Video: Land of Smiles! Grinning American in custody after theft from Chiang Mai store

rooster59

Video: Land of Smiles! Grinning American in custody after theft from Chiang Mai store

cm.JPG

Image: Channel 7 TV news

Channel 7 TV news reported on the case of a 54 year old American man caught stealing from a convenience store in Chiang Mai. 

The thief - Gregory Paul Burke - was seen at the Muang police station beaming from ear to ear for the cameras.

Staff at the shop in Khotchasan Road caught him stuffing two big bags of instant coffee, some chews and a pack of sushi into his shirt and pants pockets. 

When confronted and asked to pay for the merchandise he refused and the cops were called.

He was taken into custody and charged with theft. 

Investigations are underway to try and determine if he is responsible for other thefts.

The TV news also reported that the American was carrying a knife.

Source: Channel 7 TV news

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-09

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

When confronted and asked to pay for the merchandise he refused and the cops were called.

So he was given the chance to get away with it,and refused to pay when caught,

what a wally.

regards worgeordie

7 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

caught him stuffing two big bags of instant coffee, some chews and a pack of sushi into his shirt

Disgusting diet, only worsened by his hair style and mangey beard.

3 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Petty theft. Hardly worth an article on a well respected site like this is it? More pressing matters out there one thinks. 

Disagree with you, he is a thief and it should be brought out in the open on here.

26 minutes ago, johng said:

Anyone remember this Thai TV advert ?   what was it for ..I vaguely remember it was a Telenor add

..but can't find any other clips of this ADD  (except my bad recording of it)

They have no notion of the meaning ‘land of smiles’. Thai smile can nveys a series of hidden emotions. To smile can meant to be sad, happy, amuse, bemuse, puzzled, clueless, admitting fault, non confrontational, escalating tension, in fact any human emotion masked by a smile. A smile can be performed followed by a muay Thai kick to your face. So the only genuine smile you can get from a thai is when they smile while pocketing your money. 

People don't think there's any link between the prominence given on a daily basis in the Thai press to stories linking foreigners to criminal or unwelcome behavior, and the government's daily publicizing of arrests, roundups and deportations of foreigners and tightening of visa requirements? I do.

As far as I can tell, these police activities are being grossly over-emphasized in the press in coordination with and support of the government's anti-immigrant policy, which is part of a broader paternalistic and misguided effort to 'restore happiness to the Thai people' by encouraging a return to traditional ways and values free from what are seen as corrupting foreign influences.

11 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

which is part of a broader paternalistic and misguided effort to 'restore happiness to the Thai people' by encouraging a return to traditional ways and values free from corrupting foreign influences.

So they're gonna roll back all the changes Phibun made in the 1940s, return topless traditional costumes and ban pad Thai.

Let's face it Thai tradition/hospitality/friendliness is as fake as their smiles.

Real Thailand is corruption, yaba, gang attacks and road rage.

55 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

six months inside, deportation and banned for life from coming back, not a lot to laugh about is it

Why did he kill someone? How about not wasting a space in a cell and just throw him out and blacklist him....if they locked everyone up for nicking a couple of hundred baht of goods half of Thailand would be behind bars.

39 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

So the only genuine smile you can get from a thai is when they smile while pocketing your money. 

How true. The only time my condo manager smiled was when I paid the rent. This was a girl, mind you, who sent me a Valentine's card. Talk about weird. I wouldn't even venture to put a toe into the black sea of infinity that was her mind, I'll stay on my placid island of ignorance, thank you very much. She did gibber at me in Thai every now and then, God knows what she was saying; it was probably significant. 

Archived