Video: "U-Turn of Death" where there is a fatality almost every day

webfact

Video: "U-Turn of Death" where there is a fatality almost every day

10pm.jpg

Daily News reported on a U-turn in Nan in northern Thailand where they said there was a fatality almost every day. 

The police had shut it but the locals demanded it be reopened as they would have to go out of their way to turn. 

But in two of the latest clips from the U-turn it looks like the police have a case. 

In the first from just yesterday a motorcycle crosses over the road from the left causing a pick-up to swerve to avoid him and collide with parked vehicles. 

The driver is in a grievous condition after the smash. The motorcyclist just drove off as if nothing had happened. 

He is now helping the police with their inquiries. 

In the second clip at the same location from Tuesday, just two days before, another motorcycle is seen cutting in front of a postal service vehicle. 

The postal van has no chance and the motorcyclist pays with his life. 

Thaivisa notes that Daily News are running campaigns to try to help reduce the carnage on the Thai roads that has seen the kingdom named as one of the most dangerous places in the world to drive.

They said that local sources in Nan reported that the police had earlier closed this U-turn because of frequent accidents.

But they had re-opened it after complaints that motorists would have to go too far out of their way to use alternative U-turns. 

They called this particular spot "U-turn morana" - The U-turn of Death. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-08

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truly awful driving by both bikes. Neither of them pays any attention whatsoever to the traffic. I'd say it isn't the U-Turn itself that is the cause of the problem, more like the complete idiocy of those using it.

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Truly awful driving by both bikes. Neither of them pays any attention whatsoever to the traffic. I'd say it isn't the U-Turn itself that is the cause of the problem, more like the complete idiocy of those using it.

My thoughts exactly. I simply cannot express how appalling and thoughtless the driving of the two motorcyclists in the two separate clips was.

Absolute total disregard for their own safety. The first motorcyclist was lucky but the second paid with his life. I feel sorry for the truck drivers, the first for his injuries and the second for the trauma he must be feeling at being involved in the death of another although not his fault in anyway at all.  

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Exactly. Won't matter where U turns are  located if people try to make U turns from other than the right lane and despite presence of other traffic

The police had shut it but the locals demanded it be reopened as they would have to go out of their way to turn. 

Fine, install a wood chipper in the intersection to ensure 100% get chopped. Since they don't care. Darwinism at it's finest.

13 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Truly awful driving by both bikes. Neither of them pays any attention whatsoever to the traffic.

The drivers are straight out of a rice field with the fastest traffic being buffaloes. No license, no training, nada, just hop on a scooter and oh the feeling of invincibility.

In both situations the motorcyclists didn't look at all.... not even a glance. 

Speed is of course a factor with the Pickups barreling through a junction at speed without any consideration to the possibility of another vehicle doing something stupid. 

But, IF the motorcyclists simply looked both accidents would have been avoided - I'm aghast at the frequency which which motorcyclists pull into traffic without looking... I can't understand it, I can't imagine it... are they that vacant ?.... But I expect it, that's all we can do and why I have a Dash-cam on both my Bike and in my car. 

So yes, the U-Turn is dangerous, all U-Turns are inherently dangerous because of the way people use them here, but in both the example videos these motorcyclists are incidents waiting to happen at any junction at any time because they failed to follow the most basic of basics - looking !

I feel for the pickup driver who successfully avoided the motorcyclists and hurt himself in the process (no seatbelt ?)... but it does appear that he was going through a junction very quickly. 

First video, scooter rider causes a major accident, has a quick look, then continues his journey going the wrong way in the outside lane of a dual carriageway - at speed.

Leeson learned? None. Thai style, love it!

What the hell - The motorcyclist in the first clip then proceeds the wrong way down a road into oncoming traffic. 

Both accidents could have been avoided if the motorcyclists just stopped at the junction and looked, and the trucks slowed down. As others have said, the junction is not to blame, but the poor driving skills are, and I feel the frustration of the police on this one, as the locals seem to put their convenience over life. 

Just now, Spidey said:

First video, scooter rider causes a major accident, has a quick look, then continues his journey going the wrong way in the outside lane of a dual carriageway - at speed.

Leeson learned? None. Thai style, love it!

He or she was just pausing to calculate how much the worth of the amulette went up.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I feel for the pickup driver who successfully avoided the motorcyclists and hurt himself in the process (no seatbelt ?)... but it does appear that he was going through a junction very quickly. 

Who gets the bill I wonder?

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

A passing farang.

Many years ago on the DM tollway if there was a multi tail-ender the cops would pray there was an expat involved in it as he was likely to be the only one with insurance so it must have been his fault.

“I'm aghast at the frequency which which motorcyclists pull into traffic without looking... I can't understand it, I can't imagine it... are they that vacant ?”

Not looking is their way of being first by putting the burden of accident avoidance on the other party. It’s worked for them 100% of the time in the past so they keep doing it, until it doesn’t work. If they made eye contact they would have to concede it was incumbent on them to yield and that’s not being first.

9 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

“I'm aghast at the frequency which which motorcyclists pull into traffic without looking... I can't understand it, I can't imagine it... are they that vacant ?”

Not looking is their way of being first by putting the burden of accident avoidance on the other party. It’s worked for them 100% of the time in the past so they keep doing it, until it doesn’t work. If they made eye contact they would have to concede it was incumbent on them to yield and that’s not being first.

I think that you are quite correct.

It is an endless game of 'chicken' and the person who blinks first loses the turn..

Whilst the person who doesn't blink may lose his/her life.

Anyway,I've given up on the Thai and their mind benumbing stupidity.

This is where the rubber meets the road.  Aggressive and/or ignorant Thai drivers facing a technical challenge such as gauging distance and speed while simultaneously ignoring all traffic laws and rules of right-of-way.
Result?  Lot's of dead bodies.  This would be a perfect place for the authorities to take proactive measures regarding enforcement - but they won't.  Put up more cameras so you know who to blame after the carnage...that's the Thai way on the highway.

install a roundabout - simple

a roundabout has two effects

- slows everything down

- provides safe filtering

yes I know people will say Thais cannot use roundabouts properly - it doesn't matter because it slows everything down

The key to roundabout implementation are clear road markings 

Just now, Briggsy said:

My thoughts exactly. I simply cannot express how appalling and thoughtless the driving of the two motorcyclists in the two separate clips was.

I've driven here for twelve years and you see this utter, suicidal stupidity every day you get on the road.  Near miss after near miss until it no longer is a near miss. The moronic driving in itself is simply unfathomable.  You have to drive defensively 100% of the time.  No thing like enjoying a casual drive as back in the US.  You can't let your guard down long enough to enjoy the drive because it doesn't seem to take more than a couple of minutes and some Thai in or on their vehicle will do some insane maneuver that forces you a take evasion action.  I don't like driving here at all but it's a necessity - albeit, a necessity that is completely joyless.  In the US I loved to drive; In Thailand I loath it.

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

The key to roundabout implementation are clear road markings 

There is a roundabout near where I live. At least every minute, a vehicle, almost always a small bike like a Wave or Scoopy, goes a quarter of the way around it the wrong way rather than three-quarters the right way. Almost no vehicle gives way to vehicles already on the roundabout.

I think a lot more than clear road markings is required to educate this lot.

Archived