Prescription for medical marijuana - when and where?

ChiangMaiThai

I searched, but I don't see a specific thread on this. I'm actually more interested in trying CBD oil than something with THC, but either way, is there any solid news on when and where we will be able to go to a doctor and look at medical marijuana as a treatment option? I see articles saying it is being grown, doctors are being trained, etc. But is there a solid date and place for actually getting the prescription and medicine?

No timeframe yet.

There first needs to be products registered for sale/use in Thailand with the Thai FDA, there are not any yet.

There is also AFAIK no organized effort to train doctors.

there have been unconfirmed reports that soem of the anti-aging clinics have CBD but I would not expect them to have much expertise in it, more likely (if true) providing it on demand or empirically.

To be frank the impetus behind the legal refiorm is mainly profit through export. And there are squabbles going on as to who will own the patents etc on any approved products.

For what you want, best to get it abroad. Unlike in the past, you can now get an FDA permit to bring it in with you as it is no longer a Class 5 narcotic (though the list in the Thai FDA website still has it as one as not been updated).

See  http://www.fda.moph.go.th/sites/Narcotics/en/Pages/Main.aspx

and click on "permit for travelers"

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No timeframe yet.

There first needs to be products registered for sale/use in Thailand with the Thai FDA, there are not any yet.

There is also AFAIK no organized effort to train doctors.

there have been unconfirmed reports that soem of the anti-aging clinics have CBD but I would not expect them to have much expertise in it, more likely (if true) providing it on demand or empirically.

To be frank the impetus behind the legal refiorm is mainly profit through export. And there are squabbles going on as to who will own the patents etc on any approved products.

For what you want, best to get it abroad. Unlike in the past, you can now get an FDA permit to bring it in with you as it is no longer a Class 5 narcotic (though the list in the Thai FDA website still has it as one as not been updated).

See  http://www.fda.moph.go.th/sites/Narcotics/en/Pages/Main.aspx

and click on "permit for travelers"

Thank you for this. I hadn't thought of getting it abroad and bringing it in with a FDA permit. I wonder if that means that companies will ship here directly (and customs will clear it) as long as I have my FDA permit?

Even if the driving force is profits through export, it does sound like eventually it will be available from local docs, and hopefully at least some of them will be knowledgable.

You cannot have ANY pharmaceutical legally shipped to you without an FDA license to import pharmaceuticals, which you cannot get.

In practice, customs will usually let by small parcels containing  non-controlled substances if sent by regular mail,  but not a controlled substance and you could get in serious trouble trying.

All forms of cannabis remain controlled substances. What has changed is that it moved from category 5 (altogether banned, no exceptions) to Category 2 (controlled but legal for medical use).

5 minutes ago, ChiangMaiThai said:

Thank you for this. I hadn't thought of getting it abroad and bringing it in with a FDA permit. I wonder if that means that companies will ship here directly (and customs will clear it) as long as I have my FDA permit?

Consider watching an episode or two of: 'Banged up Abroad' before following narcotic import advice, in a forum.

4 hours ago, ChiangMaiThai said:

But is there a solid date and place for actually getting the prescription and medicine?

as the highly corrupt Thai police love new rules and regulations that can be used to create all sort of confusion so they can prey upon a new group of victims, I would wait six months after the announcement that it is legal to see how people who test positive for these drugs are treated. especially Farangs.  

21 hours ago, ChiangMaiThai said:

Great. Looking for real doctors who can evaluate a condition and who understand the different strains, correct percentage of THC for a given ailment, strength of CBD, correct dosages etc...

My guess is that at the present time, the doctor you just described is a rare as  unicorns and chicken with teeth.

A friend has recently started taking the oil in capsules. He got them from a legal Thai doctor near Sa Kaeo. Apparently he has been doing research for years. He got a referral to this doc but not sure how. 

I genuinely have severe pain from prostate cancer. I cannot take NSAIDS because they react with warfarin an anticoagulant I have to take. I believe my only recourse will be cannabis oil. So if anyone knows how I can get this somehow and when I should be grateful.

On my recent visit to Bumrungrad I asked my doctor about medical marijuana. I have severe back pain and some other non threatening issue. He said that they were having a conference at the hospital next month concerning medical marijuana in oil form only. He told me that on my next visit in June it is a real possibility for dispensation through the hospital pharmacy only.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:01 PM, ChiangMaiThai said:

Great. Looking for real doctors who can evaluate a condition and who understand the different strains, correct percentage of THC for a given ailment, strength of CBD, correct dosages etc...

Dude dude dude, none of that exists except for a few rare neurological conditions.

Lets be real here, "Medical marijuana" is just a way to justify legalizing it in part of ensure public acceptance, and get some licensing and ssytems set up. It has nothing to do with medicine. Ya smoke it for fun. Its a cure all for nothing except reality

39 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude dude dude, none of that exists except for a few rare neurological conditions.

