European alternatives to Thailand

seasia

Hi

Very interesting topic going here re. Latin America alternatives to Thailand.

That region probably has more appeal to those from the US and Canada than those from the UK or other European countries.

So how about alternatives in Europe, or nearby, outside of Europe ideas welcome.

Somewhere with a nice warm/hot climate.

For myself I detest the cold.

Portugal and Spain seem popular.

I have my own reasons but after living in Thailand for 10 years, with an equal number of holiday visits previously I fancy a break.

Booked flights already to spend 5 months in Italy ( Summer months )

I will return to Thailand but maybe " split " my time in the future.

Italy too cold for me in the winter months.

Any thoughts as to a pleasant climate country in or near Europe ?

Tenerife ?  I know very little about it, anyone stayed there long term ? or even just holidayed often.

Thanks

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poland is relatively cheap and comparable (in fact, at some places) cheaper than Bangkok.

Summer months are usually quite good - May - Sep is the best time.

Daytime is T-shirt weather, but it may get a little nippy at night.

Krakow, Gdansk, Poznan and Wrocław are nice cities - lots of international food & drink options.

Warsaw is also quite good, but weather is a little unpredictable.

Level of English is quite good so communication isn't a problem. 

You could also try the other usual suspects - Budapest / Prague / Bucharest.

Portugal and Spain you have already mentioned, so worth a shot too.

Guys, first take a look at the tax liability of those countries. If you reside there more than 183 they will make you cough up. Malta, Cyprus, Hungary, taxfree foreign pensions. Portugal for 10 years ( but maybe not for all nationalities). Rumania and Bulgaria very low tax rate.

I lived in Mallorca, Spain for 4.5 yrs in the early 80’s when it was still under Franco. It was great then and so cheap. Ibiza is very expensive and the winter weather is cold. Not like it was when I lived there, winters were warm. Even Greece has lots of snow in winter parts of Spain get snowed out. 

Southern Portugal is very nice place. 

Cyprus, got to be the place.

Good climate, long hot summers mild spring and autumn, cool but short winters.

Easy lifestyle, cheap property that you can own, low tax  with high threshold.

English spoken just about everywhere.

16 hours ago, varun said:

Poland is relatively cheap and comparable (in fact, at some places) cheaper than Bangkok.

Krakow, Gdansk, Poznan and Wrocław are nice cities - lots of international food & drink options.

I lived in Prague for four years. beautiful city, inexpensive food, very cheap and good quality beer on tap for as little as 1 pound a pint in local watering wholes. Hot women, beautiful summers with lots of outdoor activities and liberal laws. The thing that made me move were the VERY cold, long drawn out winters and lack of sea-side.

Portugal , very reasonable living costs, not more than Thailand.Spain, friends of mine have just bought a lovely 1 bedroom apartment, huge terrace, real quality construction apparently, 70 000£, cheaper than here considering the quality. I’ve lived in Spain , I loved it there’, moved because of work/ family to the south of France. South of France has some very reasonably priced areas, renting’ probably a bit more than here tho. Beautiful to live tho, it’s where I spend the other 7 months of my life. Rent an Airbnb for a few months in each country, great life.

7 minutes ago, geisha said:

Portugal , very reasonable living costs, not more than Thailand.Spain, friends of mine have just bought a lovely 1 bedroom apartment, huge terrace, real quality construction apparently, 70 000£, cheaper than here considering the quality. I’ve lived in Spain , I loved it there’, moved because of work/ family to the south of France. South of France has some very reasonably priced areas, renting’ probably a bit more than here tho. Beautiful to live tho, it’s where I spend the other 7 months of my life. Rent an Airbnb for a few months in each country, great life.

I looked at Portugal 10 year ago before i came here but didn't think property was good value for the money and also south of France which was slightly better. Chose here and now realize was the wrong decision in hindsight although the south of France may still be an option when I sell my property here . 

Spain not bad and now (in some areas) very good real estate deals from banks repossessed properties, however my choice would be the south of Portugal either Alentejo with fantastic country side, great food,  red wine and good weather or Algarve with great beaches and good weather as well no snow there, many UK expats, visited one city called Albufeira thought I was in the UK, only hear English speaking on the streets.... if I sell my property here will consider the move

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

I looked at Portugal 10 year ago before i came here but didn't think property was good value for the money and also south of France which was slightly better. Chose here and now realize was the wrong decision in hindsight although the south of France may still be an option when I sell my property here . 

