BANGKOK 20 March 2019 06:46
Joinaman

Riding position on the road

okay guys

looking for information/advice/knowledge

Where would you position your bike on the road, assuming its a normal, fairly quiet road, while travelling at around 100-120k 

would you ride in the middle of the lane so you can see and move easy, would you stay in the left bike lane , 

Im talking about bike 300cc  and over 

Been told i should stay tight left otherwise its suicidal.

you must also constantly monitor on coming traffic as Thai are always passing and pulling into your lane, even if you are in the scooter lane because that is where the cars go to avoid a head on collision. This happens all day long.  Scooter count for nothing on the highways. I suggest you know your destination before hand and study your route on google maps. 

When you come to a stop, move your handlebars so you can see behind you with your mirrors. Time share looking forward and backwards the entire time you are stopped.  

• Like 2

Just now, NCC1701A said:

constantly monitor on coming traffic as Thai are always passing and pulling into your lane

and those pesky tourists.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always ride in the middle of the lane. Most of the time without problems.

But it happens extreme seldom that I ride on roads with just one lane in each direction. Not sure what would be best there.

But if you ride 120km/h on a small road normally you should expect that not many people will overtake you. I know, "normally".

• Like 2

Follow the tyre track of the cars left wheels, all the rubbish gets mostly pushed to the cars middle so following that you're more likely to get tyre damage
Move to the right side gives you less chance of being bullied out in most countries but here you run the risk of being rear ended by aggresive drivers....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I usually ride in the middle of the left half of the lane. That way avoid the random pick up/waves with cart/buffalo pulling from the side roads without even looking, while can move to any side in case of obstacles and use the clean part of the lane, avoiding to ride over the painted arrows etc.

In one lane twisty roads just don't ride in the right half of the lane: it's sad to not be able to use all the lane for a clean way, but half of the pickup/van drivers love to cut every right corner invading the opposite lane - and the other half of them drive too fast so invade the opposite lane when turning left.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Im talking about bike 300cc  and over 

Been told i should stay tight left otherwise its suicidal.

Always ride in the middle of the lane at 100k plus and keep checking your rear view mirrors or you use that thing called a neck.

Slow speeds keep left but still use your mirrors.

• Like 2

Many years ago I did a couple of weekend 'riding enhancement' courses with police motorcycle instructors in the UK. (what awesome riders they are)

And this was exactly the advice they gave. Ride in the middle of your chosen lane and 'claim your space' (that was their exact words). In essence, if you're riding hard over on the left and someone puts the squeeze on you, you've got nowhere to go. But if you're in the middle of the lane you have room to maneuver.

I've always remembered that advise and always and stay well away from that so called 'motorcycle lane'. It's a potential death trap.

Thais seem to have a fixation with riding there and if you've been watching these dreadful U turn accidents over the last few days, you may have noticed that they all start with the rider commencing his maneuver from the left hand lane. It's a very dangerous practice.

Agree 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when papa is out on the highways

like to swerve around

so other drivers beware.

• Haha 2