European alternatives to Thailand

seasia

1 hour ago, seasia said:

Has anyone spent time in both Andalusia  and Thailand?

Any thoughts ?

I have. Spent 14 years in Almeria province. Now I live in Thailand since 7 years. Andalucia (depending on where you stay) has a very bearable climate, also in winter. Lots of sun. Almeria 340 days a year. In the coldest months (Jan./Feb.) you still have an average of 18-20 degrees day and maybe 10-12 in the night. You would like to have some kind of heating device though. Or go to Thailand. The main factor for me was that even when it´s cool, the sun is shining. Very few grey days. Blue...

To tell you more I would need to know more about your requirements

If you like you can send me a message and I give you more information

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, pikao said:

I have. Spent 14 years in Almeria province. Now I live in Thailand since 7 years. Andalucia (depending on where you stay) has a very bearable climate, also in winter. Lots of sun. Almeria 340 days a year. In the coldest months (Jan./Feb.) you still have an average of 18-20 degrees day and maybe 10-12 in the night. You would like to have some kind of heating device though. Or go to Thailand. The main factor for me was that even when it´s cool, the sun is shining. Very few grey days. Blue...

I remember this thread from a couple of months back. 

Almeria is coastal and very near the desert where they filmed those spaghetti westerns. But overall it's not that interesting. 

Better options in Andalusia might include Seville, Cordoba and Granada. I can still remember the Alhambra, even though I went there years ago. 

If you've got serious cash, check out Marbella and Puerto Banus.

Like you say, great climate and fantastic food.  

If I would choose a country in Eastern Europe it would be Hungary or Czech Republic. Beautiful people and nice old towns and villages.
Not sure about the costs there but someone told me it was cheap to rent in Budapest. And they do speak English in many parts of the country. But the cold winters are not attractive. 

In Western Europe I would pick Portugal. Already discussed.  

1 hour ago, Pharoticus said:

Almeria is coastal and very near the desert where they filmed those spaghetti westerns. But overall it's not that interesting. 

Better options in Andalusia might include Seville, Cordoba and Granada. I can still remember the Alhambra, even though I went there years ago. 

If you've got serious cash, check out Marbella and Puerto Banus.

You are absolutely right about this. Depending on your lifestyle. I lived there in a Natural Park, my house, sea and mountain views and lots of space around. I loved it. But I don´t go out too much. If you need more "life" then the places you mentioned (or nearby) are better choices.

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Another vote for Portugal (Seems to hit the sweet spot for reasonable living costs/taxes, weather, things to do etc...)

Any other Brit's considering moving there why they still (Definitely) can...

I'm starting to shift to Malaysia. Take off the rose-tinted googles and it's way better than Thailand. But so is just about everywhere. 

If I had no local connections or responsibilities, I'd head off to northern Portugal in an instant. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

Thanks to the O.P. for starting the topic. 

Alternatives to Thailand that are in ASEAN are always covered well here already.

I started a thread specifically about alternatives in LATIN AMERICA.

There are some other possibilities as well that may not fit in the existing topics.

For examples --

South Africa (Africa)

Georgia (Eurasia)

Armenia (Eurasia)

Question - would you include EURASIA as fitting in this topic, or not? 

Hi

I know nothing of Georgia and Armenia, anyone who wishes to post about them is more than welcome to do so on here.

So  yes, it does fit,as would say Turkey which straddles the 2 continents. Which makes it Eurasia,Interesting country.

South Africa, did know someone who spent half their time there, other half in the UK. Probably not for me but no issue if someone wants to include it.

As you say  other Asean countries already covered as is Latin America by your own topic so almost anywhere else OK.

Cold countries I would not be interested in.

Cheers

Just now, pikao said:

Hi pikao.

Thanks for that.

It was actually Almeria I had been thinking of.

Climate sounds ideal.

I will do a little bit more reading and then get back to you with some questions.

Appreciate your offer.

Thanks for the go ahead.

On South Africa perhaps Europe enough but not really if you include the Dutch and English influences, I looked into their visa system and surprisingly found I could qualify for their four year at a time retirement option.

The pension requirement is quite high but you can combine it (sound familiar) with showing money to add up a total of all expenses for a total of four years. My understanding is the pension and show money part does NOT need to be imported to SA but I'm not certain about that. The grand total for me because I can include four years of pension is actually quite a bit less than the large amount needed for permanent residence in Mexico (something like 125K USD). But SA is only four years at a time.

Of course people have safety and security concerns there. There are some great neighborhoods in Capetown but the rents are quite high. I'm not aware of other safe locations in that country that aren't very small towns that wouldn't interest most people but if people have suggestions, please say so, especially if they are cheaper than Capetown.

