Riding position on the road

Joinaman

Seated.  On my bike.

It all depends on the road and traffic conditions.  A couple of weeks ago I rode around 200km down Highway 24, which is divided into 2 lanes each direction.  There was light traffic and most of the time I cruised along at 120 on the right hand side of the left lane, just to the left of the dashed white line between the lanes - away from traffic entering from the left and U-turning into the right hand lane, and allowing anyone going faster to overtake.  When coming up to slower traffic, check for faster cars coming in the right hand lane; if there's enough time for them to overtake before I reach the slower car, then wait for them to do so before overtaking, if I will reach the slower car before they reach me, then speed up if necessary and overtake.  I was only overtaken 4 times the whole way though, and 2 of those were the same car, which I filtered past at traffic lights after it had overtaken me once, and it overtook me again some time later.  If there's heavy traffic in the left lane, then I stick to the left side of the right hand lane, travelling at least as fast as the other traffic in it, but briefly moving to the left lane where possible when someone really wants to go faster.  If the left hand lane is heavily chewed up, which is the case in places on 24, then move to the right lane and speed up or down according to the condition of it, and how much / fast the traffic is going.

When riding on a normal, single lane each direction, road, with a fair bit of other traffic going my way, I tend to stay in the right hand side of the lane, and also try and go faster than the average traffic speed, overtaking when possible and moving to the left of the lane when faster traffic comes up behind me, which I find isn't very often.  If the traffic is sparse then I stick to the left of the lane - again, dependent on the condition of the road surface, as sooner or later someone coming the other way will overtake and force you onto the shoulder, no matter where you are on the road.

In short: it depends.

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Its a lot safer in my car. 

It's a lot safer not opening the front door and leaving your house too.

So.

Your point is what exactly?

This is a motorcycle forum.

Do you even ride a motorcycle?

If not, why are you even here?

5 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

So.

No need to be insulting mate, it's called a joke.  Not a fan then? 

58 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

So.

Like many on this Forum Guz - never rode a bike until they came here, or rode a Trumpet for 20 minutes in the 60's

Repost the same Ol' Same Ol' - cars are more safe than bikes ...

Funny that - I have been hit by car drivers, but never been hit by a biker ...

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Like many on this Forum Guz - never rode a bike until they came here

Good point! many that now consider themselves "Bikers" have no background in motorcycling.................

If you have been riding a larger capacity machine on the roads of Thailand in the manner it deserves and have to ask where you should be riding, quite honestly I'm surprised that they are still alive to ask the question :shock1:

Back in the day I was a "Greaser" if you were a real biker you were a greaser by virtue of your choice of transportation as the only way you kept the $loody thing on the road was constant maintenance and getting covered in grease n grime ???? changing clothes often was not possible as only owned two pairs of 501, money went on essentials like keeping bike on the road & the occasional glass of ale :wink:

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Like many on this Forum Guz - never rode a bike until they came here, or rode a Trumpet for 20 minutes in the 60's

Repost the same Ol' Same Ol' - cars are more safe than bikes ...

Funny that - I have been hit by car drivers, but never been hit by a biker ...

papa has been knocked over and injured by bikes 2x.

Knocked over by car 1x, but jumped clear safely.

Fell by self 100x.

5 5

On my various trips on Thai roads I constantly see signs that says motorbikes keep to left, keep to motorbike lane, generally I don't like it much, if I have any speed 60k/h+ I hate staying there, all the traffic coming in without looking what so ever, and of course the knights in unshining armour happily riding in opposite direction,  add to that occasional humongous potholes that can send you flying anywhere....

So I'm usually on the middle of left  lane or slightly to the left of middle at high speeds,  100k/h for sure...

But you really have to watch incoming overtaking traffic, they totally ignore bikers, and never signal with their head light like in orher countries either,  also those cutting corners all over the place...

One sign I noticed on the road the other day was advising motorbikes to keep to the left, and I think it was saying 65% of accidents to motorbikes happened to them when they are not on the left side / motorbike lane, although in Thai I thought that was the meaning...

Not a good stat, so watch out...!!! ?

On 3/10/2019 at 3:10 PM, CGW said:

Good point! many that now consider themselves "Bikers" have no background in motorcycling.................

If you have been riding a larger capacity machine on the roads of Thailand in the manner it deserves and have to ask where you should be riding, quite honestly I'm surprised that they are still alive to ask the question :shock1:

Back in the day I was a "Greaser" if you were a real biker you were a greaser by virtue of your choice of transportation as the only way you kept the $loody thing on the road was constant maintenance and getting covered in grease n grime ???? changing clothes often was not possible as only owned two pairs of 501, money went on essentials like keeping bike on the road & the occasional glass of ale :wink:

sorry , i've only been riding in Thailand for around 2 years, so i agree, not much experience here, which is why i ask questions. Maybe your the all knowing expert who knows everything, but i was always taught, no matter how good, how old, you never know everything, so always ask, and listen to other people

Been riding on and off since 1970, mostly in the UK, but also in Spain, Portugal and France. but i would never say i know everything about riding, if someone says somethings about different styles, different ways of riding then i listen, question, and ask 

is that so wrong ? or would your prefer to be the arrogant one who never listens and thinks he knows everything. Seen too many people die who thought they could handle bikes, who thought their way of riding was the only way

51 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

is that so wrong ?

