Riding position on the road

Joinaman

okay guys

looking for information/advice/knowledge

Where would you position your bike on the road, assuming its a normal, fairly quiet road, while travelling at around 100-120k 

would you ride in the middle of the lane so you can see and move easy, would you stay in the left bike lane , 

Im talking about bike 300cc  and over 

Been told i should stay tight left otherwise its suicidal.

I normally travel on the shoulder at 40 - 60 km/hr, on a 110 cc scooter. That would be suicidal at 100-120K, because there is no time to react to emerging traffic, or traffic coming the other way.

I would suggest 100-120K in the middle of the lane is OK, provided you use your mirrors constantly. Having said that, there are no safety guarantees on two wheels in Thailand.

16 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

assuming its a normal, fairly quiet road,

:cheesy:

16 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

well this maybe the best option, other wise you have to watch your rear view mirror constantly especially on a "one lane in each direction" road. 80 kph absolute max speed in the scooter lane.

of course the "scooter lane" will be blocked, have bikes coming right at you and full of debris so merging back into the car lane is always going to be dangerous. 

The problem with Thailand is you could be going 150 Kph on your scooter and that just means a Thai male will not be able to stand the fact that you are going faster than him and he will tailgate you until you get out of the way.   

I have driven all over Thailand on a motorcycle and scooter and the biggest challenge is not losing your concentration for long periods of time or start looking at things that are not part of your riding. 

18 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

while travelling at around 100-120k 

and think about this, when I ride my Kawasaki 650 motorcycle at 100-120 kph I wear a helmet, gloves, jacket, Kevlar jeans and boots. All of this gear is top quality and very expensive. My motorcycle jacket is high advisability yellow, no fashion victim shit for me. What do you wear at 120 kph on your scooter?

You should be changing your position on the road - as it dictates, right hand corner - move to the left so you can see better, left hand corner - move to the right of the lane - defensive driving! Keeping your eyes on the mirrors at all times & being aware that every car or truck is out to annihilate you. :shock1:

you must also constantly monitor on coming traffic as Thai are always passing and pulling into your lane, even if you are in the scooter lane because that is where the cars go to avoid a head on collision. This happens all day long.  Scooter count for nothing on the highways. I suggest you know your destination before hand and study your route on google maps. 

When you come to a stop, move your handlebars so you can see behind you with your mirrors. Time share looking forward and backwards the entire time you are stopped.  

I always ride in the middle of the lane. Most of the time without problems.

But it happens extreme seldom that I ride on roads with just one lane in each direction. Not sure what would be best there.

But if you ride 120km/h on a small road normally you should expect that not many people will overtake you. I know, "normally".

Follow the tyre track of the cars left wheels, all the rubbish gets mostly pushed to the cars middle so following that you're more likely to get tyre damage
Move to the right side gives you less chance of being bullied out in most countries but here you run the risk of being rear ended by aggresive drivers....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I usually ride in the middle of the left half of the lane. That way avoid the random pick up/waves with cart/buffalo pulling from the side roads without even looking, while can move to any side in case of obstacles and use the clean part of the lane, avoiding to ride over the painted arrows etc.

In one lane twisty roads just don't ride in the right half of the lane: it's sad to not be able to use all the lane for a clean way, but half of the pickup/van drivers love to cut every right corner invading the opposite lane - and the other half of them drive too fast so invade the opposite lane when turning left.

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Im talking about bike 300cc  and over 

Always ride in the middle of the lane at 100k plus and keep checking your rear view mirrors or you use that thing called a neck.

Slow speeds keep left but still use your mirrors.

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I always ride in the middle of the lane. Most of the time without problems.

But it happens extreme seldom that I ride on roads with just one lane in each direction. Not sure what would be best there.

But if you ride 120km/h on a small road normally you should expect that not many people will overtake you. I know, "normally".

Many years ago I did a couple of weekend 'riding enhancement' courses with police motorcycle instructors in the UK. (what awesome riders they are)

And this was exactly the advice they gave. Ride in the middle of your chosen lane and 'claim your space' (that was their exact words). In essence, if you're riding hard over on the left and someone puts the squeeze on you, you've got nowhere to go. But if you're in the middle of the lane you have room to maneuver.

