Video: "U-Turn of Death" where there is a fatality almost every day

webfact

20 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

They installed a Roundabout,  sorry, free for all, at the crossroads on Soi 88 in Hua Hin......I guarantee you that you will never have witnessed such a cluster <deleted> as goes on there on a daily basis, and I am sad to say the Farangs are as bad as the locals. 

I Pattaya they had one in Jomthien second road. Mayhem, they took it away and replaced with traffic lights. Multiple brain failures. The dolphin circle has been blocked on one side for ages as well, the standard Thai "I don't give a rat's arse I'll do what I want" way is to drive on the inside of the dolphin circle and then take an exit trajectory whenever they want, regardless if or not somebody is on the outer side of the ring of mayhem.

Thais just don't have the brainpower to process a sophisticated concept such as a circle.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on the road IMO as to whether designated U turn 'spots' are a good idea.

They work quite well on very busy roads, where there are always vehicles doing u turns from both directions, as the fast lane on both sides is blocked by the cars doing u turns - allowing vehicles to safely perform the manoeuvre.  It's far more dangerous where the road is only 'reasonably' busy, so that a car doing a u turn completely blocks the view for vehicles trying to do a u turn in the opposite direction - forcing them to edge out to see beyond the car.  The car finds a clear spot and continues, leaving the driver (trying to do the same in the opposite direction) stuck in the middle of the fast lane!

Far better (again IMO) to allow vehicles to do a u turn wherever they like, as they can choose a spot with a clear view of oncoming traffic.

Not that this excuses the behaviour of either 'bike rider in the cases shown, as suddenly cutting across lanes to perform a u turn is always a no-no!

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I Pattaya they had one in Jomthien second road. Mayhem, they took it away and replaced with traffic lights. Multiple brain failures. The dolphin circle has been blocked on one side for ages as well, the standard Thai "I don't give a rat's arse I'll do what I want" way is to drive on the inside of the dolphin circle and then take an exit trajectory whenever they want, regardless if or not somebody is on the outer side of the ring of mayhem.

Thais just don't have the brainpower to process a sophisticated concept such as a circle.

Exactly the same happens here. The Authorities placed short red and white poles in the approaches to the circle on the North and west side in order for people to go around the roundabout. All that happens is both cars and bikes come up to the roundabout, then, if they want to turn right, they do.....on the wrong side of the road, and ignoring the poles. So as you approach the roundabout you are faced with cars and bikes heading straight for you on your side...............You have one guess who is wrong in the event of an accident.............

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I disagree as Chalong Circle (on Phuket) always worked reasonably well.  Everyone seems to know that those coming from the right have right of way - although obviously more than a few 'take a chance' on getting onto the roundabout before being hit by the oncoming vehicle....

No doubt there have been more than a few accidents as there are always a few idiots who are determined to cut in front of everyone else, but I suspect (admittedly, I don't know) that there were very few fatalities as the traffic is moving so slowly?

On 3/8/2019 at 12:54 PM, evadgib said:

Who gets the bill I wonder?

The pickup driver. The deceased's family has to be compensated, irrespective of who was at fault.   . 

Two words that Thai drivers do not understand, perhaps its not in their dictionary...…….observation and anticipation, unfortunately they are unlikely to be absorbed in the near future, the majority of Thai drivers have their very own interpretation on the Highway code and no one seems be bothered ( authorities) when they see it.

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Why? 

What do you mean by "why"?

They've suffered a "loss" (typical arguments/justifications include "He/She brought home money. Now he/she is dead, so there's no money. Or "we have to pay for the funeral, monks, cremation, food, coffin, etc., etc., etc.) and want to be compensated for it. Do I think this is right - especially in light of the fact that the pickup driver (in this case) wasn't at fault? No, I don't, but that seems to be the way things work here.

I know this from personal experience... It was the very first thing that the cops sorted out before even thinking about the case/facts. 

12 minutes ago, djayz said:

What do you mean by "why"?

They've suffered a "loss" (typical arguments/justifications include "He/She brought home money. Now he/she is dead, so there's no money. Or "we have to pay for the funeral, monks, cremation, food, coffin, etc., etc., etc.) and want to be compensated for it. Do I think this is right - especially in light of the fact that the pickup driver (in this case) wasn't at fault? No, I don't, but that seems to be the way things work here.

I know this from personal experience... It was the very first thing that the cops sorted out before even thinking about the case/facts. 

If I was the van driver, I would be suing the family for vehicle damages and they could cry as much as they like about "loss" - now if the insurance company is stupid enough to fork-out money against the faulty party, that's their problem. 

46 minutes ago, Artisi said:

If I was the van driver, I would be suing the family for vehicle damages and they could cry as much as they like about "loss" - now if the insurance company is stupid enough to fork-out money against the faulty party, that's their problem. 

If only life in LOS were so simple. 

On 3/8/2019 at 4:19 PM, essox essox said:

noo noo they have no idea how to negotiate one !! not taught at any driving schools

After 20 years Thailand the only driving school i have seen is a tiny park with tiny roads where they have to drive around.

No roundabout would fit in there.

And i 've never ever seen a driving school on the real roads.