Lets be real here, "Medical marijuana" is just a way to justify legalizing it in part of ensure public acceptance, and get some licensing and ssytems set up. It has nothing to do with medicine. Ya smoke it for fun. Its a cure all for nothing except reality

Cannabidiol (CBD) does not give a marijuana high so its legalization does nto make sense on the grounds you mention and I suspect we will find that most of the preparations that end up being approved for the Thai market will be that. (What they will export will likely be another matter).

Both marijuana and CBD oil do have some medical applications though only a few are well established - there has been a lack of properly designed medical trials.

Efficacy in stimulating appetite and overcoming nausea associated with chemotherapy seems clear for marijuana.

For CBD, there is evidence of benefit in treating some types of childhood epilepsy and also pain due to inflammatory conditions though the latter is largely based on animal models.  A lot more research is needed and now that laws have opened up in many countries, expect they will be done.

True enough that most "medical marijuana" users in the Aest are doing it for "recreational" purposes.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, Spidey said:

In Pattaya, it's being dispensed by the MTB guys.

I’ve been curious about this whole topic myself but I haven’t done hardly any research on it at all and I’m actually curious about this as well.  I saw what Sheryl wrote which sounds about right.  I remember hearing something about April 1st.  I have a nephew who works at a Thai Army Hospital who told me that it’s only for cancer patients but then again he does work at an Army hospital so I take that with a grain of salt.  I haven’t asked the good hospital about it yet or my doctor.  I’m interested in it.  

Who are the MTB guys?  And are they only in Pattaya?  And most importantly are they legally dispensing it?  

3 hours ago, gamini said:

I genuinely have severe pain from prostate cancer. I cannot take NSAIDS because they react with warfarin an anticoagulant I have to take. I believe my only recourse will be cannabis oil. So if anyone knows how I can get this somehow and when I should be grateful.

I’m a cancer survivor myself but that was back in 2005 I’m good now.  Are you actually dealing with prostate cancer right now here in Thailand?  If so I hope you have good insurance and get well soon.  God bless.  

54 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

Who are the MTB guys?  And are they only in Pattaya?  And most importantly are they legally dispensing it?  

Motorcycle Taxi Boys. I would imagine everywhere, certainly Bangkok. Also sell straws of Yabba.

Is anything worth doing legal in Thailand and, more importantly, does anyone care? Certainly not after a few tokes on a MTB's Thai stick.

34 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Motorcycle Taxi Boys. I would imagine everywhere, certainly Bangkok. Also sell straws of Yabba.

Is anything worth doing legal in Thailand and, more importantly, does anyone care? Certainly not after a few tokes on a MTB's Thai stick.

Yeah that’s definitely not legal and I would not want to risk it in this country.  Sounds like maybe just a certain area in Pattaya.  I would not have posted that if I were you because you might have just outed them.  I’m sure you must know how serious the consequences can be in Thailand if you are caught with illegal substances.  I thought you were referring to some kind of medical clinic or something but the motorcycle taxi guys really.  Be careful what you talk about on here.  Be safe 

50 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I thought "thai stick" went the way of the dinosaurs.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

On my list of memorable quotes from TV. +1

42 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I thought "thai stick" went the way of the dinosaurs.

Still available from discerning MTBs but better chance of success in Surin, although I was offered them in Nong Khai (I didn't inhale of course).

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Still available from discerning MTBs but better chance of success in Surin, although I was offered them in Nong Khai (I didn't inhale of course).

someone took a brick and broke it up and tied it to a stick. Its flat. Like the chickens on the sticks.

On 3/8/2019 at 4:18 PM, ChipButty said:

All the Doctors are stoned so you'll have to wait like everything else here takes forever

Just as all the posters suggesting the use of this Cr*p!

It should be banned for all the proven damage that it does rather than the unproven good it is supposed to do.

Stop taking the sh*t and come back down to earth (if you still can) and the real world and use properly approved medicines.

Stop using this as your excuse for an illegal "trip" to cure disorders. They are all in your mind, if you still have one!

PS;  Do not bother quoting "expert studies" from the suppliers to say how great the cr*p is!

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

It should be banned for all the proven damage that it does rather than the unproven good it is supposed to do.

Stop taking the sh*t and come back down to earth (if you still can) and the real world and use properly approved medicines.

Stop using this as your excuse for an illegal "trip" to cure disorders. They are all in your mind, if you still have one!

PS;  Do not bother quoting "expert studies" from the suppliers to say how great the cr*p is!

Do you get this bunched up when someone lights up a fag next to you or has a pull of (the devil's juice) whiskey in your midst?

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

Won't be using it to cure anything except to make head feel better. Must take care of head.

Archived