I've always remembered that advise and always and stay well away from that so called 'motorcycle lane'. It's a potential death trap.

Thais seem to have a fixation with riding there and if you've been watching these dreadful U turn accidents over the last few days, you may have noticed that they all start with the rider commencing his maneuver from the left hand lane. It's a very dangerous practice.

Many years ago I did a couple of weekend 'riding enhancement' courses with police motorcycle instructors in the UK. (what awesome riders they are)

And this was exactly the advice they gave. Ride in the middle of your chosen lane and 'claim your space' (that was their exact words). In essence, if you're riding hard over on the left and someone puts the squeeze on you, you've got nowhere to go. But if you're in the middle of the lane you have room to maneuver.

I've always remembered that advise and always and stay well away from that so called 'motorcycle lane'. It's a potential death trap.

Thais seem to have a fixation with riding there and if you've been watching these dreadful U turn accidents over the last few days, you may have noticed that they all start with the rider commencing his maneuver from the left hand lane. It's a very dangerous practice.

Agree 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

What do you wear at 120 kph on your scooter? 

On my 830cc Triumph...

Musta been near Sonkran with the shirt.

1492843877408-1.jpg.c89fb1e8684a61cddc3c45ebef719d88.jpg

Today on my 950cc Moto Guzzi.

Caterpillar desert boots.

Army shorts.

A quieter shirt and hidden by my-worth-a-fortune geniune falling to pieces 35 y/o Levis Jacket.

Beenie made-in-Canada helmet.

Expensive genuine Levis sunglasses.

Hi quality rigger gloves.

Cruising at 100-120, hitting the odd 150 kph...

Oh. and we used to ride from the UK down to the southern part of Italy, with similar attire, many trips via the Alps.

Been to CM and back twice on the Guzzi from UT, both times similar attire.

Not braggin', just the way it is.

If i had to wear fluro jackets & full face helmets over here, IN THIS CLIMATE, i'd probably give up riding motorcycles that i have been doing for 42 years.

Not having a go, each to their own etc, but................................

On my 830cc Triumph...

Army shorts.
A quieter shirt and hidden by my-worth-a-fortune geniune falling to pieces 35 y/o Levis Jacket.
Oh. and we used to ride from the UK down to the southern part of Italy, with similar attire, many trips via the Alps.
If i had to wear fluro jackets & full face helmets over here, IN THIS CLIMATE, i'd probably give up riding motorcycles that i have been doing for 42 years.

Hope you won the bet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Been told i should stay tight left otherwise its suicidal."  Beware of that friend - they are trying to kill you!

Staying tight left works if you ride a scooter like a bicycle, but ONLY at this pace. If you haven't yet observed and learned to understand Thai traffic flows enough from a scooter I worry about you riding a 300 at speed to be honest, but given that this is what you plan to do keep away from the left of the left lane - too much stuff pulling out in front of you and dogs, etc. 
If you are riding fast enough you are mostly overtaking not being overtaken and there is a "safety" to this. You have to judge according to the conditions but you will be often in the right-hand lane, or slightly to the right of centre in the left lane. use your mirrors properly so that you are always aware of traffic both in front and behind you, and good luck! If you are in Chiang Mai, join the Facebook group "Chiang Mai Motorcycle Riders" and ride with some experienced people - following someone with experience can teach you a lot!

9 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

On my 830cc Triumph...

Army shorts.

You're safe!

Everybody will see you with that shirt ????

Ride where it is most safe. Usually hug the centreline as that gives you the most road - on both sides - to take evasive action. Move over for traffic. Look in your mirrors frequently.

Anywhere else and you are cutting your chances for survival.

Ride dead centre of your lane - and rain comes - all the oil drips from traffic since the last rain will be right there. Death Trap until it washes off.

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Many years ago I did a couple of weekend 'riding enhancement' courses with police motorcycle instructors in the UK.

They would give different advice on slower small motorbikes in Thailand.

I did a similar course in UK and the cop behind me didn't make the bend on his Pan-European, Pan am as we called em ended up unhurt in a ditch of water on the side of the road.