4 hours ago, djayz said:

The pickup driver. The deceased's family has to be compensated, irrespective of who was at fault.   . 

The question was rhetorical but if you're daft enough to cough in such circumstances fill yer boots.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:49 AM, dick dasterdly said:

It depends on the road IMO as to whether designated U turn 'spots' are a good idea.

They work quite well on very busy roads, where there are always vehicles doing u turns from both directions, as the fast lane on both sides is blocked by the cars doing u turns - allowing vehicles to safely perform the manoeuvre.  It's far more dangerous where the road is only 'reasonably' busy, so that a car doing a u turn completely blocks the view for vehicles trying to do a u turn in the opposite direction - forcing them to edge out to see beyond the car.  The car finds a clear spot and continues, leaving the driver (trying to do the same in the opposite direction) stuck in the middle of the fast lane!

Far better (again IMO) to allow vehicles to do a u turn wherever they like, as they can choose a spot with a clear view of oncoming traffic.

Not that this excuses the behaviour of either 'bike rider in the cases shown, as suddenly cutting across lanes to perform a u turn is always a no-no!

Choosing a spot with a clear view; that would work if drivers/riders had patience and actually felt as though they had to consider other road users.

I would bet a £1 to a pinch of sh-t neither patience or consideration come into it.

17 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The question was rhetorical but if you're daft enough to cough in such circumstances fill yer boots.

It's a slow day at my end so I took the bait...

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

If I was the van driver I might be happy that I am not being prosecuted for speeding- check the video!  Ultimately, the bike rider is more at fault though.  But imo he just didn't see the van because it wasn't there at first glance.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:40 PM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Unbelievably stupid driving by both bikes. If that is indicative of the amount of care and attention of road users up there, I am not surprised there are lots of accidents. A blind man would be paying more attention to what is going on than those two.

That's all over Thailand arrows on the roads are just decorations ????

On 3/8/2019 at 9:29 PM, cardinalblue said:

Here is the problem with roundabouts ....Thais don’t know how to use to use them....

In our muubaan, when I am in the round about, I will stop as 50% of drivers opposite come barreling through even though I am already in and making my right turn.....

pure ignorance on road rules...road structures can be there, but must be educated on the rules and then execute /follow the rules....

Anyone been to Swindon UK ?   love to see what road uses here would make of it...  

800px-Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-08-02-at-4.35.47-PM-3.jpg

1 hour ago, Fred white said:

That's all over Thailand arrows on the roads are just decorations ????

Yes  you see all over  'Box section'  painted on the road = You DO NOT enter until your exist is clear.....  means nothing or no one follows this as they would rather run into the back or the car in front then let anyone out/across the road, cars in a line bumper to bumper on the Box Section...  outside a Hospital I watched 10 cars very slow go over the Box section last week  the Ambulance had lights and siren going !!

The Thai mindset of acceptance of this utter chaos is as much to blame as anything else.

Today I very nearly killed 3 ten year old kids on a motorbike. I was turning right at a small crossroads when a bike with 3 kids on it came flying past on my right side (in the direction I was turning) doing about 70. It was one of the more stupid things I have seen in while and but for 4mm to 5mm all 3 would of been dead (regardless of me turning they were going blind through a crossroads at 70kmh all with no helmets of course).

My wife’s reaction: “YOU have to be careful, look out for the motorbikes”. No understanding or anger about the utter stupidity of the 3 ten year olds on the motorbike and their total lack of common sense and what they had just done. No understanding or logical thought process whatsoever.

45 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

The Thai mindset of acceptance of this utter chaos is as much to blame as anything else.

Today I very nearly killed 3 ten year old kids on a motorbike. I was turning right at a small crossroads when a bike with 3 kids on it came flying past on my right side (in the direction I was turning) doing about 70. It was one of the more stupid things I have seen in while and but for 4mm to 5mm all 3 would of been dead (regardless of me turning they were going blind through a crossroads at 70kmh all with no helmets of course).

My wife’s reaction: “YOU have to be careful, look out for the motorbikes”. No understanding or anger about the utter stupidity of the 3 ten year olds on the motorbike and their total lack of common sense and what they had just done. No understanding or logical thought process whatsoever.

Did you expect any logic?

6 hours ago, ignis said:

Anyone been to Swindon UK ?   love to see what road uses here would make of it...  

800px-Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-08-02-at-4.35.47-PM-3.jpg

Reminds me of the Victory Monument in Bangkok. Always scares the bezeesus out of me when I have to drive through it. 

48 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Reminds me of the Victory Monument in Bangkok. Always scares the bezeesus out of me when I have to drive through it. 

Victory Monument was bad 40 years ago.  I can't imagine what it's like today.

5 hours ago, bowerboy said:

Your wife is probably right. You have to ride/drive as if you are the only who knows the road laws.  Never rely on the common sense of other road users. It's unfair, but it's the way it is, and also consider reducing your speed.

37 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Your wife is probably right. You have to ride/drive as if you are the only who knows the road laws.  Never rely on the common sense of other road users. It's unfair, but it's the way it is, and also consider reducing your speed.

No matter how carefully one drives there is no preventing idiots like the one who rear-ended my motorbike from running from the scenes of the carnage they cause. 

Archived