Foreigners targeted at Najomtien immigration checkpoint

Rimmer

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

This was an Immigration checkpoint!

If it's an immigration checkpoint, why are they checking driving licences?

It looks like a combined checkpoint...  Immigration and regular Police checking both Immigration status and validity of driving / riding license - 2 birds with one stone so to speak (write).... 

Kind of makes sense that if they can check the one thing why not check the other?

We’d all like to see a degree of equality and see both Thai’s and Westerners stopped with equal indifference, however, as this was an Immigration ‘led’ check point it stands to reason that Foreigners are the target. 

While some Westerners here may like to cry that the are being targeted, racism etc... the reality is that nationwide Thai’s are the main target of regular Police checkpoints and have to endure much more than foreigners who tend to get waved on and generally receive the benefit of the doubt.. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My experience with many checkpoints all over Thailand was, they waved me through most of the time as soon as seeing my farang face. The few times they stopped me they always werde correct and polite.

If they really wanted to make problems to foreigners they easily could just check their driving licensenes. How many of them could show a thai license? International licenses are not valid in Thailand but they accept them.

13 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

My experience with many checkpoints all over Thailand was, they waved me through most of the time as soon as seeing my farang face. The few times they stopped me they always werde correct and polite.

If they really wanted to make problems to foreigners they easily could just check their driving licensenes. How many of them could show a thai license? International licenses are not valid in Thailand but they accept them.

You are very confused . This check point was not to check your DL or helmet but immigration officers were there to check your passport .

hsving Thai DL has nothing to do with checking your passport and visa.

an expat does not always have a Thai DL. Having Thai DL does not make you any more legal in the country than not having one .as anyone get obtain Thai DL, even people on 30 day visa exempt

46 minutes ago, BestB said:

You are very confused . This check point was not to check your DL or helmet but immigration officers were there to check your passport .

an expat does not always have a Thai DL. Having Thai DL does not make you any more legal in the country than not having one .as anyone get obtain Thai DL, even people on 30 day visa exempt

I always carry my Thai DL and pink ID card. have never been asked for either, but if I was ever asked for my passport, I'm sure that with those 2 IDs and a modicum of negotiating skills, I wouldn't have a problem.

Totally agreed, But what makes my blood boil is the extremes how Thai handle situations,

Its either free for all chaos or an iron hand to punish all across.

As mentioned earlier, just look at all other countries with high tourist numbers, they do not seem to dwell on hunting down foreigners, the percentage of over stayers is decimal in on the larger scale, and yet BJ makes it sound as if majority are illegals or breaking the law one way or another

If thats the case, stop giving out free visas and stop whining about tourist numbers falling when it happens.

Despite BJ'S big head and Thai racism, fact is minimal amount of people want to live in Thailand in comparison to other countries,

People pay thousands of dollars to migrate to Australia or US or Canada and those who stay illegally are not exactly partying on daily basis, but rather hiding and working crappy jobs. Jobs locals do not want to do.

Even those in Thailand who overstay their visa are nothing but a formality. They do not receive any state benefits, or enjoy free healthcare or any benefits what so ever. Its a visa with zero benefits or rewards

Don’t bother trying to talk about any person doing things rationally in Thailand !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

thai people driving more bad and meny with no licence or fake license and always no helmet and high speed"

Wow, talk about a ridiculous generalisation.  What evidence have you that any Thais drive on fake Thai driving licences, an almost impossible thing to get?  Thais always ride without helmets?  Really?  All Thais, always?  And they are always speeding?

Not long time ago police catch a Thai man on fb selling fake license he had selling about 10000 license that was on news and in here too and about Thai people driving without helmets and high speed I said almost all 

But if you not see that you are not on roads alot 

1 hour ago, BestB said:

It might be you who is confused.

As you can read they checked passports AND driving licenses.

And a thai DL surely makes you more legal than driving without it because international licenses are not accepted by law. You'll learn that latest when you have an accident an show them your international paper.

14 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

That statement surprises me, and is perhaps dependent on where it is happening. I would say, as a farang, I am more likely to be waved over than the locals here in Pattaya, and I mostly get stopped on the Railway line bypass well out of town. I get a sense of being picked out. I have no issue though as showing my Thai licence makes them lose interest quickly.

Why do you suggest International licences are not valid in Thailand? A home licence backed up with an IDP is fine for tourists, those who are staying under 3 months. A Thai licence is not available to them.  

@jacko45,

now that you mention it I remember being stopped several times at the railway line bypass myself and I agree your sense of being picked out there.

Different to most of my other experiences with checkpoints.

Internatilonal license: See my post 166. Confusing Thailand.