Where do I say asking questions is wrong?

My point was, if you care to read and stop being so defensive was that Thai roads are no place to learn to ride, before anyone starts to ride in Thailand they should prepare them selves, a quick "google" comes up with this :- https://www.rta.ae/wpsv5/eservices/PDF_Catalog/Motorcycle_Handbook_EN.pdf  (there is doubtless more pertinent info, that took 20 seconds) sure it would have been a great help to you to have read before starting to ride here, you need to have the basics in place before riding in Thailand, a hell of a lot didn't have either experience or knowledge and paid a hefty price.

Ride safe!

On 3/8/2019 at 5:37 PM, NCC1701A said:

What do you wear at 120 kph on your scooter?

t-shirt shorts & flip flops has proven a successful fit

over the many years on thai roads, never gets too hot.

also use the smallest half egg like helmet for comfort.

for positioning, the wheel tracks all the way,

makes it easier for others to predict my movement, and i'm not occupying area for 2 bikes worth

Personally I prefer to stay in the middle of the lane because around here there's too much debris and loose stuff on the shoulder.

It does mean I have be ready to move over to the shoulder when oncoming traffic doesn't give a toss about me and decides to overtake a slower moving vehicle in front of them. 

If I stay too far left I'm in danger of buffalos and cows that venture onto the road, as well as people pulling out onto the road without looking. 

Personally I prefer to stay in the middle of the lane because around here there's too much debris and loose stuff on the shoulder.

It does mean I have be ready to move over to the shoulder when oncoming traffic doesn't give a toss about me and decides to overtake a slower moving vehicle in front of them. 

If I stay too far left I'm in danger of buffalos and cows that venture onto the road, as well as people pulling out onto the road without looking. 

Unfortunately, more likely un-tethered dogs (in my case & 10 days in a Trauma Ward)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/10/2019 at 4:04 PM, HLover said:

Please post videos of his escapades.

I think that guy types in third person - He is referring to himself. His handle seems to give that away. Not judging, though... Sometimes I type with a lisp for amusement.

To the OP, there are a couple of good posts on the first page. A defensive line on Thai (or all roads in the world) is a good option. There are plenty of tracks to scrape a peg. The one on the way to Kaeng Krachan in Petburi is a gem for tyre shredding fun.

On roads, I use a defensive line as noted above and by a few other posters. It offers you safety and still allows you a lot of enjoyment with a 'slow in, fast out' style. For example on a right hand turn, set your entry speed, hold a steady throttle. If you are already familiar with trail braking, do so to keep the forks compressed and minimise the bike's rake. That will give you better turn in. You should have your legs gripping the tank to stablise yourself and have your abdominal muscles engaged. There should be minimal load on your wrists.

Be safely on the left side of the lane but stay out of the inevitable rubble you find on the road side. Turn decisively and with force by pushing your right bar forward. Make sure you body is in good position as are both your feet. Left foot heel jammed against the peg with thigh hugging the tank. Right foot on the ball of your feet. Reach your body out to kiss the right hand mirror. look through the corner at all times. Aim for your your run through the corner to get you nearer to the centre line on your side of the lane.

If you see a car coming, you can easily run wide safely to get clear road. If all clear you can be twisting on the gas harder as you stand the bike up more. Actually by adding more throttle it will force the bike to want to stand up. If you can't see through the corner, slow down before you enter.

Rinse and repeat with a grin from ear to ear.

There will be a million better examples of a defensive line han what I have written here. Do a search and read and practice, read and practice. Keep a racing line for race tracks or very open clear roads where you can see oncoming traffic. The only racetrack tricks I use on the road are trail braking the front and using the rear brake gently to assist turning the bars harder to tighten my cornering if I am making a defensive move away from a pothole or the like. I actually use my rear brake a lot for stability, not just for braking.

One thing I would say is never stay in the far left side for long. Debris always ends up there. That means screws, nails, bits of wire and glass. It increases your chance of punctures.

Other times I move to the right of the lane is when there is a T intersection or cross roads where someone can pull out in front of me. One example is when I want to stay a little closer to the left is when I'm cresting a blind hill. I don't want to be too far left because there is always the possibility of a bike or trike going in either direction, but I would never want to be near the centre line.

I'll position myself so I can see around a car in front of me. I usually keep an eye on the vehicle in front of the vehicle in front of me's brake lights. It gives me that little bit extra reaction time which I have noticed I am starting to need these days.

Road conditions and line of sight and oncoming traffic guide me in my road positions.

