Thai marriage

Spaniel

(Thai) wife and I were married in the USA many years ago.     With the new visa changes I think next year I will go with married to a Thai rather then the B800,000 in the bank method.     So we will probably have to get married here in Thailand?   My question is when we get married will she have to change here Thai name to mine or can she continue using here Thai name on her passport, driving license etc?     What else is required at Immigration using the married route?

How can you marry again in Thailand, you'd both have to prove your single status.

You need to get your US marriage registered in Thailand.

I believe the US Embassy can legalise your US marriage certificate, then have it translated into Thai, then legalised by the consular section of the MFA.

You can then register your foreign marriage at your local Amphoe.

You need to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration requires to apply for an extension of stay.

You will need to a affidavit at the US embassy to do a self certification of your marriage certificate. Then the affidavit and your marriage certificate will need to be translated to Thai and the translations will need to be certified by the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA in Bangkok. Then you can register your marriage at a Amphoe.

It will your wife's choice as to what name she wants to use.

Here is my general list of the requirements for a extension of stay based upon marriage. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

3 hours ago, Spaniel said:

What else is required at Immigration using the married route?

So far all said good info as said immigration offices can differ, if I were you I go for a visit and get the forms needed and what's required from your immigration office, it will save you a lot of "to-ing and fro-ing" at the time there are many more things to add to the general list given.

Thanks everyone for the replies.     I should have added that we live in Bangkok and will be applying at Chang Wattana Immigration office and I have a USA passport.    So it looks like a bit of a hassle, not unexpected, to get the marriage certified.

So I will start off at the US consulate to get that affidavit.    Then take it and our USA marriage certificate to one of those translation places to have both translated into Thai.    Then on to MFA to have both documents certified.   When this is completed on to our local amphur here in Kannayao to register and get the Kor Ror 22 as mentioned above.     

Kwasaki:   In your reply you mentioned their are many more things to add to the general list posted by ubonjoe.    Could you be a bit more specific as to what some of those things might be?    For the past 20 years I have been on the embassy income letter which I am sure you know was very hassle free.

My current visa expires on 10 April 2019 and on 19 March I will be going to Immigration to extend for another year using the B800,000 method so I will have plenty of time  to get my marriage certification completed in preparation for next years extension.

1 hour ago, Spaniel said:

Kwasaki:   In your reply you mentioned their are many more things to add to the general list posted by ubonjoe. 

In your case I think you don't need two photocopies and the following is what I need to apply in Sukhothai, that's why I said go to your immigration office first. 

Sukhothai immigration checklist for renewal of

1 year extension for temporary stay for marriage as of 2019.

Some Immigration officers prefers you to go about 1 month before or under to re-apply.

In my case :-

1. I fill out 2 TM7 application forms by hand & put contact phone  

number & and sign both sides of TM7 forms.

2. Affix late Colour Photos 4 x 6 cm to each TM7 form.

3. I take my original passport with at least 12 months validation with   

the original TM6 arrival/departure card and 90 day notification 

slip kept with passport. 

4. Take 2 colour photocopy’s of passport page showing your photo  

in Colour and the passport number on A4 paper.  

5. Take 2 photocopy’s of passport pages with last entry date into   

Thailand along with the adjoining page in passport on A4 paper.

6. Take 2 photocopy’s of all other passport stamped pages on A4 paper.          

7. Take 2 photocopy’s TM6 arrival/departure card with number on A4 paper.

8. Take 2 photocopy’s of the Bank passbook account details in applicants sole name also Bank passbook page showing not less than 

400,000 baht deposited for no less than a 2 month period prior to  

renewal of 1 year application date on A4 paper.

9. Arrange to have a Letter from the Bank before going, confirming the  

amount of 400,000bht has been deposited in the account of applicant for the 2 month required  period, make sure they sign in blue pen and update the Bank book on the day. take an A4 copy of letter.   

10. Take original Thai wife I.D. card and 2 photocopy’s of Thai

wife I.D. card with  both sides of card shown on A4 paper.    

11. Take original Thai wife blue House registration book and 2 photocopy’s of Thai wife blue House registration book on A4 paper.

12. Take original Khor Ror 3 Official Thai marriage Certificate and 2 

Photocopy’s of each side front & back on A4 paper. 

13. Take original part of Khor Ror 2 Official Thai marriage Certificate    

and 2 Photocopy’s of each side front & back on A4 paper. 

14. Take 8 printed photos:- 4 late colour photos of couple inside rooms of the house and 4 late colour photos of couple outside by house.      

Get 2 of each to shown on top half of 16 No. A4 photocopy paper.

15. Take 2 photocopy’s of diagram area map showing location of your home address on A4 paper & write Google map coordinates on map.   

Present TM7 forms and all Photocopies to immigration officer

for checking.

They will then rubber stamp a box section in blue on the papers to 

where you sign with your signature and also write your full

name in capital letters.

16.  Fill out and sign & write full name on 2 forms applying for extension  permit acknowledgement given by officer in Immigration office.  

17.  Also another 2 forms to fill out & sign & write full name   

on acknowledgement form of overstay.

18.  Sign & write full name on 2 house map location forms.

19.  While sitting in front of Immigration officer they will take a  

computer picture of you.

20.  Pay cash fee as of now 1,900bht on request and keep receipt for

when returning to have 1 year extension stamped in passport.  

21.  Wait until passport is returned to you and stamped with the date

you are to return to the office.

Just in case lol :- l take Yellow house + Birth certificate + The Khor Ror 3 translation.

Read careful try to edit but still not in line.

Archived