Marriage implications

I have a dear Thai friend excellent job, professional.

We've had a recent discussion about the future.

She is Islamic , 40,  had a relationship before.

She has said, perhaps understandably, for the relationship to proceed it has to be marriage to be "solidified"; I'm sure I don't have to express that further!

As I think most from the west know normally a relationship goes along the lines of one moving in with the other and seeing how it goes and step by step move forward, maybe marriage but often not.

My concern?

OK if I agree to this (been there done that if you know the OZ  family court its not an area you want to expose yourself to again) what are the implications.

So please Gents out there, please forget the asides, what I'm looking for is;

if I agree to this:

Under Thai Law and customs whats my legal position and position overall and the problems if the proverbial "hits the fan" or if this isn't for real.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, AntipodeanThai said:

So please Gents out there, please forget the asides, what I'm looking for is;

if I agree to this:

Under Thai Law and customs whats my legal position and position overall and the problems if the proverbial "hits the fan" or if this isn't for real.

Firstly are you muslim.?

Secondly a Muslim woman is formally forbidden to marry a non-Muslim man regardless of his religion

Thirdly you agree to marry by all accounts it's probably void and divorce in Thailand not same as the gone crazy Oz. 

No one has answered the OP's questions. 

I have been asking myself the same questions, except that my GF is Buddhist and that we have been together for almost 20 years. 

There is at least one advantage in being married to a Thai: the visa! 

Otherwise, it is quite difficult to talk about the legal aspects, because the rules are so flexible in Thailand, that they can mean anything, depending on who is sitting at each side of the table... 

13 hours ago, AntipodeanThai said:

She is Islamic , 40,  had a relationship before.

13 hours ago, AntipodeanThai said:

Under Thai Law and customs whats...

There might be other than Thai Law and customs, when a relationship is with an Islamic person.

Thai Law you can register a marriage at the district office (amphor), need some documents like authorized translation of passport, and both parts should verify that they are not married, yours a document from your embassy and authorized translated to Thai.

Thai customs (almost 95 percent of the nations population are Buddhists); when you sleep together you are considered as husband and wife; a village marriage ceremony, and party, has more importance than any official registration of a marriage; normally a sin sot (man pays dowry to brides family) is also required.

Thailand can divorce at the Amphur in minutes if both parties agree. Possessions split 50/50 obtained during marriage anything  before is your own.... In theory but doesn't always  work out that way. 

being a Muslim you would need to convert which providing you believe in Allah is simple Shahada at the Mosque.... to be halal men must be circumcised so bear that I'm mind. 

Thank you to all who are contributing here; I really do appreciate it very much and as a novice in this area as in Thailand your advice, and it is varied, is much appreciated.

It is not only opening my eyes but giving me a good picture on what may be in store if I choose to proceed with this.

Again thank you very much for your posts

I would prefer HELL over marrying a muslim and paying upfront (SINSOT), then divorcing and paying again...NO WAY!! Now, "IF" I marry, she can pay me sinsot...I'm worth it.  The vagina is not worth that much.  Short Time is way cheaper, more variety, less financial and emotional consequence, plus the retirement visa is easier than the marriage immigration BS.  Good luck though whatever path you choose.  This is only my opinion, NOT telling what path to choose...that's on you! 

I took out an Indonesian Muslim for some time. She wanted me to convert and marry but she wanted me to 'really' convert and follow all the Muslim Laws. That is as far as the relationship went. You will have to ask yourself if your lady will want the same thing. 

As far as marriage, it is pretty simple here. Go to Amphur, do the paperwork and in about 2 hours your married (if you have all your paperwork correct). I did not have a village wedding or pay sin sot as my wife is very modern and we both decided the money spent here could be used instead on renovating her house. 

Marriage is something not to be taken lightly and with it being with another faith most of us do not understand, it may either be easy or difficult. I would really want to sit down with her and discuss with her all of this and not just because she feels the need to get married, but the fact like in most relationships, you need plenty of time with each other (living together or at least spending a whole lot of time together) before such steps are taken.

Personally, if I could not 'try before I buy' for a period of time, I would not be interested as you do not know what you are in for. I am not worried about her virtue, but more about my sanity of marrying someone that I am compatible with. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:21 PM, khunPer said:

There might be other than Thai Law and customs, when a relationship is with an Islamic person.

Thai Law you can register a marriage at the district office (amphor), need some documents like authorized translation of passport, and both parts should verify that they are not married, yours a document from your embassy and authorized translated to Thai.

Thai customs (almost 95 percent of the nations population are Buddhists); when you sleep together you are considered as husband and wife; a village marriage ceremony, and party, has more importance than any official registration of a marriage; normally a sin sot (man pays dowry to brides family) is also required.

normally a sin sot (man pays dowry to brides family) is also required.

Only if the guy is mug enough to pay it. Sensible guys give it for show and get it back after.

That's Thai custom and they will often say that as he is marrying a Thai should abide by Thai custom. The response to that is to say that it's western custom for bride's father to pay for wedding, and as she is marrying a western man should abide by western custom. I think any such statement would put the sin sod demand to rest.

20 hours ago, AntipodeanThai said:

Thank you to all who are contributing here; I really do appreciate it very much and as a novice in this area as in Thailand your advice, and it is varied, is much appreciated.

It is not only opening my eyes but giving me a good picture on what may be in store if I choose to proceed with this.

Again thank you very much for your posts

I suggest you look through the archives of divorces to get some idea of what awaits if it does go pear shaped ( there are way, way more stories of divorce than of happy marriages, if that's a guide ). Marrying a Muslim also makes it oh so much more complicated. Even if she does not want you to convert, any children will be expected to be brought up Muslim.

17 hours ago, HLover said:

Query for those Thai-Muslim dating aficionados:

Why are their faces so chubby and bodies quite plump compared to their Buddhist sisters?

(diet, lack of exercise?)

They are much more likely to have Malay ancestry or ancestry from the South of Thailand. The look is quite different from people in the North or North-East. If you look at how populations of peoples now inhabiting Krabi versus peoples now inhabiting Nakhon Phanom arrived in Thailand, it is not surprising.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

normally a sin sot (man pays dowry to brides family) is also required.

Only if the guy is mug enough to pay it. Sensible guys give it for show and get it back after.

That's Thai custom and they will often say that as he is marrying a Thai should abide by Thai custom. The response to that is to say that it's western custom for bride's father to pay for wedding, and as she is marrying a western man should abide by western custom. I think any such statement would put the sin sod demand to rest.

...in Thailand?
So if a Thai lady marry a Western man in Farang-land, the Western man would pay sin sod, because that is Thai tradition..?

Alternatively, there is at the moment a younger Okay-looking durian-girl with a 10-million baht dowry available...????

Archived