On the country of Georgia (not the grits U.S. state) they offer some interesting permanent residence options. My current information says you can get something like 5 years at a time (renewable) by showing a rather modest investment in the country. Perhaps only 35K USD and that could be a condo purchase though I don't think 35K buys much of a condo there. It sounds like a very interesting country. The language is quite strange and difficult (sorry) but I have read people under 35 generally speak English while the older people speak Russian. My understanding is that it is relatively affordable compared to Western Europe the location so close to Turkey certainly sounds interesting. Anyone that has spent time there, maybe we even have some Georgian people here, please do post and comment about the quality of life possible there. 

23 hours ago, seasia said:

Hi

Has anyone spent time in both Andalusia  and Thailand?

Any thoughts ?

The former seems a nice region, climate quite good, costs not too high.

I came across this property web site with plenty of listings there,some of the places to rent seemed competitive in comparison to Thailand.

https://www.idealista.com/en/

been there 2005 & 2007, Sevilla and Cadiz, nice places hot and dry, great food, a lot of friendly gipsys musicians all around, nothing to compare to Thailand, warmer & more friendly people than thais, if stay away from Sevilla (10-20 Kms) one can find some nice properties, not to expensive

On 3/10/2019 at 12:43 AM, Enki said:

People compare not with Thailand, they compare with Bangkok. There is no single place in Europe, including eastern Europe, that is in any regard cheaper than a nice rural village in Thailand. And I doubt you find bigger cities in Europe that are cheaper than Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nakon Phanom or Krabi. Well, perhaps cheaper than expensive stuff in Chiang Mai.

You can basically live everywhere in Thailand on a budget of €500 per month (even in BKK), and much less if you insist. It will be very difficult to find a place like that in Europe.

Some life!

Surprised more people haven't mentioned Turkey, big country with a lot of choices,, fairly inexpensive, has nightlife if you want it. Only thing is the food is very meat orientated IMO.

Also Georgia, the birthplace of wine! dirt cheap going out, food,  transport etc. Very friendly people, hot women, and the birthplace of Stalin. There is also a bit of a 'scene' there. Widespread in Tblisi.

Oh, and as of last year, marijuana is legal. 

Croatia coast very nice, but not too cheap these days.

45 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

Surprised more people haven't mentioned Turkey, big country with a lot of choices,, fairly inexpensive, has nightlife if you want it. Only thing is the food is very meat orientated IMO.

Also Georgia, the birthplace of wine! dirt cheap going out, food,  transport etc. Very friendly people, hot women, and the birthplace of Stalin. There is also a bit of a 'scene' there. Widespread in Tblisi.

Oh, and as of last year, marijuana is legal. 

Croatia coast very nice, but not too cheap these days.

Yes, currently Georgia is significantly less expensive than Turkey. So it might be a good time to rush in there if you're interested in buying real estate in Tblisi. Some negatives I've heard -- bad air pollution, crazy drivers, unrestricted smoking in restaurants. 

On 4/16/2019 at 5:06 PM, apknug said:

Have just scrolled through THE thread but i would say;

Albania.

One of the poorest countries in Europe with cattel om the Streets and stuff like that but very friendly People and great value for money. Nice Long costline with the adriatic sea.

Not the ideal place for the Winter and not part of EC. Have to check My passport to see how long they let me stay. But I think 90 days and after that a border run?

Skickat från min Lenovo TB-X704F via Tapatalk

Either trolling or joking? Albania is ruled by the "mafia" what ever they call it there. No one in his sane mind would relocate to there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Someone I know mentioned Mijas,Malaga area.

Looks nice on line, outside bars/restaurants, I like an outdoor lifestyle and nice scenery,seems to have that.

Love the wide pavements and it appears to be very clean.

Very near the coast.

No interest in discos/nightclubs any more, just a fairly quiet life with access to decent food and drink.( Internet access also important)

Saw this walking tour video

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Ibiza is beautiful ,but very expensive in the high season( clubbers etc)
However there are many beautiful places in spain worth a look emoji106.png

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, Spain is tempting I must say and actually did go to Marbella in 1982 and Ibiza for a weeks holiday back in 1973. That being the case I don't know why I mentioned it again!!! Senility creeping in perhaps!

Now back in the UK and not really enjoying it, esp as the weather is bloody cold, so the UK is out as an alternative destination for me. 

Yes, Spain is tempting I must say and actually did go to Marbella in 1982 and Ibiza for a weeks holiday back in 1973. That being the case I don't know why I mentioned it again!!! Senility creeping in perhaps!

Now back in the UK and not really enjoying it, esp as the weather is bloody cold, so the UK is out as an alternative destination for me. 

Check out ‘a place in the sun’ channel 4 ‘always good to watch’ !

Hi

I delayed my Thailand departure as had things here to sort out.

Take off not far away though, leave Thailand Sunday ( booked a return, strangely hardly any difference in return or single.)

I will be staying in the small pretty town of San Fermo.

A stock photo here of the town centre square, have many of my own photos of the general region but cannot currently access them.

http://rete.comuni-italiani.it/foto/2012/92192/view

San Fermo is very near Como ( northern lakes area ) 4 kms walk shortcut but about 15 kms by road. 1.7 Euro bus journey            ( about 50 baht )

I suppose a 4 month stay could be regarded as a long tourist trip but I will generally be having  a stay similar to someone living here.Will be working online in the weekdays, then relaxing weekends.

