Prostate pharma Thailand

Inuk

I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate BHP and was prescribed by the urologist (private hospital) to take a course of a dual purpose capsule. The result was certainly beneficial in treatment terms. The downside was the cost - THB4,500/30 day supply. On top of this I have primary glaucoma which costs me another THB 1,700 for eyedrops. This may not seem much to the monied members but I found a pharmacy who would sell me the identical BHP capsules for THB 2,000/30 day supply which I was happy to pay - more than half the rip off hospital charge (N.B. Ozzie identical capsules are AUD 29.00/30 day or THB 657). Without warning the pharmacist stopped the supply to me saying out of stock. I don't think so as this was 7 weeks ago and seems more like a government directive to control pharma products. Does anyone know where I can source GSK Duodart here in Thailand at an acceptable price?

First of all, there is no government directive controlling the availability of this drug.

Have you tried other pharmacies? Just because one is out of stock doesn't mean everyplace is, I haven't heard any other reports of people being unable to get this.

Duodart is a combination of two drugs: Tamsulosin + Dutasteride. These can also be bought separately as the drugs Avodart (for the Dutasteride) and either Harnal OCAS or  Uroflow (for the tamsulosin). So if nowhere seems to have the Duodart try asking for those. It means taking 2 pills instead of one but is the exact same thing.

Never buy medications at the hospital unless you require a controlled substance (narcotic etc) as there is always a huge markup over pharmacy prices. Sometimes as much as 5 times or more.

If you haven't already, you should also start getting your eye drops at a pharmacy rather than the hospital.

• Like 2

Thank you Sheryl for your comments. In all due respect I have lived here 15 years, married with 2 boys which obviously you would not know. I am therefore familiar with hospital practices. The pharmacist told me that the stockist in BKK had run out. It was another pharmacist who told me that she was not supposed to sell this type of product to patients - perhaps a local 'agreement' with the 3 major private hospitals here. I have tried the 2 capsule route but without the real relief which Duodart brought. I have been in every pharmacy here in my city - same response. There are two more foreigners here in the same situation. A friend in Pattaya tells me the same story (hospitals only). Perhaps a tour around the pharmas in BKK is neccessary. Thank you anyway the reply.

If you are going to come into Bangkok looking for this, try at the distributor first which is Zuellig

Zuellig Pharma Ltd.
8-9/F, Ploenchit Center
2 Sukhumvit Road Kwaeng Klongtoey
Khet Klongtoey
Bangkok 10110
Thailand
Tel: +66 (2) 656 9800

You may be able to buy from them directly if you are willing to do so in bulk (e.g. a years worth or so) or if not they can tell you what pharmacies nearby they have supplied to.

They are hard to impossible to deal with one the phone, don't bother trying unless you have a Thai speaker to call for you and even then, may do better going in person.

It does not make sense that taking Avodart + Harnal OCAs did nto work for you but Duodart did - it is exactly the same thing. Same ingrediants, same dosage.

Collusion between local pharmacy(ies) and BPH is possible. If so, likely not specific to one drug. Avoid showing any sort of hospital packaging when buying drugs - copy the name out on a piece of paper and do nto say you were a patient at the hospital.

• 10 months later...

Update wanted.

Has anybody found a pharmacy in Thailand where Duodart is sold at less than THB4,500 for 30 capsules (=150 baht per day)?

Bumrungrad sold me 10 at that 150 baht price a week ago to get me started after urologist review (PSA 3.5 - BPH, but thankfully no cancer indications per ultrasound and finger up the bum), but I'll also look for tamsulosin and dutasteride when I do a trawl of my regional city (Ubon Ratchathani) on Monday.

Edited by SantiSuk