Got a house on the French Riviera but the winters there are too bloody cold for me. For Eu citizen Reunion and Mayotte Islands in the Indian Ocean are great alternatives, some things are more expensive there compared to Thailand but free health care (for EU citizen if you register yourself there), much cheaper cars than Thailand and great wine from France from 4-6 Euros (table wine from 2 Euros per bottle) in Carrefour and Leader price stores, food is great and not too expensive, a Baguett is 1 Euro and cheese is not too expensive. Housing is more expensive but European standard small apartments are available for around 350-400 Euros per month. Mayotte is cheaper than Reunion but the infrastructure standard is not as good as Reunion. Reunion is between 26-30 Celsius all year long. Also great trekking, fishing, diving and nice beaches around. The great night life is the only thing missing but you can always get on the Bangkok flight (or Nosy Be flight) when you feel for that. 

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

I did think about Malta and visited it a couple of times but found it boring! 

Ibiza perhaps??

My 84-year-old mother found Malta too boring for her when she went for six weeks about 5 years ago, so that would be off the list for most I would think. The problem with the Southern countries is summer is high season cost wise. The former Eastern Block countries would be the most interesting and cost possible. I really think all of them sound interesting. From the usual suspects like the Checz Republic and Hungary to Georgia and Poland. Beautiful places and inexpensive. 

19 hours ago, varun said:

He hates the cold and Poland is arctic in the winter

20 hours ago, varun said:

I'd personally agree with Poznan and Krakow. The other two I don't know. Poland itself is a fine Country generally. 

Morocco is different and appealed to me but may be out of scope. 

4 hours ago, bignbad said:

A guy I know here lived in Cyprus for a few years and said it was great, but now ensconced with a long-time Thai g/f here so no going back!!

I've spent time in Lisbon and Porto Portugal, Barcelona and Valencia Spain, and Tenerife.

Lovely, freindly places. I'm a beach lover so the Canaries were my favorite.

I have to disagree with the comments of those places being cheaper than Thailand though.

Lodging, food and transportation cost considerably more.

Weather-wise I feel the Canary Islands are nice. Also great for surfing if you're into that (perhaps not great for old geezers). Cost of living should be cheap there as well and I expect not many (Muslim) immigrants going there, since there's not much opportunities and in Spain the welfare isn't as good as in Northern European countries. The Canaries should have a very consistent average temperature all year round and not as hot as Thailand.

23 hours ago, xylophone said:

I did think about Malta and visited it a couple of times but found it boring! 

Ibiza perhaps??

Madeira?

You may find Europe boring and cold no matter where you go. Summers in Italy are not always dry and hot.

Don't forget to overlook the income tax situation. Portugal for instance welcomes retiree by exempting them from income tax for 10 years, Austria doesn't tax UN pensions. Some countries tax individuals other tax family units, etc..

There may be also visa issues as UK isn't in Europe anymore...

7 hours ago, bignbad said:

Have you ever lived there?   (I have, 6 years)

Flights are expensive £300-£400+ (from UK etc)  Its no good looking at Charter prices as you cannot go Cyprus - London, London - Cyprus

Medical care is not great and high priced.

Food is expensive as most is imported, except for certain fruits etc.

You are limited where to go, ie Limassol, Paphos, Larnaca, Nicossia and Troodos.

Property has massive issues re Deed ownership and is not cheap if you want something in a good location

Your first €19,500 of income is tax free. After that rates start at 20% and rise progressively to 35% for income over €60,000.   (Plus local taxes)

I agree the weather is very good, a dry heat and 10 months of the year.

Cyprus can become boring due to the few places to go.

To be honest Greece as a country has far more to offer.

6 hours ago, leverito said:

Where in Europe you can find lady's warm attention to you for $30?Or $40?.. 

The price matter.

Thailand does have the girl factor.

sometimes in Thailand a random girl will give me just a friendly smile however Spanish girls will never look at me at all and if they do they will look annoyed for whatever reason.

Archived