Swiss border is approx 10/15kms away so convenient for a day trip.

Although the following link is very much tourist orientated, it does show some of the beauty of Como.

https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-things-como-italy/

I have done just over half on that list.

I know I will miss some of the convenience of Thailand, live in naklua, 3 x 24 hr convenience stores less than a minute walk away.

Supermarkets etc also within walking distance. Cheap bahbus system.

Taxis are expensive in Italy.

If I enjoy the 4 month stay I will try 6 months next year.No desire to be there ( north Italy ) in the winter.

Far south or Sicily would be fine or perhaps another country.

Thailand for winter or a stay somewhere in South America.

Undecided.

Staying flexible.

To any that are relocating, best of luck

On 5/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, seasia said:

Hi

Someone I know mentioned Mijas,Malaga area.

Looks nice on line, outside bars/restaurants, I like an outdoor lifestyle and nice scenery,seems to have that.

Love the wide pavements and it appears to be very clean.

Very near the coast.

No interest in discos/nightclubs any more, just a fairly quiet life with access to decent food and drink.( Internet access also important)

Saw this walking tour video

is it gods waiting room? didn't see anyone under 60

7 hours ago, KC 71 said:

There are some nice places in between Mijas(malaga side) and Sotogrande( nearer to Gibraltar) my Folks have a lovely place in between Estapona and Sotogrande emoji106.png

Lovely pics that you posted KC and look just about perfect, especially as I'm viewing them in a cool and basic hotel room in rainy and cold southern England right now (as already posted).

However I feel I need to get away from Patong every once in a while to make me appreciate the place even more, as it is more than likely I will be spending the rest of my life there, and I know this may sound silly, but not only do I miss the buzz and vibrancy of the place, but being able to go for 90 minute massages, foot massages and the like, as well as the smiles from the girls in the shopping malls and around the place, something I have found in short supply here.

I don't see this in other places and I sincerely hope that I don't have to leave Thailand because I don't see anywhere else where a 71-year-old man can get the same enjoyment, so a European alternative at this moment in time seems very distant for me, although spending a month in a nice place every year might do the trick.

AND to seasia.......have a great time on your sojourn and try to stay in touch and let others know how it is going.

Bon voyage.

Hi

I delayed my Thailand departure as had things here to sort out.

Take off not far away though, leave Thailand Sunday ( booked a return, strangely hardly any difference in return or single.)

I will be staying in the small pretty town of San Fermo.
A stock photo here of the town centre square, have many of my own photos of the general region but cannot currently access them.
http://rete.comuni-italiani.it/foto/2012/92192/view

San Fermo is very near Como ( northern lakes area ) 4 kms walk shortcut but about 15 kms by road. 1.7 Euro bus journey            ( about 50 baht )
I suppose a 4 month stay could be regarded as a long tourist trip but I will generally be having  a stay similar to someone living here.Will be working online in the weekdays, then relaxing weekends.

Swiss border is approx 10/15kms away so convenient for a day trip.

Although the following link is very much tourist orientated, it does show some of the beauty of Como.

https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-things-como-italy/

I have done just over half on that list.
I know I will miss some of the convenience of Thailand, live in naklua, 3 x 24 hr convenience stores less than a minute walk away.
Supermarkets etc also within walking distance. Cheap bahbus system.
Taxis are expensive in Italy.

If I enjoy the 4 month stay I will try 6 months next year.No desire to be there ( north Italy ) in the winter.
Far south or Sicily would be fine or perhaps another country.
Thailand for winter or a stay somewhere in South America.
Undecided.
Staying flexible.

To any that are relocating, best of luck

Forgive me fore my lack of knowledge ,but is that near Italy ?

My Big Bro has just bought a Chalet on the French Border
He’s almost forcing me to go and visit ![emoji846]
What between Spain and Thailand ,I’m pushed to find the time!
The mountain views are stunning.it doesn’t look much from the outside,but i t looks amazing inside!
I think he’s made a wise choice[emoji106]IMG_9320.PNGIMG_9321.PNGIMG_9322.PNG

Viewing these pics and the other lovely ones posted, makes me a little envious but it also doubles my resolve never to come back to Blighty and I have just written an email to somebody in which I said, "that I would never come back to this place what with the weather, unsmiling faces, fat bottoms and dingy pubs".

Phuket and places nearby yes, even trying somewhere further afield like Portugal or Greece, but finished completely with the UK, even after spending 37 years there.

Just now, KC 71 said:

Forgive me fore my lack of knowledge ,but is that near Italy ?

Hi KC

Are you asking about my mention of Sicily ? If so answer is yes, it is an island off the far south of Italy.

Both San Fermo and Como are north Italy.

The south is generally cheaper as well as having mild winters.

North Italy can get cold which is why I commented about not wishing to spend winter there.

Hope that helps.

Archived