How do I get an International Drivers License?

Pinot

Traveling in Europe for a couple of months and want to rent vehicles there. I don't know if my Thai car and bike licenses are going to cut it. 

There hasn't been a problem in the past using my Thai licenses, but I see in some places that require an International Drivers License. 

Easy, cheap way to get an International Drivers License? 

You need either a 5 year or a lifetime Thai license.

Take your Thai license to the Department of Land Transport along with your passport, a photocopy and two photos and ask them if it's enough.

Some may want a copy of your work permit or residency certificate aswell.

24 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Take your Thai license to the Department of Land Transport along with your passport, a photocopy and two photos and ask them if it's enough.

I got one issued after two years, and I think it's been this way for a while now. 

The list is about it, but easy to call ahead and ask, there are probably local variations, same as immigration.

56 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Yeah, got two of these...wait lifetime Thai License? 

I'll head to the Land Transport office, Thank you. 

In essence it is nothing more as a translation of your country licence. In Europe and US it is commonly distributed by automobile associations. But those for EU are now EU-wide-another thing the British have to adapt to when they break off.

A friend used his Thai licence in Oz alongside an international permit obtained in Thailand.

I'm sure googling you will eventually find where from. I don't think it's transport office.

Let me know if you can't find it and l can chase up with my friend where he got his.

I'm assuming European countries are included in the accepting countries.

2 hours ago, asanee said:

In essence it is nothing more as a translation of your country licence. In Europe and US it is commonly distributed by automobile associations. But those for EU are now EU-wide-another thing the British have to adapt to when they break off.

Yep, here in the USA you go to the AAA auto club office, they take a photo of you, glue it into a 6 or 7 page document that has a few languages, French, Chinese, English, etc.  That's about it, assuming of course you already have  USA driver license.  They are good for one year from data of issue.  I got one or two over the years, with the intent to give that to the car or bike rental place if needed.  I wouldn't care too much if they lost it, versus me giving them my actual driver license which is a pretty important document back in the states.

• 2 weeks later...

In Bangkok, go to the department of land near Mo Chit BTS. Find building 4  - it’s the one with a purple frontage. Then the International driving licence office is on ground floor first left. See attached image for documents to bring. Can get all necessary photocopies done very cheaply also.

On 3/18/2019 at 1:37 PM, Dinobot said:

They are strict in Europe about renting cars and needing an international licenses, so definitely make sure you get one before your trip.

I ave rented/drove cars in France, the UK and Greece on my 5 year thai license.

also the US

Archived