged

with one, can they force me into their truck?

If you're being non-confrontational like you claim you'll be, they'll be rather polite, lower the tailgate, help you get up and make sure you're settled in OK.

If you're being a twunt, the force is most noticeable on your face as you land after they pitch you over the tailgate.

YMMV

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Excellent post, but you cannot trust what anyone in any authority in Thailand says, also, I have said before, that no policeman will ever piss test me, though I would insist on going to a police station, but not in a police car or on the back of a police motorbike. I will walk myself.

Going by your emojis Allenberg, I would sure hate to have your life, pandering to everyones rules and

regulations, don't you have a middle finger?????

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Life isnt fair, and until the so called xenophobia affects me, I will enjoy my stays here. YMMV.

I dont understand why if someone leaves Thailand, hates it, and is never coming back, why one would post here? To tell us how bad it is? Wow, thanks for making me alert of the hellhole as I bathe in the sea, get sun, eat fresh seafood and party while you post your misery. 

Yes and you should enjoy your stays here, do not be swayed by others opinions, however I think part of the forum is about telling people our personal stories of what we experience and discussing those experience's. Some people are never happy no matter what they get!!! However do not go swimming in a place like Pattaya, it could be detrimental to your health, raw sewage is deposited daily, in fact , all over Thailand, but not as bad as Pattaya. 2nd Air pollution during the high season in both Pattaya and Hua Hin were way above healthy, so sitting in the sun may not be so good, there were many notices for the elderly and young to remain indoors. And lastly that fresh fish your eating,  that fresh seafood, may not be so fresh as well as being toxic, most likely came from a farm! There is light at the end of the tunnel "you can party till you drop"

6 minutes ago, GreenerGrass said:

Yes and you should enjoy your stays here, do not be swayed by others opinions, however I think part of the forum is about telling people our personal stories of what we experience and discussing those experience's. Some people are never happy no matter what they get!!! However do not go swimming in a place like Pattaya, it could be detrimental to your health, raw sewage is deposited daily, in fact , all over Thailand, but not as bad as Pattaya. 2nd Air pollution during the high season in both Pattaya and Hua Hin were way above healthy, so sitting in the sun may not be so good, there were many notices for the elderly and young to remain indoors. And lastly that fresh fish your eating,  that fresh seafood, may not be so fresh as well as being toxic, most likely came from a farm! There is light at the end of the tunnel "you can party till you drop"

LOL.....some people are just never happy LOL

On 3/8/2019 at 3:42 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

It racist not to stop all 

thai people driving more bad and meny with no licence or fake license and always no helmet and high speed 

Don't forget the sword in the back seat!

22 hours ago, topt said:

Then you should be aware that this is a regular place for a police stop and has been mentioned in these pages many times.

Of course I'm aware.  Where did it say I wasn't?  I was complaining about the total lack of policing in the run up to this ambush & pointing out the futility of this exercise as a means of cutting the daily death toll - it could even be argued that it contributes as once clear, the nutters step on the gas to make up for the hold-up.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:07 PM, champers said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of police activity directed against Russians lately? Who will be next?

It's directed at all white men.

Police stops, Immigration checks, news reports ........ probably a pre-coup/election  propaganda exercise to prepare the way or justify some forthcoming pogrom against us.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:42 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

thai people driving more bad and meny with no licence or fake license and always no helmet and high speed 

But why would an immigration stop be concerned about Thai people?

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's directed at all white men.

Police stops, Immigration checks, news reports ........ probably a pre-coup/election  propaganda exercise to prepare the way or justify some forthcoming pogrom against us.

Hilarious ???????????? 

What a carry on people leaving in hordes victimisation feeling not wanted here, 

the UK authorities should do more of this, I for one except the rules of Thailand, it's their country. Live by the rules a happy life follows.

Cheat the system and pay the price Bad people out good people stay.

Have a great day.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:42 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

Ridiculous, it is not racist at all, why should Immigration police stop Thai citizens?  Stopping and checking Thais would be ridiculous.

"thai people driving more bad and meny with no licence or fake license and always no helmet and high speed"

Wow, talk about a ridiculous generalisation.  What evidence have you that any Thais drive on fake Thai driving licences, an almost impossible thing to get?  Thais always ride without helmets?  Really?  All Thais, always?  And they are always speeding?   

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, Thaidream said:

Pure harassment= targeting foreigners while  locals  speed by; drive on the wrong side of the street etc.  Nine cops and 3 Immigration- to what end.  What a complete waste of manpower. It's no wonder  foreigners are contemplating leaving in hordes.

This was an Immigration checkpoint!  You want them to check locals for their visas?  Jesus...

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:57 PM, baansgr said:

I don't think people mind having to have a valid visa,  it's the constant checking in,  90 days,  TM whatever they are and all the other beaurocracy just to stay legal.... 

The only legitimate point you brought up there was the 90-day report ("TM whatever they are and all the other beaurocracy just to stay legal" is meaningless waffle) but the 90-day report is not "constant checking-in", it is checking in once every three months!

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, BestB said:

Considering 30 million visitors, 1000 or even 3000 or even 10000 makes it less than 1%

hardly a reason to go throw a hissy fit or start a hunting season. 

There's no "hissy fit", they're just politely checking visas, as is their job.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

This was an Immigration checkpoint!

If it's an immigration checkpoint, why are they checking driving licences, and why are two Thai police in the photo?

Immigration checkpoints are manned with guys in black uniforms or army outfits.

Archived