His police mates gave him some right stick later.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

They would give different advice on slower small motorbikes in Thailand.

I did a similar course in UK and the cop behind me didn't make the bend on his Pan-European, Pan am as we called em ended up unhurt in a ditch of water on the side of the road.

His police mates gave him some right stick later.

Yes, I do agree with your comment regarding slower smaller motorbikes. But I think better advice would be don't use fast highways at all on such machines. Smaller and slower vehicles are a hazard to others and a danger to themselves.

But in a land were buffalo frequently wander around on the highways, that's hardly likely to happen.

Those Pan Ams never were much in the bends were they!

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I also did advanced riding in the UK many years ago (I had a bike dealership and used it as a way of drumming up business, also gave cops a 10% discount :wink:), cops were also on the courses, some were good riders, some not so good and relied on being on highly visible cop bikes and people being aware of them and getting out of their way. They tended to taking very wide lines into corners as that was the only way they could get around due to the machinery they were riding.

57 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Those Pan Ams never were much in the bends were they!

Comfy motorcycle for 2 up touring, a mate had one and we called him our back up tanker when we went for long w/e bike trips. ???? 

On a 4x4 road always stays on the 2x middle lanes :

You don't know what's coming from the left, and you don't know who's gona make a savage u-turn on the right lane(s).

+ the left lane is always fuc***up because that's where all the trucks / bus stops, they damage the road and you got all the sand and dirt there.

on 2x2 road stays kind of in the middle, on the right end of the left lane (not sure if that's proper english).

Basically always leave some room on your left and right sides to have some time to react to all the craziness going on.

52 minutes ago, CGW said:

They tended to taking very wide lines into corners as that was the only way they could get around due to the machinery they were riding.

Yeah the Pan am was an ideal bike IMO, BMW is now the largest provider of motorcycles for police use in UK

The police motorcycles are the BMW R1200RT-P and the Yamaha FJR1300. UK police forces withdrew the Honda ST Pan-am because of the death of a Motorcycle policeman they blamed the machine.

I had my own view on that.

12 hours ago, JimShortz said:

"Been told i should stay tight left otherwise its suicidal."  Beware of that friend - they are trying to kill you!

Staying tight left works if you ride a scooter like a bicycle, but ONLY at this pace. If you haven't yet observed and learned to understand Thai traffic flows enough from a scooter I worry about you riding a 300 at speed to be honest, but given that this is what you plan to do keep away from the left of the left lane - too much stuff pulling out in front of you and dogs, etc. 
If you are riding fast enough you are mostly overtaking not being overtaken and there is a "safety" to this. You have to judge according to the conditions but you will be often in the right-hand lane, or slightly to the right of centre in the left lane. use your mirrors properly so that you are always aware of traffic both in front and behind you, and good luck! If you are in Chiang Mai, join the Facebook group "Chiang Mai Motorcycle Riders" and ride with some experienced people - following someone with experience can teach you a lot!

Thanks for the reply, but don't worry about me. Been riding for a long time As i stated i prefer to ride near the center line so i can see and be seen, plus usually better surface there. But the question was in response to another so called experienced rider who stated bikes should stay tight left at all times otherwise will be hit from behind or by overtaking oncoming vehicles, but as you say, when i'm doing 100 - 120 i'm usually passing other vehicles  

I was told by a very experienced bike rider, many years ago, to treat yourself as a small car and ride accordingly.  I guess that needs to be adapted somewhat for Thai roads but maybe a good starting point.  What I would not do is ride in the gutter. 

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I was told by a very experienced bike rider, many years ago, to treat yourself as a small car and ride accordingly.  I guess that needs to be adapted somewhat for Thai roads but maybe a good starting point.  What I would not do is ride in the gutter. 

That's what i have always done, make them see me so maybe, just maybe here in Thailand they won't run into me, although they still keep trying when the overtake the oncoming traffic

I know what i do and what i see, but always welcome advice from different and more experienced people on here, thank you

Bin riding on and off since 1970, but never stop learning !

10 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Ride dead centre of your lane - and rain comes - all the oil drips from traffic since the last rain will be right there. Death Trap until it washes off.

yea, be a lot safer on a TriCity.

Archived