Police ignoring motorbikes illegally using Pattaya tunnel

Rimmer

Police ignoring motorbikes illegally using Pattaya tunnel

image.png

PATTAYA:--When Pattaya’s Central Road bypass tunnel opened, police vigorously enforced rules barring motorcycles and large trucks from using the underpass. But that didn’t last long.

Tourists and residents both have complained that large numbers of motorcyclists are speeding through the tunnel with little fear of being hit with the 1,000-baht fine. Police are nowhere to be seen.

In August 2017, when the tunnel opened, 18 motorists were stopped and fined in its first three days of operation. Police said numerous signs clearly pointed out what vehicles aren’t allowed through the underpass.

Now drivers simply ignore them and police don’t bother to enforce them.

In fact, motorbikes, tuk-tuks and carts are not allowed to use the tunnel as there is no dedicated lane for them. Also prohibited are large trucks, trucks carrying hazardous materials or trailers longer than five meters.

The speed limit inside the tunnel is 80 kilometers per hour and stopping inside the underpass is prohibited. But random checks show motorcycle daredevils are speeding through at breakneck speeds.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-08-03--

Why these rules don’t apply on Thai public danger motorists ? Surely the police wanting to can make quite a lot of money from the fines unfortunately I feel they will enforce them by stopping farangs only ☹️

Everytime i driving on toll way I see motorbikes and there is signs no motorbikes 5000 b fine 

police do nothing to stop them 

Big music from cars in jomtien beach police driving up and down but only stop vendors selling food and signs say no music 2000 b fine 

Police don't work 

Trained, mobile traffic police are absent in Thailand from my years of driving south, north, east and west. Pattaya, in particular, is lacking mobile traffic enforcement. What police pickup trucks are visible, drive around with redlights flashing, as if to announce "I'm here". I doubt if any are trained in initiating a traffic stop and issuing a citation. It is certainly no wonder that the citizens and farangs do as they please on the road. Who is going to stop them and what consequence? What a pathetic image abounds on a daily basis, not to mention the deaths on Thai roads.

21 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

Never quite understood this lack of enforcement thing - surely it would turn a profit?

It would , but the police officer doing the work does not benefit directly from it , so I assume he feels he is working for nothing , as he will get the same pay sat on his arse or sleeping.

1 minute ago, NE1 said:

It would , but the police officer doing the work does not benefit directly from it , so I assume he feels he is working for nothing , as he will get the same pay sat on his arse or sleeping.

Since they already get a salary for doing nothing, you have to pay the cops to do their jobs. Most foreigners that have been around the block a bit already know this.

21 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Police ignoring

Everything: speeding motorists; swerving violently from lane to lane; illegal turns; riding on pavements; no lights; illegal taxis.  Pattaya police are a disgrace moved to action only by thoughts of money. 

'To Serve and Protect?' - laughable if it weren't so tragic.

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

Everything: speeding motorists; swerving violently from lane to lane; illegal turns; riding on pavements; no lights; illegal taxis.  Pattaya police are a disgrace moved to action only by thoughts of money. 

'To Serve and Protect?' - laughable if it weren't so tragic.

Not everything; Candy Crush and chatting up Mia Noi's online is a significant time consumer that requires attention.

19 hours ago, Spidey said:

Thais on scooters were using the underpass well before it opened.

Not just Thais, soon after it opened I whizzed through on my bike, either the prohibiting signs were not in place or I simply missed them. 

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not just Thais, soon after it opened I whizzed through on my bike, either the prohibiting signs were not in place or I simply missed them. 

There are a few flyovers in BKK that have these signs.. I just use them. At times its crazy why they exclude motorcycles. The one i always use in BKK is allowed to use one way, but not on the way back. Its just elitism that bans motorcycles from using these things. I have yet to see a motorcycle (not talking about those food carts) hold up traffic.

20 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Everytime i driving on toll way I see motorbikes and there is signs no motorbikes 5000 b fine 

Big music from cars in jomtien beach police driving up and down but only stop vendors selling food and signs say no music 2000 b fine 

Police don't work

You're right - they're completely faulty.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

At times its crazy why they exclude motorcycles.

Totally agree  no reason at all to exclude bikes from tunnels,bridges,flyover or motorways...though on motorways there maybe should be a minimum CC limit (speed)...for instance its 125CC in the UK and you must also have a full drivers licence to ride on the motorway.

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

There are a few flyovers in BKK that have these signs

I may have used the flyover to get from North bound Sukhumvit to the Raiilway line bypass Rd a few hundred times myself in Pattaya. A few do it too fast and unexpectedly end up back on Sukhumvit after a 30 ft drop. Less frequent, since the tunnel opened and I can use Soi SIam CC. 

Harsh, but probably more truth to that statement than many others here...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Good.. the ancient law prohibiting bikes from tunnels and overpassed should be removed. Those who are complaining should get a smack! Although I understand motorbikes unable to keep at 80km/h should be banned as they can cause dangerous situations if they can't stay out of the way. 

I really hope one day they give bikes the same rights as cars, perhaps with a min. cc limit like 250cc. But even most scooters +125cc can do 100km/h easily, it's just most riders ride slow without helmets so I get the reason why people want they stay out of the way of faster moving cars. 

22 hours ago, Benmart said:

Trained, mobile traffic police are absent in Thailand from my years of driving south, north, east and west. Pattaya, in particular, is lacking mobile traffic enforcement. What police pickup trucks are visible, drive around with redlights flashing, as if to announce "I'm here". I doubt if any are trained in initiating a traffic stop and issuing a citation. It is certainly no wonder that the citizens and farangs do as they please on the road. Who is going to stop them and what consequence? What a pathetic image abounds on a daily basis, not to mention the deaths on Thai roads.

Trained police, in Thailand :cheesy:

Better to start training monkeys, they work cheaper.

31 minutes ago, SS1 said:

I really hope one day they give bikes the same rights as cars, perhaps with a min. cc limit like 250cc. But even most scooters +125cc can do 100km/h easily,

My scooter might struggle with my 95kg load up the exit ramp!

On 3/8/2019 at 6:19 AM, Henrik Andersen said:

Police don't work 

Presume they make the token purchase at the food stands with marked notes before fining the vendors?

Archived