Police converge on Pattaya Beach as show of force

Rimmer

Its a new age. Police are going around introducing themselves to tourists with money that may need a way out of stupid made up racist laws that never are enforced on thais so they can make a little $. We have one locally to where i am. The other night someone was at my fence line snooping around. I fired a warning shot before my dogs got out and killed someone. The police officer line messeged my wife and said "Good job" lol. Someone obviously complained about me and nothing was done (again) so he will be getting gifts in the future.

Tourists should embrace the corruption as weve all had dramas time to exploit it i say. Its called equality. haha.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Its a new age. Police are going around introducing themselves to tourists with money that may need a way out of stupid made up racist laws that never are enforced on thais so they can make a little $. We have one locally to where i am. The other night someone was at my fence line snooping around. I fired a warning shot before my dogs got out and killed someone. The police officer line messeged my wife and said "Good job" lol. Someone obviously complained about me and nothing was done (again) so he will be getting gifts in the future.

Tourists should embrace the corruption as weve all had dramas time to exploit it i say. Its called equality. haha.

26 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Personally if they approached me.. i would show them my passport was up to date and tell them to leave me alone. Noone was such an intrusion into their holiday of relaxing. It's amazing noone makes a complaint of harassment.. not that it would do any good though except their getting asked to pay a fee to file the complaint

What a ridiculous jump to nonsense.

This was a PR attempt.  They were walking the beach casually and talking to tourists not inspecting passports.

The same is done in many countries especially the beach areas in Southern California.

Get real.....

2 hours ago, johng said:

Yes most likely...lots of weekend visitors from Bangkok..I've started going further south towards Sattahip

( Nongnouch gardens,Cartoon Network waterpark area) on the weekends instead of going into Pattaya City

but still tons of weekenders clogging the roads ( me included obviously ????)

Agreed, and once you get east of Sattahip, it can be quite quiet, even on a Sunday, and no coaches, cleaner beaches and nicer scenery. 

Gee I don’t know maybe the beach goers were thinking that the police were just doing their jobs and keeping the public safe as they should be.  If there had been a violent crime on that beach or if anything would have happened you’d be writing an article about why weren’t the police there to stop it.  I’ve been here for 5 years and I’ve never even been approached by a cop. In fact I have actually initiated conversations with Thai police that I have seen around town just small talk.  In major cities like Pattaya especially there’s always something shady happening there so obviously the police are going to be out more often because Pattaya is a high crime area.  

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Personally I would wonder about the sanity of anyone wandering around on the beach dressed like that in the midst of the current heat wave we are having. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see more of a police presence, maybe more suitably dressed like you see in Ca, and not simply helping to arrange the fine for a damaged jet-ski!

I bet this parade cause a few touts to scatter though!

Maybe they should dress in shorts and T-shirts like they do on the beaches in USA. Ride bikes, ATV's and jeeps

police-atv-manhattan-beach-7342.jpg

A57Y3P.jpg

On 3/8/2019 at 11:21 AM, Rimmer said:

fully uniformed officers from two different police departments showed up and began randomly approaching tourists and vendors.

The word "Police" is used for every conceivable body of law enforcers both in Thailand and elsewhere no doubt.

Why can't Thai media be more specific? Which departments were involved?

Higher profile policing is a must here - they need to be seen to get the crime rate down.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Personally I would wonder about the sanity of anyone wandering around on the beach dressed like that in the midst of the current heat wave we are having. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see more of a police presence, maybe more suitably dressed like you see in Ca, and not simply helping to arrange the fine for a damaged jet-ski!

I bet this parade cause a few touts to scatter though!

The paramilitary uniform they wear is outdated, impractical for the climate and a display board of good-housekeeping medals. 

Here are a few things that can be done to improve safety and security of the beach area:

1. Fix all the night lighting. Both above canopy lighting and the low level lights, and the street illumination lighting. Also fix the light posts so live electrical cables are not accessible.

2. Fix all the CCTV cameras. Test all the cameras every week, and fix the ones that aren't working.

3. Confiscate all the motorcycles on the pedestrian walkways and fine the owners 5,000 baht. Patrol the walkways day and night looking for motorcycles.

4. Get rid of the rats in the trees and around the vendor appliances. Not just once, but on a regular basis at least monthly.

5. Plant about 2,000 trees on the beach to provide shade and help prevent erosion.

6. Fix the boardwalks properly and their guard rails. There are lots of protruding screws, loose, broken, worn and rotten boards. The last repair job replaced broken boards, with the wrong size boards.

7. Confiscate all fuel and oil containers from the beach and pedestrian walkways. Fine anyone who brings fuel containers onto the beach. The beach is not a filling station for boats and jetskis. 

The cops just need 2-4 guys on bicycles patrolling the beach day and night, with backup to remove motorcycles, fuel containers, etc. and report infrastructure requiring maintenance. City Hall needs to have a maintenance and repair program for the beach area. 

It's just another of the many cases of Thai logic being 180 degrees reversed of mine. A small army of police officers coming towards me while I'm relaxing at a beach anywhere in the world would be offsetting, to say the least. To Thais thinking, how could it be anything but nice and reassuring? 

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Here are a few things that can be done to improve safety and security of the beach area:

1. Fix all the night lighting. Both above canopy lighting and the low level lights, and the street illumination lighting. Also fix the light posts so live electrical cables are not accessible.

2. Fix all the CCTV cameras. Test all the cameras every week, and fix the ones that aren't working.

3. Confiscate all the motorcycles on the pedestrian walkways and fine the owners 5,000 baht. Patrol the walkways day and night looking for motorcycles.

4. Get rid of the rats in the trees and around the vendor appliances. Not just once, but on a regular basis at least monthly.

5. Plant about 2,000 trees on the beach to provide shade and help prevent erosion.

6. Fix the boardwalks properly and their guard rails. There are lots of protruding screws, loose, broken, worn and rotten boards. The last repair job replaced broken boards, with the wrong size boards.

7. Confiscate all fuel and oil containers from the beach and pedestrian walkways. Fine anyone who brings fuel containers onto the beach. The beach is not a filling station for boats and jetskis. 

The cops just need 2-4 guys on bicycles patrolling the beach day and night, with backup to remove motorcycles, fuel containers, etc. and report infrastructure requiring maintenance. City Hall needs to have a maintenance and repair program for the beach area. 

there are also studies that show that police revenue collection, and in Thailand this is extreme as Im pretty sure that Thai police legally get a percentage of any fines they give out, leads to very poor and ineffective policing. I cant see any of the changes you are suggested getting close to reality until the whole police force is put on descent salaries  

Archived