Uncomfortable mattress solution?

cyril sneer

All i've come across so far is foam toppers in Big C for 3000 baht, which is enough to buy a new mattress 

Is there any alternative methods? like something from a night market, or buying a sheet of foam etc.

replacing the mattress isn't an option (and i've tried flipping it)

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I use to own a furniture and mattress store.  Most likely the springs in the mattress have lost their resilience.  Mattresses have a life of between 7 to 10 years depending on the quality of the mattress and the weight of the sleeper(s).  Putting a topper on it will do nothing to improve the support.  You need to buy a new mattress

He hasn't actually said what the problem is.  If it is lack of support then yes, likely a springs issue. I was assuming he meant it is too hard, which is true of almost all mattresses here even when brand new. For that, a foam topper is the answer.

Mine is a Lady Americana, Queen sized it cost I think around 15K on sale (HomePro).

• Like 2

You can buy a new mattress at IKEA for under 4000 baht. Western standard , will save you money and give you a better sleep. 

First thing I did when I moved here.

https://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/products/30272301/#/00272312
https://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/24828/

I don't think a 3k foam mattress that roles up tight for transport is of western standard.

It would take 2 pro wrestlers to flip my mattress but the support is just amazing. Foam would be one step up from the floor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thais are used to hard mattresses, I've seen them sleeping soundly on bare floors. My solution with my GF was to buy a double bed topper to go on a king-size bed. That way we both sleep comfortably.

Polyurethane foam tends to build up too much body heat. Reconstituted polyurethane ( the multi-coloured stuff ) is even worse, because it is too hard as well. A waste of money.

The best mattress toppers are made from natural latex foam. I didn't get any change out of 15,000 baht when I bought mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Thais are used to hard mattresses, I've seen them sleeping soundly on bare floors. My solution with my GF was to buy a double bed topper to go on a king-size bed. That way we both sleep comfortably.

Me too. Like the Thais, I am a real man, without the need to be cuddled in some giant pillow like some effete baby.

Oh, oh,  to think your folk charged the Maxims at Pozieres...and you, their descendant, is swaddled in comfort. I can hear the cries of anguish from the heroes sleeping eternally at Villers-Bretonneux. Toss away your creature comfort, honour your ancestors!

I like a hard bed btw.

23 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

might splash out for the foam then, was just checking there wasn't a better alternative first

not sure it's better to buy from big c/tesco or lazada though

Foam would be the economic way to comfort.

You may want to try Tesco/Big C to avoid wasting time if the Lazada item is not as advertised.

32 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Me too. Like the Thais, I am a real man, without the need to be cuddled in some giant pillow like some effete baby.

Oh, oh,  to think your folk charged the Maxims at Pozieres...and you, their descendant, is swaddled in comfort. I can hear the cries of anguish from the heroes sleeping eternally at Villers-Bretonneux. Toss away your creature comfort, honour your ancestors!

I like a hard bed btw.

Masochism is not a forte of mine. Be my guest.

Something ironic about being accused of decadence by the citizen of a country that specializes in manufacturing vehicles with the handling characteristics of marshmallows.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Masochism is not a forte of mine. Be my guest.

Something ironic about being accused of decadence by the citizen of a country that specializes in manufacturing vehicles with the handling characteristics of marshmallows.

ha! Try one of those stupid Teslas bucko...

AliExpress has some options around the 1000 baht range

For those wanting a decent bed. I think spending around 5k is enough for a strong well fabricated mattress.

I recommend CNR centre Rd Sukhumvit for patts.

Screenshot_20190309-234111.png