16 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

You should have your legs gripping the tank to stablise yourself and have your abdominal muscles engaged.

:cheesy:

Yawn.

You are preaching to the majority of riders on step thru scooters here.

The tank is under the seat........

As for abdominal muscles, depends what i had for lunch........

On 3/13/2019 at 10:25 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Yawn.

That's why I specifically referred to the OP. He specifically said he had a bike 300cc and over. Do you and your mate who doesn't like lubricating things ever get sick of just being wrong?

Go push your Guzzi or ride your Honda Beat somewhere else until you have something useful or at least correct to offer 55555

1 hour ago, Farangwithaplan said:

That's why I specifically referred to the OP. He specifically said he had a bike 300cc and over. Do you and your mate who doesn't like lubricating things ever get sick of just being wrong?

Go push your Guzzi or ride your Honda Beat somewhere else until you have something useful or at least correct to offer 55555

To$$er.

And,

1. why do i have to push my Moto Guzzi?

2. I don't own or ride a Honda Beat.

Get your facts straight before opening your orifice.

To$$er.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:27 PM, Farangwithaplan said:

I think that guy types in third person - He is referring to himself. His handle seems to give that away. Not judging, though... Sometimes I type with a lisp for amusement.

To the OP, there are a couple of good posts on the first page. A defensive line on Thai (or all roads in the world) is a good option. There are plenty of tracks to scrape a peg. The one on the way to Kaeng Krachan in Petburi is a gem for tyre shredding fun.

On roads, I use a defensive line as noted above and by a few other posters. It offers you safety and still allows you a lot of enjoyment with a 'slow in, fast out' style. For example on a right hand turn, set your entry speed, hold a steady throttle. If you are already familiar with trail braking, do so to keep the forks compressed and minimise the bike's rake. That will give you better turn in. You should have your legs gripping the tank to stablise yourself and have your abdominal muscles engaged. There should be minimal load on your wrists.

Be safely on the left side of the lane but stay out of the inevitable rubble you find on the road side. Turn decisively and with force by pushing your right bar forward. Make sure you body is in good position as are both your feet. Left foot heel jammed against the peg with thigh hugging the tank. Right foot on the ball of your feet. Reach your body out to kiss the right hand mirror. look through the corner at all times. Aim for your your run through the corner to get you nearer to the centre line on your side of the lane.

If you see a car coming, you can easily run wide safely to get clear road. If all clear you can be twisting on the gas harder as you stand the bike up more. Actually by adding more throttle it will force the bike to want to stand up. If you can't see through the corner, slow down before you enter.

Rinse and repeat with a grin from ear to ear.

There will be a million better examples of a defensive line han what I have written here. Do a search and read and practice, read and practice. Keep a racing line for race tracks or very open clear roads where you can see oncoming traffic. The only racetrack tricks I use on the road are trail braking the front and using the rear brake gently to assist turning the bars harder to tighten my cornering if I am making a defensive move away from a pothole or the like. I actually use my rear brake a lot for stability, not just for braking.

One thing I would say is never stay in the far left side for long. Debris always ends up there. That means screws, nails, bits of wire and glass. It increases your chance of punctures.

Other times I move to the right of the lane is when there is a T intersection or cross roads where someone can pull out in front of me. One example is when I want to stay a little closer to the left is when I'm cresting a blind hill. I don't want to be too far left because there is always the possibility of a bike or trike going in either direction, but I would never want to be near the centre line.

I'll position myself so I can see around a car in front of me. I usually keep an eye on the vehicle in front of the vehicle in front of me's brake lights. It gives me that little bit extra reaction time which I have noticed I am starting to need these days.

Road conditions and line of sight and oncoming traffic guide me in my road positions.

So how long did it take you to write this twaddle?

You are preaching to posters with a CB300-500.

Not an R1 M1.

On a race track.

Most people who already know all the above, and more, as 2nd nature, just get on a bike and, er ride.

And don't write a story.

Or state the bleedin' obvious.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 11:25 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Yawn.

My case of beer is in the step-thru and I grip it with my legs. 

As mentioned by a few riders above I also claim the middle of the lane and always keep a clear view ahead, never settling in behind a wagon or van. 

Constantly having to concentrate takes some of the pleasure away from riding in Thailand but I can’t live without motorcycling.

A few weeks ago after no rain for weeks in Udon I was taking my girlfriend to work at 7.00 am, the roads were quiet but had been sprayed with water to keep the dust down. A car in front of me sped up to beat the red light and while turning right lost control taking out a guy on a scooter waiting on the opposite side of the road. The surface is like glass on this particular junction.

The worst I’ve experienced recently was riding pillion behind a big wagon pulling a trailer, there was a car between us and the wagon.

without warning a scooter came flying out from under the wagon hitting the car in front and we narrowly missed the mayhem.

My choice is always to pass and keep a clear view ahead. 

Archived