TV members saying this is racist is a joke, an Immigration checkpoint stopping foreigners and checking to see if they are valid is what I wish the USA did more of...Edit: or even once...555.

Regrettably my post was deleted because I quotet the original statements of the Royal Thai Embassy Berlin and the German Embassy Bangkok.

In short, Thai Embassy Berlin says, german IL are not accepted in Thailand, German Embassy BKK says the opposite. Very confusing.

It might be different with british or other countries ILs.

But at least for germans I would recommend not to rely on that you will have no problems with an IL when having an accident here.

1 minute ago, mercman24 said:

cops were outside of their station on beach road, (not far to go was it) last time i went that way, only targetting farangs and letting all thais ride by without helmets. (probably no licence either)

Farang on motorbikes or by car? I'm passing Beach Road/Soi9 every day and was never stopped.

i got stopped by the cops while in a taxi on sukhumvit road bangkok, they shone a torch in the taxi i got out, the usual questions, where you been , where you go, *my condo, i live here* always a good one (but true)<deleted> tried to put his hand in my pocket, thats when i fired up, i stepped away, put all my stuff on the bonnet of the taxi. i was thinking, here we go the old *i found drugs in your pocket, that going to cost you big money* scumbags,when they knew i was wise to their little scheme, it was all politeness, thankyou sir have a nice night.

2 minutes ago, Kim J said:

I would say the answer to that is because they are having a decent success rate catching unlicenced, untaxed and uninsured drivers. If all tourists and expats alike complied with the law and that success rate dropped, they would soon move on to something more profitable.

And the yellow brick road leads to The Emerald City.

I would say that it is because they are having a decent success rate with tourists who are able to pay the fines there and then and there is nothing more profitable than that.

13 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

i got stopped by the cops while in a taxi on sukhumvit road bangkok, they shone a torch in the taxi i got out, the usual questions, where you been , where you go, *my condo, i live here* always a good one (but true)<deleted> tried to put his hand in my pocket, thats when i fired up, i stepped away, put all my stuff on the bonnet of the taxi. i was thinking, here we go the old *i found drugs in your pocket, that going to cost you big money* scumbags,when they knew i was wise to their little scheme, it was all politeness, thankyou sir have a nice night.

yeah but its still selective discrimination and intimidation don't buy the thank you sir nonsense

22 hours ago, Leslie850 said:

What a carry on people leaving in hordes victimisation feeling not wanted here, 

the UK authorities should do more of this, I for one except the rules of Thailand, it's their country. Live by the rules a happy life follows.

Cheat the system and pay the price Bad people out good people stay.

Have a great day.

Do you carry your passport with you all the time while you are in UK? I'm living in UK too but I never carry my passport with me, just the ID. No one is trying to cheat the system and in any case has nothing to do with the subject we are discussing here 

16 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Yes indeed I dare say.... etc

I would be intrigued to know what the offences mostly are. I would guess no helmet and failing to have an IDP. 

Sticking with tourists... they shouldn't be permitted to rent if they do not have a licence, but mostly they get fined because they do not have an IDP. Not long ago Thai police did not ask for an IDP, simply home licences, and shifted the emphasis to IDPs to make more money. You also said, no insurance (vehicle).... that should come with the rented vehicle and is nothing whatsoever to do with the tourist. The vehicle being taxed is also nothing whatsoever to do with the tourist.

I don't think Expats are the major law breakers here, quite a law abiding lot in fear of being chucked out! I wear my helmet, tax and insure my vehicles have an up to date licence. I get the odd ticket for illegal (maybe) left on red or turn, locals can do it, I cannot!

If you sit at any of the traffic lights in the morning on Sukhumvit, before the Police are up and hassling tourists at the Klang/2nd junction, The Dolphin R/B or infront of Soi 9 on Beach Rd, they could catch many without helmet. Then when the lights turn red another 50 still going through them. 

It is more about intimidation and making money off foreigners, which is acceptable in their xenophobic bubble.

57 minutes ago, roadrunner32 said:

Do you carry your passport with you all the time while you are in UK?

So what? Laws are not the same in UK and Thailand. It's their country, not your colony. So they make their rules as they like to and you as a guest have to respect them.

You don't have to carry your passport, a copy is enough. What's the problem?

3 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

So what? Laws are not the same in UK and Thailand. It's their country, not your colony. So they make their rules as they like to and you as a guest have to respect them.

You don't have to carry your passport, a copy is enough. What's the problem?

What do you talking about? I didn't talk about thai rules I just contest those who says that you need to carry the original passport with you despite they well aware of the huge drama and discomfort you will experience in case of loss or damage.

What's the problem? Obviously you didn't read all the posts

Archived